OC more effective then i thought

This is a discussion on OC more effective then i thought within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not OC often but when I do I make sure that I am not wearing a hoodie. When I see someone with a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: OC more effective then i thought

I do not OC often but when I do I make sure that I am not wearing a hoodie. When I see someone with a hoodie it always perks up my SA.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

2. Remove Ads

EdC
    I was wondering how you tell whether or not someone noticed you? If they make a comment, or otherwise react, either positively or negatively, then sure, you can tell. What if someone notices, but doesn't react in any way whatsoever? I guess you can be noticed, but not know you're being noticed. Or maybe you notice people not noticing you? Is it just the overall sense that people around you are in a fog, anyway, or your usual SA is just being tuned into such things? I'm not being sarcastic, just want to get your thoughts on that, so I threw out a couple of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by alafan
    Alabama dont really have a law saying its ok or not that i have seen.
    Laws do not allow actions, they prohibit them.
    (I suppose the argument could be made that having one law saying "no CCW" and another law saying "you can carry concealed if you get gov't permission" means that the second law allows an action.)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike
    I have OC'ed a Glock 23 in a black SERPA holster on my right hip while wearing beige pants and a white shirt and had no one notice the gun. I am constantly amazed at how many people live their lives in condition white all the time.
    +100
    Same with me last summer - tan pants, white polo, black G17 & OWB holster, & it took over an hour for someone to ID it as a pistol. Before that, people thought it was a 'diabetic supply kit'. (I kid you not. I couldn't make this stuff up.)

Then the next day, meeting with lawyers, I wore tan shorts, a white shirt, and a different pistol in an IWB holster. Stood up, shook hands, sat down, talked for a while, & they never noticed it. Looked suprised when I pointed it out.

Earlier this year, wearing a short jacket (concealing is illegal here) I was downtown with the "guns save lives" truck. Got to talking with the driver for a while, & he asked if OC was legal in WI, as he'd seen someone else handing out pamphlets who was OC something shiny.
    I said, "look at my hip".
    He did, & looked a little startled, then laughed.
    We'd been within 5' of each other, him on my strong side, for at least 5 minutes.
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male." R. Kipling

Defense fund donations gratefully accepted here (PayPal link).

Quote Originally Posted by alafan View Post
    Alabama dont really have a law saying its ok or not that i have seen. I'v seen friends of mine OC to just end up talking to the local PD for about 1 hour before they get to go on thier way.
    Just as Alabama does not have laws that say it is OK to pray. That your friends are released without being arrested and charged confirms it is legal. That they are stopped means some of your local PD are antis' and used the authority they were entrusted with to further their personal anti agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    I was wondering how you tell whether or not someone noticed you? If they make a comment, or otherwise react, either positively or negatively, then sure, you can tell. What if someone notices, but doesn't react in any way whatsoever? I guess you can be noticed, but not know you're being noticed. Or maybe you notice people not noticing you? Is it just the overall sense that people around you are in a fog, anyway, or your usual SA is just being tuned into such things? I'm not being sarcastic, just want to get your thoughts on that, so I threw out a couple of possibilities.
    Situational awareness. Aware of peoples points of focus. Yes that includes reactions looks or lack there of.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

+1 alafan....I would never open carry here in the BBBBBBBLUE state of Connecticut.....I like stealth...less hassles that way

Quote Originally Posted by alafan View Post
    Never OC . Its not worth it to put up LEO'S think about it here. Alabama dont really have a law saying its ok or not that i have seen. I'v seen friends of mine OC to just end up talking to the local PD for about 1 hour before they get to go on thier way.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Administrator
    Poor word choice in the thread title.

I'm thinking "less noticeable" or more inconspicuous would probably have been more applicable to the actual thread topic.

My daughter works at a BBQ place and told me this morning that last night some "dude with a gun" came in to the place. She said "it was so freaky". I said "people who OC are not going to be felons therefore you can rest assured knowing the following things about this guy:
    1. He isn't a convicted felon
    2. He has never been involved in a violent crime
    3. he has never been involved in domestic violence
    4. Is unable to consume alcohol and be drunk and dumb

What do you know about all your other patrons?"

My own daughter, scared of guns. I OC around the house all the time and CC everywhere we go, yet she still is caught up like the rest of the uneducated public in "guns are bad".

People are bad, guns protect me from bad people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    I think more people notice then you guys think notice. I think it should be said most people don't stare or act like idiots when you open carry.
    I also respectfully disagree, most people are clueless to their surroundings, not be cynical but just honest. Everyday I'll say to people while driving, or eating "Did you notice x,y,z?" Most of the time those I ask never pick up what I seem to pick up on. I'm not superman but my career has made me really observant, most people are not.

We live in a society of people who are on auto pilot. They are busy keeping themselves occupied.

Walking in the store parking lot while talking on their phone. Victim

Jogging with their ipod. Victim

I see these two type of situations all the time. I think about their situational awareness and how easy it would be for someone to take advantage of thier nieve nature. People are not aware of their surrondings. People are as Jesus says "you are like sheep". I haven't seen anyone prove the Bible wrong yet. Nor will I.

Sheep, Sheep, Sheep, Its throughout the New testament.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links