OC more effective then i thought

This is a discussion on OC more effective then i thought within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I was in town with the gf and friends and nobody realized I was ocing until we got ice cream, it was night ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: OC more effective then i thought

Last night I was in town with the gf and friends and nobody realized I was ocing until we got ice cream, it was night and my hoodie was black and so was my holster, anyone ever have this experience before?
    LongRider likes this.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Most of the time no one notices I am OCing. Children notice more than anyone. It's actually a scary thought, how zoned out people are that they don't realize someone is carrying a firearm. That being said, I OC 100% of time time.
    MKEgal likes this.

A lot of people zone out and probably unconsciously write it off as a cell phone holster or similar. I find myself doing the opposite these days; noticing cell phone holsters (even though FL has no general OC, and I've never actually seen an OCer)
    MKEgal and Tzadik like this.

I've OC'd in a room full of people for hours...and it's only when someone has accidentally bumped into me that they've actually looked down and seen my gun ...followed by stupid remarks that they regret later (after they get educated)....then ask me to go with them to the LGS...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    No body really notices mine either. It just depends on the crowd, younger people, and way older people are the ones usually noticing. Middle age folks walk around clueless.

I find myself doing what Paul34 does. Looking at cellphone holders and trying to see if people are printing. I also look at people hands rather than their face. You can't tell if someone is going to stab you or shoot you by looking at their face, hands= intent. I'm not a LEO, although I have a few friends that are. After they explained the whole hand thing, I started looking.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Never OC . Its not worth it to put up LEO'S think about it here. Alabama dont really have a law saying its ok or not that i have seen. I'v seen friends of mine OC to just end up talking to the local PD for about 1 hour before they get to go on thier way.

Quote Originally Posted by alafan View Post
    Never OC . Its not worth it to put up LEO'S think about it here. Alabama dont really have a law saying its ok or not that i have seen. I'v seen friends of mine OC to just end up talking to the local PD for about 1 hour before they get to go on thier way.
    As the rules state.
    This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.
    Move along.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Quote Originally Posted by alafan View Post
    I'v seen friends of mine OC to just end up talking to the local PD for about 1 hour before they get to go on thier way.
    Must be legal then. Either that or the local PD chose to disregard a standing statute.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If I were to notice you OC'ing, you wouldn't know it, as I'm not going to point it out to you or make a big deal of it. So don't think people don't notice--they just may not care.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I don't understand the correlation between the title of the thread and the contents of the OP. Would someone be good enough to enlighten me.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Maybe instead of the word 'effective' he could have used 'inconspicuous' I don't know what he was thinking
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I don't understand the correlation between the title of the thread and the contents of the OP. Would someone be good enough to enlighten me.
    I thought this was going to be about the effectiveness of open carry but I did not see this in the OP's thread except for the title.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Perhaps effectiveness = ability to not be noticed? But then, would not the most "effective" method be CC?

Just wanted feedback on other people that's why I asked, point to add here in montana you can't cc in places were alcohol is sold and consumed
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

I've been a few minutes into a conversation before the person noticed. Most folks don't notice or don't care. I had a guy in Walmart that would not come down the isle I was on. He kept coming back and looking down the isle while we were checking something out. He made me nervous, lol.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links