OC'D in Wal Mart today....been a LONG time.

This is a discussion on OC'D in Wal Mart today....been a LONG time. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had to make an emergency trip to Wal Mart today....had a blow out on a month old tire. Changed the darned thing...and in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I had to make an emergency trip to Wal Mart today....had a blow out on a month old tire. Changed the darned thing...and in the process got my gray sweatshirt FILTHY. I mean I looked like an Oklahoma Wildcatter....grease EVERYWHERE.

I was driving my old truck....1989 GMC 4X4 (429,000miles and STILL runs like new) that I don't have the heart to get rid of...I drive it to keep my Tahoe from getting sassy. But the truck is my hunting, fishing, busting brush, heading for the back country, going to the range, and feedstore truck. BUT...it is a mud and dirt covered greasy pig to say the least.

Anyway...I got filthy.

I hate to be filthy so I took off my sweatshirt and was left with my Mighty Mouse T-Shirt and no cover garment.

I was carrying my bright stainless Colt 1911 .38 Super with elk stag grips...yeah yeah...it is my BBQ gun.

I went into the tire center to get my tire replaced and the guy behind the counter started writing me up, then paused when he saw my pistol.

He rolled his eyes and said..."Another damn gun nut! Probably going to start shooting the place up!" and went to get someone else to wait on me.

The department manager came up to where I was and asked if I had a problem.

"Other than your employee calling me a damn gun nut, and making the assertion that I was here to shoot the place up...no, I have no problem. Now, Get my tire replaced, balanced, and remounted. You have fifteen minutes before I go up front and talk to the store director."

"Well I..."

"You nothing...I am a retired police officer, and I still work part time AS a police officer. Even if I weren't, carrying a firearm in Arizona is legal, AND you have no signs posted here saying that it is against Wal Mart policy to carry a firearm. The issue is NOT my gun, but the rude and shabby way I was treated by your employee and now by you. In fact...nevermind. I will go get the director, and then you can explain to him why I am going to another store and will never come into this one again, and why I will follow that up with letters, e-mails and phone calls to corporate headquarters."

His tone changed IMMEDIATELY. He got all sorts of apologetic and contrite. My tire was replaced, balanced, remounted AND they were all rotated in about 14 and a half minutes!

I am not one to get bent out of shape like that...but man, it hit me the wrong way, especially after the events of the last two weeks down here. I wish my wife would have been there...she has a way of keeping my kettle lid from steaming off when confronted by full frontal stupidity. I mean really? I wanted to tear this guy a new and bloody turd cutter.

I was even surprised at how mad he made me. I never yelled or raised my voice, I never do...yelling is for the weak minded...but I was very very clear, and more than just a bit irritated.

As I sat down to wait...a lady about 80 years old sat down next to me. She said "I am going to sit right here with you young man. If anyone gives you anymore poop (exact words) they can deal with me. I feel safe with you here."

BLESS HER HEART! Go Granny Go!

So...I walked her to her car and helped her load her small cart of groceries into it after the tires were done. You think a Wal Mart employee would help her with that? Leave it to some damn gun nut.

As a bonus....I went over to Sporting Goods...where I have always been treated well. They had Winchester Whote boxes of 357 Sig AND some 38 Super for $10 per 50 round box. Apparently one of the guys ordered the Sig and Super thinking it was Mag and Super. They had six boxes of Sig and 4 boxes of Super...I bought them all. Ball ammo of course, but I reload, and 500 rounds of reloadable Super and Sig is always a good thing to have around.
    Last edited by AZ Infidel; January 21st, 2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

Sometimes, the mouse in its naivete growls at the cat. It is usually a mistake to do so.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member

What people don't realize is us "gun nuts" aren't the problem... it's the cold blooded murderers they need to worry about.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

It was prolly those grips that did it... j/k!

Guantes!! Excellent! Is that yours or did you steal it from somewhere?
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Way to tell em'. LOL I hope the turd that made the comment in the first place gets his new one.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Chivvalry,
    That's mine.

AZI,
    Good job, especially re Granny.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

You handled the situation great probably much calmer than I would have been.
    Glock G22 .40 Cal.
    SA 1911 A-1 .45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    It was prolly those grips that did it... j/k!

Guantes!! Excellent! Is that yours or did you steal it from somewhere?
    Come on Chivv....they are elk stag, not pearl. Besides...the gun was a gift from my wife. Not to say that I don't love it to peices, and given the choice I would still go with the elk grip panels.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Infidel View Post
    Come on Chivv....they are elk stag, not pearl. Besides...the gun was a gift from my wife. Not to say that I don't love it to peices, and given the choice I would still go with the elk grip panels.
    LOL, yah, just yanking your chain... pics?
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Great handling and I was thrilled to hear such support coming from a random stranger.

Well done. Stay safe!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Good for you. Ya done good!

Eh...it is what it was. I can't WAIT until the new house is built way up north and we are in the country again.

I'm simply amazed at how often these folks feel perfectly comfortable shooting off at the mouth to a "gun nut." We must not be that dangerous for them to be that comfortable running their mouth.

I went around with an Asst Mgr at WM while OC'ing. He finally just walked off. Took a while to get that settled.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

God bless the greatest generation!

Wally-World is always a 50/50 adventure as best. Bravo Zulu on the way you AND Granny handled that.

(The discreption of your BBQ sidearm sounds SWEET ! PICS)
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Good job, great response to the counter guy. I'd still be going to the store manager and let him know what clerk "A" said.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links