Man Open Carries Rifle At Mall And Is Harassed... - Page 4

Man Open Carries Rifle At Mall And Is Harassed...

This is a discussion on Man Open Carries Rifle At Mall And Is Harassed... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most likely one of two scenarios... either he is a rabid anti that is attempting to discredit gun owners by posing as one and acting ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Man Open Carries Rifle At Mall And Is Harassed...

Most likely one of two scenarios... either he is a rabid anti that is attempting to discredit gun owners by posing as one and acting like a complete idiot or he is about as dense as a lead brick.

That said... I hope this doesnt lead to new laws that restrict the open carrying of a rifle. At this point I am hard pressed to know of any place someone would consider carrying a rifle "reasonable" other than the woods... and the only "reasonable" rifle there would probably be a low round count bolt action.... or perhaps a blackpowder flintlock... Be careful with your condemnation... be very careful.

BTW, toroop's previous posts have made some believe he is a closet anti-gun advocate... his comments about this guy being his hero are on par for those comments.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Or it can go like this:
    he sees you and says "oh crap that guy has a gun, I'm not messing with him, the people who carry guns mean business and know how to use them, I'm picking an easier target."

It also can go your way, even though there have been no reports of OC being shot first.

P.S. Germany allows CC? I'm impressed can you tell me more about that process? post message me if you wish.
    Nobody except celebrities or politicians can carry a concealed weapon in Germany. The gun and knife laws here are VERY strict and at some point RIDICULOUS. For example, you need a special permit to conceal carry a "fake gun" (rubber, blank or whatever) and you need to take a special course on how to properly use it. What the hell!!!!!

I am currently studying here (MBA) and can only conceal carry a Spyderco UK Pen knife and a tiny bottle pepper spray that is barely legal. God do I miss all of my handguns! Nonetheless, it is very safe here and the cops are well armed with Heckler & Koch P2000 in .40 S&W or Heckler & Koch MP5 carbines and drive around in BMW or VW patrols. Some of them also carry Walther P99 or Heckler & Koch P7 in 9mm. They are very professional, abundant, well paid and trained so that is a relief. Nonetheless, I know better than to let my guard down so I have my sharp as a razor Spyderco knife and pepper spray always with me in case SHTF. I know, my "in case SHTF" gear in Germany is a pocket knife and pepper spray. How crappy is that? Normally my SHTF gear would be my Mossberg 590A1 9 shot 12 gauge and an HK45 semi-auto pistol in .45 Auto. So at first I felt weird in Germany.

I am originally from Costa Rica and that is where I have my CCW license and I carry 24/7. The crime there is very bad due to drug trafficking and ilegal immigration from Nicaragua, Colombia, Dominican Republic and Haiti. When I go home on vacation, I am always packing heat at 4 o'clock with a S&W 442 as BUG in my front right pocket inside a Desantis Nemesis holster and a Spyderco Military clipped on my weak side pocket.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I agree that there are somethings that shouldn't be done. I also understand that people may think he is nuts and try to get laws passed banning guns, OC, CC etc. But look at it this way. It was not a guy committing a crime, he didn't shoot anyone, he didn't rob anyone. It was a positive OC. If people saw more guns that don't do harm, like they see in the news, and the movies, then maybe, we are all better off. Think about it. DESENSITIZE the public to firearms so they don't think ever single one they see is going to do harm.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Just because it is legal doesn't necessarily mean it is smart.
    +1 Exactly! with Tucson, the Walmart shooting, the "mishandled" pistol at the high school in CA, we don't need this kind of attention at the moment.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    He was walking around with an automatic weapon? Or an p90s rifle? I'm confused how average people can tell the difference between a p90 and an p90s by just looking at it from a distance? They must know something I don't...
    Razor,

A P90 is an SBR.
    A PS90 which is the civilian markets variant has a 16" barrel and is highly visible as being different in OAL from that of the P90.

I have IRL handled and fired both.
    The difference between them for this item alone is immediately obvious even at distance.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

We dont' need Mall Ninjas, they dont' help the cause. Carrying the AR15 was 'showmanship" that turns people away from "those gun nuts" (as they see it).
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    I dont see anything wrong with it, I recall Israeli citizens carrying automatic weapons.... But yea YOU could argue its dif.
    Israel also has a "No terrorist prisoners" policy....meaning if a terrorist happens to get wounded and is on the ground bleeding.....you go up to him or her and put a round in the head.
    "You fight the way you Train"

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I agree that there are somethings that shouldn't be done. I also understand that people may think he is nuts and try to get laws passed banning guns, OC, CC etc. But look at it this way. It was not a guy committing a crime, he didn't shoot anyone, he didn't rob anyone. It was a positive OC. If people saw more guns that don't do harm, like they see in the news, and the movies, then maybe, we are all better off. Think about it. DESENSITIZE the public to firearms so they don't think ever single one they see is going to do harm.
    As long as we have idiots shooting people there is no way you are going to get all people used to guns. This idiot should have realized that this is not a good time to be walking around with a rifle in public. What was he thinking........he needs a foot in the ass to wake him up.
    "You fight the way you Train"

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Why did he have these guns? Certainly not for self defense. They weren't even loaded,

Clearly his antics were just a continued effort to bring attention to himself or make some kind of political statement. Meanwhile he wastes the LEO's time and patience when they could be after real crooks.

Sadly, the only political statement that will be heard by his actions are "if people feel the need to abuse the gun laws with no clear purpose other than frightening others or bringing attention to themselves, then perhaps gun laws need to be revised."

I am all for having the legal RIGHT to carry an AR15 in public (especially considering that I own one ), but that doesn't mean you SHOULD carry an AR15 in public. There's just no need to make a scene like that.
    So you may have the right to do something, but you should not do it? Does that apply to religion or speech as well? What about protesting? I am glad the Founding Fathers did not have that train of thought otherwise me might still be bowing to an English King. Sorry but freedom is not pretty.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Most likely one of two scenarios... either he is a rabid anti that is attempting to discredit gun owners by posing as one and acting like a complete idiot or he is about as dense as a lead brick.

That said... I hope this doesnt lead to new laws that restrict the open carrying of a rifle. At this point I am hard pressed to know of any place someone would consider carrying a rifle "reasonable" other than the woods... and the only "reasonable" rifle there would probably be a low round count bolt action.... or perhaps a blackpowder flintlock... Be careful with your condemnation... be very careful.

BTW, toroop's previous posts have made some believe he is a closet anti-gun advocate... his comments about this guy being his hero are on par for those comments.
    Why am I an anti-gun advocate? Because I think that this guy does the same thing as other open carriers and is thus a person who is fighting for our civil rights? He is using open carry as his method and is an open carry hero. He just used a rifle to make his point rather than a pistol or revolver? I guess sarcasm is lost on you.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I......have a different opinion about the gentleman. I'll leave it at that.
    Yep, that's a fact. Forum rules prevent what I'd like to reply. He wanted attention; he got it. Now he has to deal with what he sowed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    So you may have the right to do something, but you should not do it? Does that apply to religion or speech as well? What about protesting? I am glad the Founding Fathers did not have that train of thought otherwise me might still be bowing to an English King. Sorry but freedom is not pretty.
    Yes, that applies to religion and speech and just about everything. Sound judgment doesn't start with pretending you are dealing with an English King. It starts by being realistic about the world you presently live in. Sound judgment includes an element of self-moderation about things. In short, if you bring attention to yourself by acting nuts, you will be treated as if you are nuts.

This man did nothing legally wrong, but he lacked any and all judgment about the consequences of his actions, about how others would react, about how he would affect the cause of responsible gun owners.

There was a time 55 years ago I openly carried a rifle on the NYC subway, no problem. Those days are long gone.

And, the mall is private property. Posted or not, openly carrying a rifle is going to cause the owner or management to pay attention --no different than if you showed up at my door openly carrying a rifle. Once on my property I get to make the rules.

Like it or not, legal or not, in today's world which has seen its share of nut jobs open fire on the streets and organized terrorists do all manner of violent acts, an openly carried rifle is going to raise eyebrows and engender fear. Anyone who doesn't comprehend that is missing a few. Venue must also be considered. What you can do in a rural area and what you can do in a town, and what you can do in a city may all be legally the same, but are not the same in a practical sense.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by black knife View Post
    As long as we have idiots shooting people there is no way you are going to get all people used to guns. This idiot should have realized that this is not a good time to be walking around with a rifle in public. What was he thinking........he needs a foot in the ass to wake him up.
    I agree that you can't get everyone used to guns, and an AR-15 is not the way to do it. But I truly believe that if All the CCer's OCed handguns in their states that Allowed it for three months straight, this is one possible outcome.

:Regular people would see how many good law abiding citizens actually carry guns in and among them everyday without "mass" shootings. They would see not everyone with a gun is going to kill people. And then they could all chill out when these kinds of things happen. People would at first call the police, but after the 'X' amounts of calls the police would say it is legal to OC Mrs. have a good day.

Gun Safety is about educating the uneducated.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Office: "Not open carry for an assault rifle"

Taylor: "Yes it is."

Taylor was right.

Right to Carry any legal weapon.

I agree that it is not smart or logical to open carry certain types of weapons in certain areas. There is a place and a time for everything. However, I will argue to my death the right for each one of us to make up our own minds as to when and where this is. The LAST thing I want to see is for more restrictions and "dumb" laws.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links