Man Open Carries Rifle At Mall And Is Harassed...

This is a discussion on Man Open Carries Rifle At Mall And Is Harassed... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Link to story with 9-11 phone call: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14047833 So at a mall in Utah, a man is carrying an AR15 and a pistol just walking ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar

Link to story with 9-11 phone call:
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14047833

So at a mall in Utah, a man is carrying an AR15 and a pistol just walking around. He was stopped by local LEOs and charged with disorderly conduct.

This link contains an interview wit the open carry warrior: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14078120

Just wanted to share. I see him as a true open carry hero! I suspect the charges will be dropped.

I wanted to add he had a leather coat and a BERET! Awesomeness.

"Common sense would state you don't walk down the street with a rifle, but Utah State Law says you can, so it's very debatable on what's common sense or not," Martinez said.

"I wouldn't walk down the street with a rifle, but that's me," Martinez added. "It doesn't mean you can't, because right now, this guy wasn't violating any law when it comes to the guns."

Knowing I will catch flack for this, the choice to carry an AR15 slung over your shoulder might not be the best choice. Open or concealed carry is a right, but I agree common sense should come into play here. Just my opinion, but a handgun, or even two, would make more sense...
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

VIP Member
    I......have a different opinion about the gentleman. I'll leave it at that.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post

You got that right!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yep. I do not think he did anyone any favors in his actions. Nerves are a bit frayed right now, rightly or wrongly, and this just seems to be poking a sharp stick into a tender spot. That is generally not a wise thing to do, unless you are just a glutton for harassment. Each to his/her own though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Yep. I do not think he did anyone any favors in his actions. Nerves are a bit frayed right now, rightly or wrongly, and this just seems to be poking a sharp stick into a tender spot. That is generally not a wise thing to do, unless you are just a glutton for harassment. Each to his/her own though.
    Much more eloquent than I could have been Rock. +1
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Tucson and now Seattle.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Legal or not, a guy walking around with a rifle over his shoulder is asking for trouble. I'm all for legal carry, but that is just absurd. In light of all the shootings, this move was in very bad taste. I'm sure i'll be flamed for this, but I think open carry of any kind is silly. In my opinion, open carry is just screaming for attention. Or someone who just loves to argue or debate the 2nd amendment every chance he gets. Lemme go grab some popcorn so I have a snack while everyone flames me :)

Hard to justify a rifle for personal self defense in a crowded location. We have the right to bear arms but should be able to articulate some rationale for any given case. Self defense is the best rationale but should be backed up with the proper tools to accomplish that.

I agree...
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Just wanted to share. I see him as a true open carry hero
    I hope you're joking. I won't post what I think of him but I will say his timing couldn't have been worse.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgDog View Post
    Hard to justify a rifle for personal self defense in a crowded location. We have the right to bear arms but should be able to articulate some rationale for any given case. Self defense is the best rationale but should be backed up with the proper tools to accomplish that.
    so a shotgun would be ok with you?
    that is much better for self defense than a simple handgun.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Why did he have these guns? Certainly not for self defense. They weren't even loaded,

Police say this isn't the first time they've had a run-in with Taylor.

"We dealt with him in the middle of December, two days back to back for the exact same thing, walking down the street with guns that were not loaded,"
    Clearly his antics were just a continued effort to bring attention to himself or make some kind of political statement. Meanwhile he wastes the LEO's time and patience when they could be after real crooks.

Sadly, the only political statement that will be heard by his actions are "if people feel the need to abuse the gun laws with no clear purpose other than frightening others or bringing attention to themselves, then perhaps gun laws need to be revised."

I am all for having the legal RIGHT to carry an AR15 in public (especially considering that I own one ), but that doesn't mean you SHOULD carry an AR15 in public. There's just no need to make a scene like that.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    so a shotgun would be ok with you?
    that is much better for self defense than a simple handgun.
    I disagree that legal shotguns are better than a handgun for portable self defense. Handgun is the optimal tool, that is why we carry them, and that is why that carry tool is easily justified. We don't NEED to justify anything, but it makes all of us look like insensitive dicks when some idiot wants to make an obnoxious demonstrative statement as the reason for carrying a gun.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links