Two open carry bills in OK

This is a discussion on Two open carry bills in OK within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decided to take a look at proposed legislation this morning and have found at least two bills which would allow open carry. HB 1470 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two open carry bills in OK

I decided to take a look at proposed legislation this morning and have found at least two bills which would allow open carry. HB 1470 would allow those with concealed carry licenses to carry openly as well, while SB 856 would leave concealed carry laws as they are, and allow unlicensed open carry of any legal firearm by anyone age 18 or over.

I'd personally be satisfied with HB 1470 as a starting point, however SB 856 would be a massive step towards constitutional carry, Arizona-style. Thoughts? I've already had a busy morning. I've got a thread going in the legislation forum with other proposed bills and have individually emailed the two senators and 4 representatives responsible for authoring them.

HB 1470: Dennis Johnson - dennis.johnson@okhouse.gov
    SB 856: Steve Russell - russell@oksenate.gov
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

if enough states adopt Open Carry, then I reckon we can do away with the reciprocity agreements between the states? I'd be for that!
    "Brains before Bullets"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    if enough states adopt Open Carry, then I reckon we can do away with the reciprocity agreements between the states? I'd be for that!
    Depends on how the states laws are written. Indiana is Licenced Open Carry.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think OC will pass this year, with a pro gun Republican Governor.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

So long as they have the proper preemption to go with it.

CO is OC Except in Denver city and county, and at least 5 other municipalities on the front range.

CC got the preemption but the OC did not make it.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

More and more, open carry is becoming more and more accepted again. Pretty soon, maybe this country could actually become just like the old West. A safer place where anyone can carry openly and bad guys are scared to show their true colors. Wouldn't that be a great thing?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

These bills should be heard this week, possibly today.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

how did the vote go,pass or fail?............

Yes, whats the latest on this please?

My blog

VIP Member
    Oklahoma is OK
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Its sad how easily this measure passed during the last session when those voting for it knew the Governor would veto the bill. No that we have a Governor who says she will sign the bill many of the same legislators have got cold feet. They do not want to vote on the bill now that it might actually mean something.

Plain language they are liars.

Michael

Yeah, I wrote an open letter to every person who changed their vote or abstained from voting when the time came to override the veto, posted it on my blog and emailed it to each of them. For all the good it'd do....
    My blog

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Yeah, I wrote an open letter to every person who changed their vote or abstained from voting when the time came to override the veto, posted it on my blog and emailed it to each of them. For all the good it'd do....
    +1................

The latest on this is HB 1796, a legislative referendum that passed 17-0 and would allow Oklahomans to vote on the open carry issue. Several amendments have been added to it that all look very good.
    here is the meat of the article.

FLOOR AMENDMENTS FOR HB1796 POSTED

There are 9 floor amendments for HB1796 from Rep. Steve Martin, Rep. Mike Ritze, Rep. Mike Reynolds, Rep. Lewis Moore, Rep. David Derby, and Rep. John Bennett. Most either remove the ballot provisions or add a reasonable fear provision to the Unlawful Carry statute.

While this is the same reasonable fear provision that was in HB1647, it is additional to the handgun license, meaning it basically offers an emergency option for carrying a firearm without a license.

The amendment that stands out is FA7 by Rep. David Derby. It basically repeals virtually all Oklahoma firearm laws and add this new one:
    “SECTION 1. NEW LAW A new section of law to be codified in the Oklahoma Statutes as Section 1291<Section No.><> of Title 21<Title No.><>, unless there is created a duplication in numbering, reads as follows:

Oklahoma shall be a Second Amendment state. All citizens have the individual right to keep and bear arms for his or her protection.

Persons or entities who prevent a citizen from exercising his or her individual Second Amendment rights are assuming the liability for protecting such citizen.

Any citizen of Oklahoma may request an endorsement on his or her Oklahoma driver license to serve as a concealed carry permit for recognition in this state and other states.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links