Anyone else been thanked for OCing?

This is a discussion on Anyone else been thanked for OCing? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am moving to Georgia, and well I figured I would put my money where my mouth was and OC in Georgia since I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else been thanked for OCing?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar

I am moving to Georgia, and well I figured I would put my money where my mouth was and OC in Georgia since I am very Pro OC, done it a few times and tonight I was approached by a older gentleman and sorry if I misquote from memory "Thank you so much, I wish more people had the guts to carry like you do."
    He then shook my hand and said have a good night. I was a little flustered, and paid attention a lot more after that, paranoia kicked in then. I continued shopping and finally left the store, making sure I wasn't followed the whole time. Over all not a bad experience, just one I've never heard of before.

Anyone else ever been thanked or had such a positive response to them OCing?

My fiance was kinda tickled about it as a side note.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I opened my friend's eyes to the darker side of this world and those that know I carry concealed say they feel safer when I'm around. Other then that the only time I OC is when I'm in the car, but then again I'm low key, the kind that disappears into a crowd. I have noted others OCing before, though I've never said anything to them, usually a nod and a slight smile gets the message across that I'm a fellow carrier and then I'm on my way.

Just curious, but what part of Georgia?

I've had some good conversations sparked by OC'ing, but never thanked for doing it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I've been thanked several times.

I think the count is up to 5 times now.

Like Sleipnir, I stay pretty low key and CC 'most' of the time. I've had questions and short conversations start up while OC'ing but never thanked for it. Others, even some who openly dislike gun in general, have expressed a comfort in having me around "sometimes'.....mostly women-friends of my wife, and usually during an out-of-area 'adventure' or something like that.

Now, you pointed out he was an older gentleman and they lived in a diffrent era with diffrent 'attitudes' and outlooks towards things as well.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

i've been thanked for CCing (OC not quite legal in this state just yet) i was invited to a b-day party for a girl i didn't know. my buddies sister in law. he kinda invited me because he knows i carry and would help keep them safe. they like to party, and they are safe about it... but they encounter weird people sometimes. i told them they should get a gun. they kinda fear them in their own hands.. but with a trusted friend, they dont. also, his sister in law likes to wonder/mingle when she's drunk and weird guys tend to gravitate towards her because she's really flirty. but once the guys try to take her home she'll resist. so i was there as a deterrent first as her stand-in boy friend. i guess in the past she's even been drugged because of her methods of flirting and then walking away.. so i was there just to keep the weird guys away. she didn't know i carried at the time. while at the bowling alley, she went to smoke. i accompanied her. and without fail, a weird dude approached her and started talking to her. then some other guys started yelling at him across the parking lot and he was yelling back, cursing at each other. she said she didn't like what she was hearing and was scared. i said don't worry if something goes down, we'll go back inside. (at this time we kinda moved a way, a little closer to the door) and if it comes down to any kind of threatening situation, i got protection (at that time i slapped my hip indicating something was there). she freaked out at first and asked if i had a gun. i nodded. she just kept quiet. later on in the night as we were getting ready to go home, in her drunken stupor, she thanked me for bringing my gun along. she said she first felt obligated to not act like a fool as she didn't want anyone to get hurt because of her actions. but also felt that if something really bad happened that she was safe. she didn't know how easy it is to carry a gun until i explained it to her. and now she wants to get her permit.

this was the first time i've been thanked and it was pretty recently too.

VIP Member
    I have not been thanked for exercising any other constitutional right either!

No but I have thanked a guy for OCing. He appreciated it I think.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Not exactly, but a close co-worker knows I carry and out at lunch one day I was OC and we were talking about guns and 2A. He doesn't own a gun, and for his own reasons it isn't his thing, but he supports people who do 100% and said he was glad people like me did because the bad guys don't know who does and who doesn't. He said if they knew everyone didn't, things would be a lot worse.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Never been thanked but, I have had several Shelby County (TN) Deputies tell me that they liked seeing civilians OC. They said they wished even more did it (it is not an uncommon thing there in Shelby Co.) and they were sure it was a good thing.

West Tennessee is a very cool place to live and I miss it terribly.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Never been thanked, must oc more often.................

Beaker, remind your "girlfriend" that guns and alchohol don't mix. My sister in law expressed interest in carrying, but i played it down because she drinks too much and gets into trouble flirting too.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Never been thanked for OCing and don't think I'd feel to happy if I was based on the situation the OP presented. What I'm saying is, I OC to portect myself. IF someone walks up and says they wish they or others had the guts to carry openly like I do I'd want to know why they don't. There's nothing illegal or wrong about it. It's sort of like when someone askes "Why do you have a gun?" My response is "Why don't you have a gun? Where's yours?" I don't assume responsibility for the safety of others either. My gun is for my defense. When someone makes a statement that they feel safer with me around I ask them "Why?". If anything happens I'm out of there like a bolt of lightening. I'm not sticking around to be a hero. And I'm not paid to be a bodyguard. IF you want to feel safe by being around someone who's armed, BE THE PERSON WHO IS ARMED.
    Steve
    President/Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    Never been thanked for OCing and don't think I'd feel to happy if I was based on the situation the OP presented. What I'm saying is, I OC to portect myself. IF someone walks up and says they wish they or others had the guts to carry openly like I do I'd want to know why they don't. There's nothing illegal or wrong about it. It's sort of like when someone askes "Why do you have a gun?" My response is "Why don't you have a gun? Where's yours?" I don't assume responsibility for the safety of others either. My gun is for my defense. When someone makes a statement that they feel safer with me around I ask them "Why?". If anything happens I'm out of there like a bolt of lightening. I'm not sticking around to be a hero. And I'm not paid to be a bodyguard. IF you want to feel safe by being around someone who's armed, BE THE PERSON WHO IS ARMED.
    never thought of it like this.. If I try to explain this, maybe more people will want to be armed. or seek further information of self-defense options.

I have had a conversation with an armed security guard who said "wow I know OC is legal I just have never seen someone with the ba!!$ to do it."

I had a friend also say that she feels safer when a few of us went camping and I carried on the river trip we took. (more worried about 4 legged critters)

so thanked? sort of...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have but only once. My wife and I stopped at a KFC/Taco Bell in a small town in Central Virginia for lunch after a short trip to an antique consignment shop. I had just set down and a guy came up to me. He thanked me. I responded with "for what?". He essentially said for carrying and letting others know it is legal in Virginia. The rest of the day was uneventful.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I have but only once. My wife and I stopped at a KFC/Taco Bell in a small town in Central Virginia for lunch after a short trip to an antique consignment shop. I had just set down and a guy came up to me. He thanked me. I responded with "for what?". He essentially said for carrying and letting others know it is legal in Virginia. The rest of the day was uneventful.
    And my question to him would have been, "Where the heck's your gun?" Just saying.
    Steve
    President/Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links