ALMOST OC'd at Walmart the other day but......

This is a discussion on ALMOST OC'd at Walmart the other day but...... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It was just a bit warm, but not unbearable Sunday afternoon. We were traveling from an IDPA match (my first) back to home. We decided ...

Thread: ALMOST OC'd at Walmart the other day but......

ALMOST OC'd at Walmart the other day but......

It was just a bit warm, but not unbearable Sunday afternoon. We were traveling from an IDPA match (my first) back to home. We decided to stop at Wal-Mart in a town midway home. I had a flannel shirt to cover my pistol (5" Parkerized Mil-Spec with a Smith and Alexander combo Mainspring Housing/Magwell, riding in an IWB Milt Sparks VMII) Since the pistol was IWB, it was not real noticeable. I would have had no problem OCing the pistol, but the problem (for me) was the twin stainless steel Wilson Combat 47D mags riding in a kydex dual mag holster on my left hip.

Normally, I travel with a single extra mag in a pouch that looks like a multi-tool holster, covered by a flap and very unobtrusive. Since I was shooting IDPA that weekend, I loaded up for the match and didn't even think about taking my "undercover" mag holder.

Since it was warm, I ALMOST left the cover shirt in the truck, but something about the mags in a high-ride IDPA holster bothered me about OCing into the store. We stopped for fuel on the way out of town later, and I did not cover while pumping. The guy at the pump behind me gave me some funny looks, but didn't say anything.

Am I weird for letting the mags bother me more than the pistol??

Thanks.
    If you can't get out of it, you gotta get into it.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

2. Remove Ads

You're not weird. Exposed mags are invisible to the same folks who are oblivious when you OC, but they scream "gun" to those of use who would notice if you carried openly.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I don't think that most people give "funny looks" to people that open carry. I think they are just curious as to what you have and simply look more curiously than normal.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought about it that way. If folks knew what the mags were, the gun probably wouldn't bother them much. If they didn't know what they were, they probably wouldn't know to look for the gun either.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

I see it that way too; my problem is not other people it is me, I have no idea why but I feel uncomfortable OC ing ??? CCW no problem I never think twice but unless I am at the range if my pistol is visable I am not at ease all day...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Then again, it's possible you misinterpreted the "funny looks," which were really, "Man, nice gun. Wish I had one of those."
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I carry my mag carrier openly, its not weird oc is normal and in montana since cc laws restrict where I carry when oc doesn't
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

For me I just don't feel as comfortable as when I'm concealed. I'm a small guy (6' and 135 lbs) and the first things peoples' minds usually jump to when they find I'm armed is that I'm trying to prove myself or compensate for something, which is completely untrue. I like to remain low-key until such a time as I am needed, and concealing fits that bill well.

Most people that see a dual mag setup think LEO. Thats one reason why I use a dual mag set up. They are nice custom made pouches in both black and brown leather.
    But we don't have much in the way of problems OC'ing in CO.
    Semper Fi
    Last edited by BkCo1; February 15th, 2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling

[QUOTE=radshooter;1873976 I would have had no problem OCing the pistol, but the problem (for me) was the twin stainless steel Wilson Combat 47D mags riding in a kydex dual mag holster on my left hip.

[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem which is why when funds are available I am planning on getting the 47DAB which are black then they won't stick out. Just have to find a place that has then for a good price.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

VIP Member
    I used to worry about it, but the more I OC'd the less I worried about it. 99% of people don't even notice, and those who do usually don't care. I've had 1 negative comment on OC'ing, and numerous neutral to positive. Even from LEO, the most I've gotten was to ask what make I was carrying.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Woosie...just kidding!
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Woosie...just kidding!
    Baby steps man, baby steps. Everybody has to start somewhere.

I usually try to keep a pretty low profile like Sleipnir. I also usually dress accordingly. Just got caught away from home by an unusual heat wave that day.

I don't think you are weird but I think that the more you OC, the more comfortable you will become with it. Like others have said, I have noticed that 99% or so of the people out there never even notice when I OC. If they miss the gun on my right hip, they sure won't see the mags on my left hip.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    I have no idea why but I feel uncomfortable OC ing ??? CCW no problem I never think twice but unless I am at the range if my pistol is visable I am not at ease all day...
    You're uncomfortable OCing because you've been socially conditioned against it.

Links