Interesting OC Encounter in New Mexico

This is a discussion on Interesting OC Encounter in New Mexico within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may have already been posted; however, I had not seen it before. In brief, a citizen OCs in view of an LEO during a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Interesting OC Encounter in New Mexico

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

This may have already been posted; however, I had not seen it before.

In brief, a citizen OCs in view of an LEO during a traffic stop. Further, the citizen is video taping the LEO during the stop. OC and LEO have a discussion about what the citizen is legally required to do.

It's rather long, but I think there are points here for both citizens who legally OC and LEOs who encounter them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYGSv...eature=related

My personal feeling is that while he was completely within his rights, the citizen acted in disregard for how the LEO may interpret his actions. Bad things happen with misunderstandings. My reason for carrying is to ensure my safety and that of my family. I don't think you do that by walking up on police during a traffic stop while OC'ing, regardless of it's legality. A little common sense goes a long way.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

I really don't approve of what this guy did. I don't want police harassing me when I'm going about my business, with or without a firearm. By the same token it isn't fair to go harass them while they are trying to do their jobs. This guy got way to close to that traffic stop he wasn't involved in. I am glad to see he did back away quickly when ordered. Even if he did nothing illegal he was definitely making life unnecessarily difficult for someone just trying to do their job.

On the upside, it does make me feel better about dealing with police if all of that can transpire without cuffs, tazers, or bullets seeing use.

Most local LEOs would have arrested him for interfering with governmental operations. (most of these are city ordinances)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My crappy computer and service make it near impossible to watch videos, but breaking out cameras and audio recorders around any LEO is almost guarenteed to evoke a reaction on the LEO's part, and often not a positive one. In some jurisdictions, the recording must be stopped at the request of the LEO.

Interferring with an officer? If I were on a jury, only if the charged person physically or verbally interfered--which would not include standing on the sidelines with any sort of recording device.

Still, common sense says, "Don't mess with the man!"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    The individual in the video is a trouble hunter. He'll do whatever he has to to create a confrontation. Even if he hadn't been OC'ing he knew that getting out of his vehicle with a camera and voice recorder to approach an LEO during a traffic stop was going to cause a confrontation. His being armed just insured it would happen when he wanted it to. Any thing to get his 5 minutes of exposure on You Tube. Trouble hunters abound everywhere, and do nothing but give people heart ache.

I have nothing against OC'ing. I do it probably 90% of the time. I do have a problem with people who intentionally try to cause trouble.
    sigmanluke likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The individual in the video is a trouble hunter. He'll do whatever he has to to create a confrontation. Even if he hadn't been OC'ing he knew that getting out of his vehicle with a camera and voice recorder to approach an LEO during a traffic stop was going to cause a confrontation. His being armed just insured it would happen when he wanted it to. Any thing to get his 5 minutes of exposure on You Tube. Trouble hunters abound everywhere, and do nothing but give people heart ache.

I have nothing against OC'ing. I do it probably 90% of the time. I do have a problem with people who intentionally try to cause trouble.
    +1 It gives us all a bad name. That might make the next time this LEO sees someone OCing say "I'm not giving this guy the chance to talk, just going to cuff him" type of attitude.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

What a Dork.

What this guy did gives ALL of us a bad name. Obviously, he (the guy recording the officer) is /was looking to get a reaction from the Officer.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I think this guy was 100% within his rights, but his 'legal' actions did nothing to improve the name of CCW/OC'ers...yes, a Dork!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've always been against OCers baiting cops. That the opposite of what my goal is.

This is retarded and tarnishes the good name of usual american citizens who OC

Yeah, I think this has been discussed before. Either way, he's kind of a jack ass.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    When I started this thread, I had a very strong opinion that this guy walking up on a traffic stop, camera in hand and OC'ing was just looking for a confrontation. I thought the LEO's handled it well and in most jurisdiction this guy was going to get some "back seat time" in a cruiser if not a trip to the station. I didn't want to be too adamant in my point of view initially, as I wanted to see what others had to say (not that there are too many shrinking violets here). Glad to see that others take this in the same way as I do.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

OK. I have read the responses and respect them, my view will most likely get some rapid fire but here goes……. Point one if the NM police are not any smarter than this I would want video evidence if they were near my girlfriend too.

The cop tells him to step away he did, then he confronts him, the citizen answers his questions and is clearly told he is free to go, he is followed around the corner stopped again and with the aid of another cop is harassed and bullied until he finally tells them in a very respectful tone to kiss off and leaves. Both of the cops stand there like a couple of typical dork bullies that just had their bluff called.

The plain clothes tuff guy bullied him about not giving ID (you getting close this can go two way etc….) by the way there was a third way it could go the one where he left and you shut up!!!

And the original cop “Felt it was his right” to question him about walking up on his traffic stop, a stop that was well over and took place around the corner by the way..

I think both of these cops were full of crap and full of themselves until they were told NO..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    OK. I have read the responses and respect them, my view will most likely get some rapid fire but here goes……. Point one if the NM police are not any smarter than this I would want video evidence if they were near my girlfriend too.

The cop tells him to step away he did, then he confronts him, the citizen answers his questions and is clearly told he is free to go, he is followed around the corner stopped again and with the aid of another cop is harassed and bullied until he finally tells them in a very respectful tone to kiss off and leaves. Both of the cops stand there like a couple of typical dork bullies that just had their bluff called.

The plain clothes tuff guy bullied him about not giving ID (you getting close this can go two way etc….) by the way there was a third way it could go the one where he left and you shut up!!!

And the original cop “Felt it was his right” to question him about walking up on his traffic stop, a stop that was well over and took place around the corner by the way..

I think both of these cops were full of crap and full of themselves until they were told NO..
    What was his purpose for stopping and approaching the traffic stop, other than to cause trouble? He had no reason to stop and get out, camera in hand, other than to try and get his 5 minutes of fame on FB. He's a jerk looking for trouble.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links