open carry in kansas, lawrence and surrounding area.

This is a discussion on open carry in kansas, lawrence and surrounding area. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a Kansas resident and Conceal-Carry permit holder, Kansas is actually a very good conceal-carry state and has very simple to follow rules and signs ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: open carry in kansas, lawrence and surrounding area.

As a Kansas resident and Conceal-Carry permit holder, Kansas is actually a very good conceal-carry state and has very simple to follow rules and signs that must be in place if a business wants to deny your right to conceal-carry in their establishment.

As far as "open carry" that is a local county and/or city issue and has always been for some time.... and it will not change as it is not an issue for the local Kansas Rifle Assoc or NRA.

For this reason, many of us just lead a clean lifestyle and have earned the right to get our conceal-carry permits... which are state issued and exempt us from any city or county statutes for conceal carry or transportation of firearms (loaded or unloaded)..... but not for open carry, even with a CCW permit.... "concealed is concealed".

You may wish to excerice your right to carry and open carry... but just be prepared for a lot of questions and hassles... but good luck in expressing your right to carry.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

2. Remove Ads

KS open carry law Witchita

This article may provide some clarification

Open Carry law clarified in Wichita - KSN TV, Kansas News and Weather

Quote Originally Posted by rusty.lalman View Post
    boy, you had to "dig" thru the "search" function to find this one..... LOL

Overland Park just made it legal besides Wichita, and now Lenexa is reviewing their law..... and a few people attended the city council meeting tonight on the open carry law.

Chap 12, Article 16, Section 124 ; passed by the Ks State Legislature...... quietly took away cities / counties being able to "prohibit" open carry, and states they can only " regulate the manner of carrying a loaded handgun".
    Ag's opinion on it , prompted by Wichita, was issued ..... stating cities / counties can NOT prohibit "open carry" due to this statute.

Some cities, are debating whether they want to fight it in court ....... most attorneys get around to convincing them, they'ld lose the battle and have to pay someone a lot of money when they did.
    The Libertarian party in Kansas.... is hitting up different cities and requesting they review their laws and bring them into compliance with the State Law.

Gee, things might go back to what they were like when I was a kid..... people open carried .... and no one paid any attention to it at all.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

OK. let's see if I have this figured out...I can carry my weapon OC on my hip and loaded until I get in my car, then I have to put my handgun out of reach...unless I have my ccl then when I get in my car I must conceal it...Clear as mud that is...

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    OK. let's see if I have this figured out...I can carry my weapon OC on my hip and loaded until I get in my car, then I have to put my handgun out of reach...unless I have my ccl then when I get in my car I must conceal it...Clear as mud that is...
    If you are in Wichita...... and you don't have a CC license...... but you missed a couple of "key" points.

1. If you have a CC license, it's not applicable ... get in your car and drive.....
    2. If you have a CC license, it does NOT have to be concealed in your vehicle...... the reason for that is there are 'reasons' you may be handling, taking off or putting it on a CC gun, and they didn't want cities charging CC people with open carry when anyone with a CC license was doing that. . So, the State Legislature made it legal to be in view "IF " you have a CC license. ...
    3. If you DO NOT have a CC license, the gun (if in Wichita) should be UNLOADED .... when and if you keep it inside your car. Most people figure they would have to walk to the trunk, unload it, store it in the trunk, and then reload it when they got it back out. Yes, they say "not within immediate control" , but this applies to ANYONE in the car, and the bottom line is.... they are saying " unloaded" ..... I would imagine if it wasn't, they would find a way to give you grief over it.

Wichita........ obviously wanted to have some "gotcha" things in the law. Many people in the city are not particularly anti-CC nor anti-OC, but the city council there are .... BIG TIME. I think that is the reason they included "with it's safety in place" . What about those guns (e.g. revolvers) that have only a key lock safety or none at all ???

Here's the 'new" Wicihita municipal code on it : (see "e." and "f" in particular).
    http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=14166

Now, if you have a CC license... you just get into the car....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I've done it occasionally in Lawrence & never had an issue, I just do it once in awhile just to see any reactions. I usually carry a snubby, I'm the long haired biker guy type as well, even on the bike no reactions. Most of the time mine is concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnut785 View Post
    I called the local PD and they said it was legal just unloaded and no bullets can be in a mag or anything that would make it possible to load the gun quickly.
    If true, that sort of kills the viability of the sidearm as a defensive tool, doesn't it? I mean, if it cannot be quickly activated, then what's the point?

Suggestion: Get a CHL and don't look back. It'll cover you, no matter how you choose to carry.

Edit: Oops. Just realized the OP hasn't been around for 2+ years.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by HillyBilly View Post
    I've done it occasionally in Lawrence & never had an issue, I just do it once in awhile just to see any reactions. I usually carry a snubby, I'm the long haired biker guy type as well, even on the bike no reactions. Most of the time mine is concealed.
    I've been living in Lawrence for the past four years, and have thought about OC on several occasions. However, given the type of people in this town, I feel that seeing a person OC would draw a lot of unwanted attention, especially from LPD, despite the fact that the city has no ordinances against OC..

Would be interested to see some OC'ers in Lawrence.. I've thought about it in Topeka, and know that I wouldn't have a problem with it there, especially after several TPD Officers recommended it to various citizens, including myself, while on a ride along earlier in the year..

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    Sound like Ohio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links