open carry in kansas, lawrence and surrounding area.

open carry in kansas, lawrence and surrounding area.

This is a discussion on open carry in kansas, lawrence and surrounding area. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so ive been real temped lately to OC in my town mainly because i love to excercise my rights whenever possible. Also, because i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: open carry in kansas, lawrence and surrounding area.

Arrow open carry in kansas, lawrence and surrounding area.

Ok so ive been real temped lately to OC in my town mainly because i love to excercise my rights whenever possible. Also, because i recently moved from Wichita were you can not OPEN CARRY. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has done this? I called the local PD and they said it was legal just unloaded and no bullets can be in a mag or anything that would make it possible to load the gun quickly. I have the laws printed out on my person and have done this in Wal-mart on the way out to go shoot.
    is there anyone out there that does this on the regular??
    I have heard you get harrased by police but thats about it I just dont want to get thrown in jail.

Also if there is not a "No firearms" sign posted it is LEGAL to carry inside their store?

ive searched this forum and havent found much pertaining to Kansas. Any opions are welcome
    Thanks!

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Check out handgunlaws.us on here and click on Kansas. I like that you want to exercise your rights but what good is an unloaded firearm? If criminals think that is a law also that open carrying citizens can't have loaded firearms then I think your increasing your risk of becoming a target.

Handgunlaw.us

Welcome to D.C. from your neighbor to the west.

I don't know the law but I agree with CowboyColby, what is the point of carrying an unloaded firearm? I'm all for open carry but not unloaded. Get your concealed carry permit and do that, no need to advertise that you are a gun owner.

Welcome fellow Kansan!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Go to Topeka, open carry is legal there (loaded).
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by gunnut785 View Post
    it was legal just unloaded and no bullets can be in a mag or anything that would make it possible to load the gun quickly.
    ^^^This is not Open Carry^^^

That's...I don't know what to call it.

Stupid?
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

VIP Member
    Sounds like KS needs a state preemptive policy where localities cannot make rules governing guns. What a mess. Based on what was said in this thread, there are at least 3 different standards in the state and the gun owner is supposed to know what applies when he drives a few miles. That is NUTS!!!
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Don't forget Kathleen Sebelius is from Kansas, and the folks in Lawrence thought she was too conservative. Said as a Kansas native with fond memories of Lawrence and KC.
    pittypat21 likes this.

so in topeka its legal to have it loaded. I was reading the laws and what i got out of it is that you cant have any rounds in a mag or something that would make loading the weapon quick but can still carry rounds with you . Yeah dont get me wrong i think its stupid too, I Cant get my CC for another 2years because of a DUI awhile back.... So do you OC in Topeka, im in lawrence myself. I thought topeka was one of those towns that doesnt allow it, I might be mistaken maybe only Wichita and areas in Johnson County

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post

Stupid?
    It's called "California Carry"
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

A DUI will not stop you from getting a KS permit.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnut785 View Post
    so in topeka its legal to have it loaded. I was reading the laws and what i got out of it is that you cant have any rounds in a mag or something that would make loading the weapon quick but can still carry rounds with you . Yeah dont get me wrong i think its stupid too, I Cant get my CC for another 2years because of a DUI awhile back.... So do you OC in Topeka, im in lawrence myself. I thought topeka was one of those towns that doesnt allow it, I might be mistaken maybe only Wichita and areas in Johnson County
    There are several places in Kansas you can 'open carry', just don't plan on Wichita, Wyndotte cty or Johnson cty being one of them. Topeka changed it's laws due to the conceal carry laws and accidentally left out anything against open carry. When they caught it, and reviewed it, they decided to leave it alone..... leaving it legal to open carry (loaded, etc) in Topeka. Many places in Kansas, you can open carry, but because municipalities can make it illegal, you just have be certain of which ones.

You can open carry on your land, your business, or land you lease.

I think you are getting the "transportation of a weapon" guidelines /laws .... mixed up with open carry. With "open carry" , it's more often a matter that the laws don't say you can't... so nothing is said in the laws when it's not illegal.

Conceal Carry --- DUI's >> SB306 was passed and effective July 1, 2010 , and you may want to check the AG's site , specifically :
    http://www.ksag.org/files/2010_Summa...-_Website2.pdf

First, a quick synopsis of what was removed from the criminal history disqualifications.

(2) DUI’s: currently, felony DUI convictions or 2 misdemeanor DUI convictions
    (which includes diversions) within the 5 years immediately before application
    would disqualify an applicant; now only a felony DUI will disqualify an
    applicant (see state law explanation below for further explanation of this point);

There were a lot of changes / improvements made in 2010, effective July 1, and some in 2009. If you haven't reviewed these, even most of the where you cannot conceal carry with a license has been eliminated.

Go to : www.ksccw.com as well, as there are a lot this on there that can help you figure it out, or an attorney familiar with the laws 'should' know. Or, the email the AG's office and ask them, they have been extremely helpful on things.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post

Stupid?
    Commineforina is the same way... its called people who have NO regards to our rights as Americans.

OP watch out for stores with Liquor licenses... I know in Michigan you can't OC in a Wal-mart without a CPL because they sell beer/wine... no matter if you are ubder 21 or over 21
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    It's called "California Carry"
    translation "Commieforina"
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Wyatt Earp spent maybe six-eight months here & screwed it up for all of us....
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Commineforina is the same way... its called people who have NO regards to our rights as Americans.

OP watch out for stores with Liquor licenses... I know in Michigan you can't OC in a Wal-mart without a CPL because they sell beer/wine... no matter if you are ubder 21 or over 21
    Kansas , you can almost carry a gun concealed anywhere if you have a CCH..... "unless" it is posted by the owner. Liquor stores, bars, etc. are not prohibted.
    The Ks Gov mansion and buildings, all Fedl lands, and a very few others are all that are prohibited.... "unless " posted with the approved AG signage. About all state office buildings are posted, but not restricted by law unless they are.

"Open carry" is the only issue, and still... most places it's legal , except larger cities who have prohibted it and college towns. (such as Lawrence & Manhattan that the OP brings up).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links