Defensive Carry banner

Interesting Open Carry Article

4K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  TheGreatGonzo 
#1 ·
#2 ·
A good article but I have a few observations on these ladies.

First and foremost, every one of them needs to get a real belt that will hold the gun in place better. Ladies that carry like these with these stupid fashion belts are simply asking for a gun grab.

Carrie Moats of Ashburn Needs to get herself an actual retention holster if she is going to continue to open carry instead of that cheap Fobus holster.

20 year old Caitlin Rutherford is shown walking her boyfriends dog and holding the leash of the dog with her shooting hand. If that isn't bad enough, the dog is on the other side of her body thus pulling her gun hand across her body and as far from her gun as it can be. She needs a bit of training.

Michelle Rogers of Lorton carries a Sig P239 in 9mm. That is a good gun. I like it a lot. But she says of her P239: “It’s smaller and only a single-stack magazine, so it’s better for female hands." Someone needs to show her that the grip on a p239, while a single stack gun, is almost exactly the same circumference as the grip on my Glock 23, a double stack .40 can which is the same size as the Glock 19, a double stack 9mm. While the P239 is a great gun, and maybe she likes the way the grip feels which is fine, the gun is no better suited for female hands that a Glock 9mm. She needs to try some more guns and maybe she will find one that holds more than 9 rounds.

I'm glad that there are more and more women carrying, either concealed or openly, for their protection and the protection of their families.

#3 ·
TN, your comments are pretty much off-target. You're being hyper-critical.

Caitlan doesn't expose her belt at all; her mother's appears pretty hefty. The two visible belts are more than capable of supporting a holster. Do gold decorations make a belt any less supportive? That's like saying a fancy leather holster isn't any good because it has a design on it. None of them is one of the tiny "designer" belts to which you refer. In fact, the belts shown are quite substantial.

At least 2 of 3 holsters have retention of some sort, the third being unclear in the photo. That is, unless the rentention means doesn't meet your specifications.

And what's the problem with the dog? It doesn't appear that she has the leash wrapped around her wrist as she's clearly wearing some sort of bracelet in the pother photo. All she has to do is release the leash from her hand. Do you walk around like Marshall Dillion, gun hand posed by your firearm for a quick draw? Do you never carry or hold something in your gun hand? I guess you probably do.

Many prefer a single stack grip regardless of the overall capacity. My guess is that all 1911s were double stacked they would not be near as popular. Really, isn't the thin grip of the 1911 one of its attributes? Maybe, just maybe, she feels nine rounds is enough? I think my 10 rounds is enough for an SD situation I'm likely to encounter. Maybe you don't see an extra mag tucked away?

Don't be so narrow-minded; at least they're carrying, and that's a good thing for them . . . and you and me! It may not be what you would do, but that doesn't make it wrong.

#9 ·
TN, your comments are pretty much off-target. You're being hyper-critical.
No I'm not. I'm just stating my opinion.

None of them is one of the tiny "designer" belts to which you refer. In fact, the belts shown are quite substantial.
I don't know if you are married or have daughters but I do. And a belt doesn't have to be tiny to be flimsy and crap and not suited to hold up a gun. The one that Mrs. Moat is wearing in the store parking lot in the first picture is a designer belt and is worn over a long blouse. It isn't in belt loops so it can slide all over the place. Hence, not a good choice to keep your gun where you want it.

At least 2 of 3 holsters have retention of some sort, the third being unclear in the photo. That is, unless the rentention means doesn't meet your specifications.
I only mentioned that Mrs. Moat needed a retention holster. I didn't say anything about the others because they are using SERPA holsters. That happens to be the retention holster I prefer. Now who's being hyper critical?

And what's the problem with the dog? It doesn't appear that she has the leash wrapped around her wrist as she's clearly wearing some sort of bracelet in the pother photo. All she has to do is release the leash from her hand. Do you walk around like Marshall Dillion, gun hand posed by your firearm for a quick draw? Do you never carry or hold something in your gun hand? I guess you probably do.
The problem with the dog is she's letting the dog pull her hand away from her gun. That's what I said and what I meant. You don't read too well do you? And no, I constantly strive not to carry anything with my strong side (right) hand. Same as when I was in the Navy and had to keep that hand free to salute. Don't you do that? If not then to each his own but I was pointing out something I felt was being done that I wouldn't do myself.

Many prefer a single stack grip regardless of the overall capacity. My guess is that all 1911s were double stacked they would not be near as popular. Really, isn't the thin grip of the 1911 one of its attributes? Maybe, just maybe, she feels nine rounds is enough? I think my 10 rounds is enough for an SD situation I'm likely to encounter. Maybe you don't see an extra mag tucked away?
I know why the 1911 is as popular as it is. The main being that it is a .45. You speak as though you didn't read this part of my post. I mentioned that the Sig P239 has a grip nearly identical in size to that of a double stack Glock 19. I wasn't saying a single stack gun is bad. I own several. I was merely pointing out that the lady says that the single stack gun she carries, the Sig P239 is better suited to a females hand and the Glock 19 is the SAME SIZE GRIP but is double stack. Again, your reading comprehension is sub-par.

Don't be so narrow-minded; at least they're carrying, and that's a good thing for them . . . and you and me! It may not be what you would do, but that doesn't make it wrong.
I am not narrow minded at all. And I am extremely happy that they are carrying. I have said many many times on this site that I think that any women carrying is good. I have no problem as many do with colored hand guns. If a woman will not carry until she gets a pink gun, then so be it. If a pink gun is what it takes to get her to carry for her protection then I say that's great.

Couldn't the case be made that everybody who carries a gun visibly is "asking for a gun grab?"
In theory yes but your typical street thug isn't as stupid as a lot of people think. And carrying a gun on a belt that would most likely tear in half with a decent pull from someone would, I think, make it a bit more probable. Plus, I think your typical street thug would be more apt to try to take a gun away from a woman than a man being that they (the thugs) tend to not think too highly of women anyway and see them as weak.

I only carry my 239 9mm anymore, you are right, it is a great gun. But, it is the one that feels the most comfortable to me. I do have others that I could carry.

I feel that nine rounds are enough for me in the gun, I do carry a spare with me all the time (17 rds total).

So I say carry what is the "best" gun for you whether it be a double-stack or single-stack, the most important is that you carry!
I can't argue with that. As I said, I was simply commenting on her comment about the gun being ideal for a female hand because it is a single stack.

Refreshing article...:yup:
Glad to see three ladies who understand what SD is all about...any time, any where.:hand10:

Like OldVet, I see no need to provide any criticism, the OP wasn't asking for opinions.
Just because I carry on my right side, it doesn't mean I never use my right hand for anything else.:rolleyes:
Ret, you I respect. You and I have been here about the same amount of time. All I can say is, I was just commenting on some things I saw in the article that I thought could use some improvement. I wasn't trying to start anything.

Dude are you really that big of an idiot? 3 women brave enough to carry a weapon much less open carry and you have to spout crap, give me a break. You must be mister tacticool every second of the day.
No "Dude" I am not an idiot and, I don't appreciate your implication of such. I did not spout crap, unlike you. Nor am I Mr. "Tacticool". So, I think you should reign in your little attitude. I have been advocating that more females carry either openly or concealed for years here, long before you showed up with, again, your little attitude. There's your break "Dude".

great read... more power to women that OC
Agreed. I would just like to see them do it will a little better equipment that a couple of these ladies do.

All of my post was just my opinions folks. All of you could have simply said you didn't agree with me instead of dumping on me but I guess that's the tone now a days. I really don't mind most of it except for muddy calling me idiotic. I don't appreciate being called any name by someone whom I suspect doesn't even understand the word.

#5 ·
I only carry my 239 9mm anymore, you are right, it is a great gun. But, it is the one that feels the most comfortable to me. I do have others that I could carry.

I feel that nine rounds are enough for me in the gun, I do carry a spare with me all the time (17 rds total).

So I say carry what is the "best" gun for you whether it be a double-stack or single-stack, the most important is that you carry!

#6 ·
Refreshing article...:yup:
Glad to see three ladies who understand what SD is all about...any time, any where.:hand10:

Like OldVet, I see no need to provide any criticism, the OP wasn't asking for opinions.
Just because I carry on my right side, it doesn't mean I never use my right hand for anything else.:rolleyes:

#7 ·
The topic of "gun grabs."

"Couldn't the case be made that everybody who carries a gun visibly is "asking for a gun grab?"

Sure. A case could be made that even though your holster is more secure than Ft. Knox, some master locksmith BG may decide to pick the locks on your holster and "grab" your gun too.

While I've seen a (very) few reports of someone being robbed and their gun taken, I don't ever recall reading where someone ran past someone OC'ing and "grabbed" the gun. I think the vast majority of gun grabs are when a LEO is attempting to secure some BG, thus the reason most LEOs wear a higher level of retention. They go hands-on, so extra precaution is needed.

#11 · (Edited)
I'd agree that the belt Ms. Moats is wearing in the pics is not suited for carrying a holstered gun. Mostly because of the manner it is being worn, but also partially due to design (not looks).

And I agree that anyone who OCs should use a holster with some type of retention, even a crappy (IMNSHO) serpa.

As to the SIG P239, perhaps she has tried a Glock 19 and found it to be a brick in her hand (like me) and the ergonomics and REAL quality of the SIG work well for her. Yes, the grips are very nearly the same size on the G19 and the SIG P239....I'll take the SIG P239 EVERY TIME over the G19.

I AM glad to see women carrying, and taking an active role in their own protection.

#13 ·
Great to see more of the ladies packing heat...

I think the observations and commentary by TN Mike were actually pretty accurate... if followed those suggestions could improve those ladies habits and/or experiences. Though his comments were maybe not delivered with flowers and candy? :smile:

#14 ·
It is good to see women interested in carrying.

Although I normally thread my Wilderness belt through the holster and 9:00 belt loop, I tried wearing this very stiff belt and holster over loopless sweatpants and found that the holster would not stay put, so I agree 100% with TN_Mike on the un-anchored belt holster.

Regarding carrying stuff, I normally don't carry anything in either hand. If I must carry something, like a grocery bag to the car, I carry it in my right (weak) hand and in such a way that I can instantly drop it. What good is situational awareness if you can't react quickly because you are carrying all kinds of stuff in your hands? (rhetorical question)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.