Open Carry in NC? - Page 2

Open Carry in NC?

This is a discussion on Open Carry in NC? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; See, CJ ya released the hounds from hell on that one. Hang in there Shooter380, I promise we'll be gentle from now on. You've got ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Open Carry in NC?

See, CJ ya released the hounds from hell on that one.

Hang in there Shooter380, I promise we'll be gentle from now on. You've got it right now.

Alcohol and carry threads usually cause at least 6 of 7 signs of the apocalypse.

Gentleman,

No need for gentleness. I would much rather hash it out here than in front of a judge.

Another question. When you OC in the car. Is the weapon uncovered, holstered on your belt or is it in plain sight, in the open on the seat? Just wondering?

The only state that I know of that had that strange law, "Only open carry in restaurants that serve alcohol NO CC", was Va. and I am pretty sure they changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter380 View Post
    Gentleman,

No need for gentleness. I would much rather hash it out here than in front of a judge.

Another question. When you OC in the car. Is the weapon uncovered, holstered on your belt or is it in plain sight, in the open on the seat? Just wondering?
    Personally, before I got my CCP I would put it on the seat or in a dedicated holster fastened to my passenger seatbelt. I have heard folks say that they carry holstered and just inform the officer. I am just not comfortable giving a LEO that option of considering it concealed. YMMV on that.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Gentleman,

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Personally, before I got my CCP I would put it on the seat or in a dedicated holster fastened to my passenger seatbelt. I have heard folks say that they carry holstered and just inform the officer. I am just not comfortable giving a LEO that option of considering it concealed. YMMV on that.
    This ^

Best to make sure it's visible such as in the passenger seat. The officer is the one who will make the determination if it is openly visible. Just remember to keep your hands on the wheel and it'd be wise to notify the officer JUST to be sure he knows it's there and don't move your hands until he tells you what to do.

thanks guys

VIP Member
    Chapple Hill is a no open carry city

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Chapple Hill is a no open carry city
    No they are not. What they have is a size limit on the firearm you can carry. Even Cary, NC tries really hard to ban OC. But they cannot restrict it at all on private property. Only city property. Matter of fact, no city or county in the state can regulate carrying firearms on private property more strictly than the state does.

14‑409.40. Statewide uniformity of local regulation.
    (a) It is declared by the General Assembly that the regulation of firearms is properly an issue of general, statewide concern, and that the entire field of regulation of firearms is preempted from regulation by local governments except as provided by this section.

Entire statute here.

GS_14-409.40

Chapel Hill
    Sec. 11-134. - Prohibition on display of small handguns.

(a)
    No person shall display, on any street, sidewalk, alley or other public property any handgun which is easily and ordinarily carried concealed.
    (b)
    For purposes of this article, the term "handgun which is easily and ordinarily carried concealed" shall mean any handgun or other firearm with an overall length of less than six (6) inches; provided, however, that in the case of a handgun or firearm that does not have a handgrip, this term shall mean any such handgun or firearm with an overall length of less than eight (8) inches.

Notice too that this ONLY applies to public property.

Cary, NC

The Town of Cary does not allow the open or concealed carry of a weapon while on any public property within our community including on greenways, in public parks or Town facilities, or in Town-owned parking lots. The ordinance does not allow the open carry of any firearm on public sidewalks or right-of-ways. See Section 22-51(a) of the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances.

Again, this applies ONLY to public property.

To add. Keep in mind that some of these towns are not friendly to OC. It's legality and it's acceptance are two different things. Just because it is entirely legal does not mean that Cary and Chapel Hill will not question or possibly harass an OC'r.
    Last edited by chiefjason; March 4th, 2011 at 01:31 AM. Reason: add

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member

open carry in chapple Hill

So---if you cannot open carry on a sidewalk and such area-------does that not stop open carry except for the semantics. Following the law you can't get from one place to another.
    Hello

So---if you cannot open carry on a sidewalk and such area-------does that not stop open carry except for the semantics. Following the law you can't get from one place to another.
    Hello
    You can't OC a gun under 6" on public property in Chapel Hill. Not can't OC period. Even if they passed that, you could OC at any business or shopping complex. Not all sidewalks are publicly owned. In Cary, you may not be able to OC and shop downtown, but you can OC and shop at any of the strip mall complexes. It's complicated and annoying. But there are a few folks that do it on a regular basis. A guy on OCDO was supposedly stopped and questioned in Chapel Hill, but that's it. In reality, most of us don't spend a lot of time on truely publicly owned property. You just have to figure out the difference between what open to the public but privately owned and what's public but owned by the city.

Actually what we need is US 2nd amendment applied uniformly throughout the state, or better the Union. I believe that is what the states agreed to when they ratified the US constitution.

Actually what we need is US 2nd amendment applied uniformly throughout the state, or better the Union. I believe that is what the states agreed to when they ratified the US constitution.
    Makes too much sense, they'll never go for it.

VIP Member
    Well, Chief, that ends that misconception----thanks.

Well, Chief, that ends that misconception----thanks.
    No problem. It's a minefield sometimes. I still get confused occasionally. Spent a lot of time over at OCDO and they are big on sighting the law if you make a statement about somethings legality. You pick it up quick. Listening to conversations in gun stores drive me insane now. Half the time I just shake my head and walk off.

Any news on the NC bill to allow carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.

OOPS wrong thread..... Sorry guys
    Last edited by shooter380; May 18th, 2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links