The People have spoken! Florida strongly supports open carry!

This is a discussion on The People have spoken! Florida strongly supports open carry! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Members and Friends, Open Market Research, Inc. has released the results of two polls taken this month. Although its no surprise to us, the polls ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The People have spoken! Florida strongly supports open carry!

The People have spoken! Florida strongly supports open carry!

Members and Friends,

Open Market Research, Inc. has released the results of two polls taken this month. Although its no surprise to us, the polls clearly indicate exceptionally strong support of open carry in Florida and virtually no opposition. Across the board, male or female, young or old, Florida residents want open carry rights.
    Strong Support for New

It wasnt even close; this was a landslide for open carry!

Were against the clock. The Senate committee meets again on Monday. We need you to flood the e-mail boxes of the committee members and the Senate President. Please let them know about the poll results and tell them you expect them to follow the will of the people!

Thank you!
    The Executive Directors and Board of Florida Carry, Inc.

We urgently need you to email the Senate Committee on Criminal Justice NOW!
    Include The People have spoken Yes on SB 234 in the Subject Line

E-mail Helper (feel free to copy, cut, paste, and edit to suit)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TO:
    evers.greg.web@flsenate.gov, dean.charles.web@flsenate.gov, dockery.paula.web@flsenate.gov, margolis.gwen.web@flsenate.gov, smith.chris.web@flsenate.gov, haridopolos.mike.web@flsenate.gov

SUBJECT: The People have spoken Yes on SB 234
    Dear Senator,

Open Market Research, Inc., an independent marketing research firm, has released the results of two polls taken in northern Florida which show strong support for the open carry provision of SB 234. Taken on March 3 and 11, the polls show a wide margin (58% - 14%) favor legalization of open carry in district 3, and an even wider margin in districts 2 and 4 (62% - 12%).

Legislators: the nay-sayers are a vocal lot, but they do not represent the voice of the people. Support SB 234 over the special interest groups. Open carry is peacefully practiced on a daily basis in 43 other states without the need for ridiculous and unnecessary retention devices and training, and without the need for public display of private information.

For twenty-three years, the law-abiding citizens of Florida who hold concealed weapons/firearms licenses have proven themselves to be responsible and deserve, without hesitation, to be treated as such. Voting against SB 234 is tantamount to a slap in the face of licensees, the sting of which the voters will not soon forget.
    Please support SB 234.

Respectfully yours,

<your name>
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

About: Florida Carry is a non-profit, non-partisan, grassroots organization dedicated to advancing the fundamental civil right of all Floridians to keep and bear arms for self defense as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article I Section 8 of the Florida Constitution. Florida Carry, Inc. was organized by a group of Florida gun rights activists in order to better coordinate activities, effectively lobby the state legislature, and to provide a legal entity capable of filing suit to demand compliance with state and federal law. Florida Carry stands only to represent our members and the over 6 million gun owners of Florida. We are not beholden to any national organization's agenda that may compromise that mission.
    Florida Carry works tirelessly toward repealing and striking down ill-conceived gun control laws that have been proven to provide safe havens to criminals and be deadly to law abiding citizens.

Florida Carry
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    Phone: 850-270-7486
    Fax: 678-359-9816
    I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.

Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.
    Founder, Florida Open Carry Movement

2. Remove Ads

Already responded...emails sent prior to this posting!

Florida members need to send this quick and easy email...DO IT!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can still carry concealed right?

Yes you can.

And, ...emails are done!
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Looks like the vote passed 3-2 on Bill 234, and 10-3 on bill 517. However, if I am reading the amendments, etc. correctly it looks like campus carry definitions didn't get changed. The old locations that were restricted before it looks like they reverted back to them. Grr! No Campus Carry!

Analysis of 517. The campus carry language removal is noted near the end:

House Bill 0517 (2011) - The Florida Senate (Analysis)
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    Looks like the vote passed 3-2 on Bill 234, and 10-3 on bill 517. However, if I am reading the amendments, etc. correctly it looks like campus carry definitions didn't get changed. The old locations that were restricted before it looks like they reverted back to them. Grr! No Campus Carry!

Analysis of 517. The campus carry language removal is noted near the end:

House Bill 0517 (2011) - The Florida Senate (Analysis)
    According to the wording on the link that you provided we are allowed to carry on campus now as long as it's not an elementary school or secondary school's administration building or facilities (no clue what they are considering facilities?). If I read this correctly then the green part is the new wording the red with a line through it is the old wording.

_h0517__

*edit*

maybe they haven't updated the amendments to the bill on that page yet?

Campus Carry is gone from the bill.
    I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.

Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.
    Founder, Florida Open Carry Movement

Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    Campus Carry is gone from the bill.
    dangit just went back and read the revision thing and I missed "81 10. Any public elementary or secondary school facility or
    82 administration building;"

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    dangit just went back and read the revision thing and I missed "81 10. Any public elementary or secondary school facility or
    82 administration building;"
    Yeah, well if I really felt I needed a gun at my school, I wouldn't work there. The kids know me well enough (even the really HUGE seniors) to know that I'm in no way an easy target and they'd be at risk of their lives. Not many teachers like me around. Not that I'm some kinda "bad dude" but I've got that sheepdog attitude and like the old HIGHLANDER series, the wolves can sense it. Speaking of the wolves, the really BAD guys are outside the perimeter fence having already been expelled. Or maybe in MS13 operating a mere six blocks away. For them, I'd be wishing I could keep a gun for the trips home. But hopefully in a few weeks I'll be transferring to a NEW school that has been specifically recruiting ME. It's a law enforcement magnet and it's hooked directly onto the City of Miami Police Headquarters! Same building, even! I get to park where the cops park and my ID lets me anywhere in that side of the building right up to the chief's office. They said, if I liked, I could bring my carry piece to work and just check it into a secure box until the trip home. I guess, technically, since I enter via the police side, I'm never on school board property with a firearm and the garage is also for the cops. LOL I think I'm gonna love it there!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Yeah, well if I really felt I needed a gun at my school, I wouldn't work there. The kids know me well enough (even the really HUGE seniors) to know that I'm in no way an easy target and they'd be at risk of their lives. Not many teachers like me around. Not that I'm some kinda "bad dude" but I've got that sheepdog attitude and like the old HIGHLANDER series, the wolves can sense it. Speaking of the wolves, the really BAD guys are outside the perimeter fence having already been expelled. Or maybe in MS13 operating a mere six blocks away. For them, I'd be wishing I could keep a gun for the trips home. But hopefully in a few weeks I'll be transferring to a NEW school that has been specifically recruiting ME. It's a law enforcement magnet and it's hooked directly onto the City of Miami Police Headquarters! Same building, even! I get to park where the cops park and my ID lets me anywhere in that side of the building right up to the chief's office. They said, if I liked, I could bring my carry piece to work and just check it into a secure box until the trip home. I guess, technically, since I enter via the police side, I'm never on school board property with a firearm and the garage is also for the cops. LOL I think I'm gonna love it there!
    Honestly I really didn't care one way or another about k-12 carrying, (yes it would have been nice from a more rights type of view point) all I wanted was to at least be able to park on campus the off chance I actually go back to visit my high school instead of parking what I hope to be off campus and walking the 1/4 mile. I think I've been back on campus 3 times in the 8 years since I've graduated. I was rooting more for University/college campus carry since one day I'll get off my butt and go back to working on a degree. Or, again, if nothing else at least be able to have it in my truck while driving around on campus or parked.

I can sympathize Chevyguy, I was able to carry concealed when I was at the University of Alabama all the time in the late 1970's. I carried right into classes. No problems. Here in FL, there is nothing in current law that says you can't drive thru campus armed. Same thing for picking or dropping off a kid at a K-12 school. Can't walk ON campus with it, but you can drive around the campus as long as you don't stop and get out. There are public roads all over the University of Miami campus. I drive them all the time, armed. I don't stop and get out, but I cut thru the campus all the time. I don't know that I would take a private drive around the dorms on campus because those ARE "private drives" built by the university, not the local municipality.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Sponsor
    Quite frankly I don't feel I have anything to compensate for by open carrying my weapons, I'll just keep it private thank you, it doesn't make the darnest difference, I'll tell you, if a bad boy comes for some he's gonna get it just the same. Ope carry is not about self defense, on the contrary is about intimidating the adversary, some could say, " a preemptive measure" .

I personally think some of my friends just want to look intimidating, one of them is about 6'6" and 320 pounds, it can't get more intimidating than that IMO, still he wants to open carry, to everyone his preferences I say.

Here In Oklahoma the senate just passed an open carry law: everyone older than 18 can open carry without permit, we'll see what happens.

I hope the term ".. and justice for all" won't" take another whole meaning.

I wouldn't try to make anyone change their mind about it, all I'm saying is , if we all are going to be wearing swords again, sword fights will ensue.

Conceal carry, which by the way is the name of this great forum, is more considerate to others, like, if a bad boy don't see it coming, at least his last minutes are going to be worry free.
    ExSoldier likes this.
    Go with the glow

I won't be carrying openly but I like the new OC law proposed here in FL if only because it eliminates the accidental "flash" criminality from concealment.

SO I wonder.... if this law passes,does that mean that can you now print BADLY and not have to worry about someone seeing? Because it wouldn't matter if you opened or concealed carried with your Florida CCW?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    SO I wonder.... if this law passes,does that mean that can you now print BADLY and not have to worry about someone seeing? Because it wouldn't matter if you opened or concealed carried with your Florida CCW?
    Yup that is EXACTLY what it means.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links