FL Open Carry Bill update

This is a discussion on FL Open Carry Bill update within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those interested in the FL open carry bill, it's still alive and kicking. For those who haven't kept up, here's what's going on: The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: FL Open Carry Bill update

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Exclamation FL Open Carry Bill update

For those interested in the FL open carry bill, it's still alive and kicking. For those who haven't kept up, here's what's going on:

The "Open Carry" bill allows those who possess a CWFL to open carry anywhere CC is not prohibited. Currently, one is only allowed to OC when going to/from/engaged in fishing/hunting/camping.

After initial commitee passage, our "friends" in the FL Sheriffs Assoc. managed to tack on three requirements:
    1. Those choosing to OC must attend OC "retention" training;
    2. Must use a level 2 or higher holster;
    3. Must carry the CWFL exposed next to the firearm, like badges.

These requirements were inserted discreetly, after initial commitee approval, and have since been stripped from the bill.

Also stripped from the bill was the the clause on allowing campus carry. I guess it's a case of win some/lose some, but any step in removing restrictions is a step in the "rights" direction.

Yeah, it's a pun.
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Good luck with it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I wonder how long until it's finally passed, if it get's passed. Sometimes its sad how slow things move in the government

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    For those interested in the FL open carry bill, it's still alive and kicking. For those who haven't kept up, here's what's going on:

The "Open Carry" bill allows those who possess a CWFL to open carry anywhere CC is not prohibited. Currently, one is only allowed to OC when going to/from/engaged in fishing/hunting/camping.

After initial commitee passage, our "friends" in the FL Sheriffs Assoc. managed to tack on three requirements:

These requirements were inserted discreetly, after initial commitee approval, and have since been stripped from the bill.

Also stripped from the bill was the the clause on allowing campus carry. I guess it's a case of win some/lose some, but any step in removing restrictions is a step in the "rights" direction.

Yeah, it's a pun.
    Requirement #3 is absolutely insane.

What happens when an officer or deputy approaches a law-abiding citizen who is open carrying and the citizen reaches for their permit (which must be on or next to the holster)? This was clearly not thought out, and it's likely to end up someplace between yelling, hurt feelings and the lead piece on the 5 o'clock news with some poor law abiding OC'er laying dead under a sheet. And honestly, if that happens, you can't really fault the LEO.

Matt
    Tally XD likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I hope this may set things in motion for other states to start doing it as well. Florida isn't one of the states I think would hop on the open carry bandwagon, but I may be mistaken. We gotta start pushing for it up here in CT. Good luck!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Surprisingly, FL used to allow OC but changed somewhere along the road. Someone always likes to bring up terrorizing the poor tourists. The current Gov. has stated that he will sign the OC bill if passed. We'll have to wait and see.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Surprisingly, FL used to allow OC but changed somewhere along the road. Someone always likes to bring up terrorizing the poor tourists. The current Gov. has stated that he will sign the OC bill if passed. We'll have to wait and see.
    We lost open carry when we were one of the first states to issue concealed weapons permits back in 1989 I believe was the year. I was 4 so if I'm wrong that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it. I think that was the stipulation for the permit passing was that we gave up open carry and at the time it was "acceptable." Or at least acceptable enough for those in charge to go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post

What happens when an officer or deputy approaches a law-abiding citizen who is open carrying and the citizen reaches for their permit (which must be on or next to the holster)? This was clearly not thought out, and it's likely to end up someplace between yelling, hurt feelings and the lead piece on the 5 o'clock news with some poor law abiding OC'er laying dead under a sheet. And honestly, if that happens, you can't really fault the LEO.

Matt
    Thankfully 1-3 have been taken back off the bill. Or at least that's how I understand it. I too agree that #3 was a bit dumb.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    From what I read of the bill, its original intent wasn't actually for open carry, but rather to ensure that if someone is carrying concealed, it protects him from prosecution in case he accidentally exposes his firearm. It also only applies to those who have a CCL.

Here's an interesting news article about the proposal: The Senate Committee on Criminal Justice heard testimony on the bill from a number of presenters, including a representative of the Florida Sheriffs Association. The FSA had originally offered support for SB 234 in exchange for the inclusion of a number of burdensome requirements on licensed carriers before they would be allowed to carry openly. Those provisions were use of a level-2 retention holster, proof of attending firearm retention training, and public display of the carry license in proximity to the firearm. The bill's sponsor, Senator Greg Evers, filed an amendment containing those requirements, but soon nullified it upon learning that the FSA would not support the bill regardless. Never mind the fact that level-2 retention holsters are not available for all firearms, retention training is generally only available to police and military, and public display of one's license would expose private information for all to see.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Yes I can...

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post

Matt
    If an officer is so jumpy he shoots and kills someone reaching for, oh anything at all...poor officer. You act like you think officers shoot to kill the second they see someone flinch or anything...it truly is not that intense a situation. Yes, I could blame the LEO...if he/she is that irresponsible and jumpy they have no business being a law officer.

@Freedomofchoice You are not going to get arrested just because a portion of your weapon peeks out of it's holster while utilizing a CCP...makes no sense at all...

Yeah, it's a pun.
    NICE TRY IDIOTS! No question those 3 probably would have stopped 90% of people from OCing, that's nuts. You know what would have been funny though, if there BS actually passed AND everybody did it! Imagine thousands of people walking around with their guns on their hips in tactical holsters with badges beside them! talking about backfire! They would have removed that crap the first week.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I hope it continues to keep moving in the right direction for ya'll.

Re: FL Open Carry Bill update

I would still continue to cc. OC to me is just asking for trouble... Someone walks up and takes ur sidearm, then what? Or what bout big man who wants to screw with "the guy with the gun?" You can't shoot him. Hell, you can't even draw on him! Might make some feel better, but I have ALWAYS been rather clandestine in my actions. I like to keep'em guessing

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

I hope OC passes, even though I would continue to conceal personally. I would like to have the option on the rare occasion.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Used to live in Florida. Hope it all works out down there.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links