Open Carry in Georgia

Open Carry in Georgia

This is a discussion on Open Carry in Georgia within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am interested in hearing experiences of open carry in Georgia - particularly in Middle Georgia (Macon, Warner Robins). Thanks,...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Open Carry in Georgia

Open Carry in Georgia

Am interested in hearing experiences of open carry in Georgia - particularly in Middle Georgia (Macon, Warner Robins).
    Thanks,

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I was in Atlanta last week on business, but I stayed in McDonough, GA. Tuesday afternoon I was sitting at a redlight in the McDonough town square and saw a guy walk into a jewelery store open carrying a 1911. He was dressed in shorts and a golf shirt. What was odd was he had his shirt tail out but the right side of his shirt was tucked behind his gun.

I'm all for open carry, but this did not look too professional in my opinion.
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I carry around Paulding. There are two other open carriers around my area and I'm on another georgia board and its pretty good up here. Mostly cops just leave you alone and most people don't even notice. ATL is spotty though from what I hear. Actually when I first moved up here and started OCing I was thanked....
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

VIP Member
    LEO reaction will vary by officer as well as department. Roswell Police is no joke. They scare me a little bit. Granted, they keep a safe community, but you don't want to draw their attention. I would expect Macon to be a little more laid back.

There are some knuckleheads that have been in the Roswell PD, but all of the LEOs I've ran into there were cool. I've only OCd once and haven't caught any flak. Also, look around for the article that keeps getting posted about OC in Kennesaw diverting armed robbery intentions.

I don't think you'd have much hassle in Sandy Springs. Since the inception of the Sandy Springs Gun Club and Range, the SSPD's fine officers have had exposure to a LOT of carriers, open or concealed.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I have no clue about Macon or WR. I can tell you that you would be fine in Oconee, Greene, Madison, and possibly Morgan counties. If you OC in Athens-Clarke, you will probably be briefly harassed if a cop sees you. I don't know if I have every seen anyone OC in Athens before ...and I have lived around here for 28 years.

I live about 30 miles north of ATL and have open carried on many occasions. Never had an issue.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

I had a friend in Newnan who OC'd a lot. He didn't seem to have an issue.

I've only seen one person OC in Athens, but I know there are a lot of people who OC in Georgia. Most LEO's have become better informed/trained on the carry laws in the last few years, thanks largely to the work of GeorgiaCarry.org, a very effective grassroots gun rights group.

Go check out Georgiapacking.org for more local info on OC'ing in Georgia.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I was in Atlanta last week on business, but I stayed in McDonough, GA. Tuesday afternoon I was sitting at a redlight in the McDonough town square and saw a guy walk into a jewelery store open carrying a 1911. He was dressed in shorts and a golf shirt. What was odd was he had his shirt tail out but the right side of his shirt was tucked behind his gun.

I'm all for open carry, but this did not look too professional in my opinion.
    Just curious, how does one look "PROFESSIONAL" in shorts and a Golf Polo?
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Actually when I first moved up here and started OCing I was thanked....
    What the heck for?
    Steve
    President/Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    What the heck for?
    Belted holster around waist = no visible butt crack
    RR9501 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am not for it anymore however, I support the people that do. I had two bad situations officer asked me if I had a permit this was at the BP just across the street from the Varsity, he pulled out his weapon I handed him my permit and he said ok.

I was talking to the parking lot attendant and just when I went into a venue APD drives by about 1 minutes later two officers comes into the venue points to me to come here asked for permit I showed him and he ran a wanted check. That did it for me no more open carry.

I will add I have been in the same restaurant as LE and other places with no problems, I just do not want to roll the dice with my life anymore I am a black man and I do not want to be walking down the street and fit the description of some black guy that just robbed or did some other crap and I have weapons pointed at me not cool.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

I live in north Ga. and haven't been stopped yet run around mostly in FT. Oglethorpe open carry and conceal carry and I have seen several others open carrying.

Sponsored Links