Car carry from NC to Fla?

This is a discussion on Car carry from NC to Fla? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, it looks like Im going to make an emergency trip to Fla to see my dad. I have not recieved my CCP yet here ...

Thread: Car carry from NC to Fla?

Car carry from NC to Fla?

Guys, it looks like Im going to make an emergency trip to Fla to see my dad. I have not recieved my CCP yet here in NC. What is the criteria for carrying a loaded gun from NC through SC, Ga and into Fla. ? I will be leaving tonight so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Since you don't have you're NC CCP yet I think it's best to not travel with the gun loaded. Have the gun in a suitcase or well hidden in your vechile and have the ammo far away from the gun. Since SC, GA, and FL all recognize NC CCP and you don't have your's yet, you won't have anything to fall back on if you had you're gun with you, especially if it's loaded.

FL is OK to have handgun Loaded in snapped holster & in Glove box ; )PS W/O CWL
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

If you go to Handgunlaw.us and get the pdf files for all of the states you'll be traveling through and in it will tell you the laws on carry in vehicles without a permit.

In SC you can have a gun in a compartment that seals with an integral latch. From SLED's website South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.
    (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

I keep my registration and insurance over the visor for this reason. If I am not carrying the firearm does not have to even be mentioned.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

I highly recommend ordering the book and keep it in the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    If you go to Handgunlaw.us and get the pdf files for all of the states you'll be traveling through and in it will tell you the laws on carry in vehicles without a permit.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Without the CCP I'd be real careful. Personally, I'd keep it unloaded in the case with a few loaded clips elsewhere in the car.

Links