The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude

This is a discussion on The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being a Florida resident I may have a little more insight into this. The open carry being discussed is only for CCW holders. It is ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar

My 2 cents worth

Being a Florida resident I may have a little more insight into this. The open carry being discussed is only for CCW holders. It is not "general" open carry. The main reason this bill was introduced was to cover a flaw in Florida's concealed carry law. If a CCW holders weapon is exposed intentional or not he can be charged with "Brandishing" which is a felony. It would be a "bad Wrap" to be charged with a felony because a gust of wind blew a shirt or jacket open!!! Or God forbid if I bend over to pick up a can of peas off the bottom shelf in the supermarket and my shirt raises up enough to expose my "friend". I agree, I DO NOT want anyone to know I am carrying, but I also don't want a felony conviction over something stupid.
    Glockwatcher likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    Will criminals go to "Open Carry"? Absolutely not.

So what about average citizens and 'Open Carry'? I am hard put seeing 99% of most people flaunting a pistol. Who is going to walk into a 7/11, or a hospital, or a Wal-Mart with a Colt 1911 on their side. All that will really happen is stores will put up 'No weapons allowed' signs.

What you will see is, citizens taking a gun from their car in a self defense situation, or a pawn shop owner walking his reciepts to his car sprouting his 45 auto.

The biggest opposition is coming from LEOs. In this youtube clip, the Sheriff spokesman says if his men encounter someone with a pistol, sooner or later there will be 'bad outcome'.

YouTube - Open Carry Debate - Florida House of Representatives - 3/24/2011
    If I had a Colt 1911, I would. Until then my Sigma or PT140 will have to do.

There ARE people that will do it. The ones that would rather carry concealed will continue to do so. You say yourself that criminals won't switch to OC, so anyone you see OC is more than likely a responsible citizen that feels it necessary to exercise his or her constitutional right to carry. Whatever their reasons are is no one else's business, just like with CC.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Here is my two cents on it. When I was stationed at Macdill AFB, I was a reserve deputy for the Hillsborough Sheriff Office back in 2004-2008. If the law passes I do see some major near term problems with LEOs and people getting used to the idea that its legal to open carry. I think people are scared of what they don't understand, and I can see people calling the cops all frantic saying there is a guy / girl with a gun running around, and that is all the info the cops are going to get. They will roll up in force and challenge the open carrier and I think things could go bad really quick. Everyone needs to know what to do from the bystanders who are calling the cops, the cops themselves and the open carrier if this law is passed to help mitigate any issues. I do support open carry, and have lived in many states while in the military who have open carry laws and have yet to see anyone other than myself open carrying. I think if this law does pass, that LE agencies and the local population needs to do a bunch of town hall meetings that will help get everyone on the same page so they can help reduce the fears of the local population, the fears of the open carrier, and he fears of law enforcement responding to a man / woman with a gun call.
    glockman10mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    Just an update, Mike. In 2010 the Virginia concealed carry in restaurants which serve alcohol was passed and signed by Governor MacDonald. There are still a few problems such as not being able to have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner, but it is a start. We (VCDL) just managed to get this one pushed through before state senators Marsh and Saslaw created the "Death Star sub-committee which now kills all gun related legi8slation in direct violation of the senate rules. One other problem is that LEOs, retired LEOs, Commonwealth Attorneys and Assistant Commonwealth attorneys among other privileged classes are exempt from the not drinking part.
    That is good news Celtic! I had not heard that. Sorry to hear about the Death Star sub-Committee. That sucks. I hope you can get that changed next election cycle.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    People should be allowed to carry any way they see fit.

I mostly carry concealed but there are times I open carry. Those times are generally range days in the summer and I'm going from my house to the firing range. At most the guys at the local gun shop will see my pistol or a passerby at the gas station.

Only once has anyone said something to me during one of those off times were I was openly carrying. It was a State Trooper who asked me to cover up my pistol. I politely refused saying I had no cover garment even if I wanted to cover it up, which I didn't. We had a short discussion at the gas station about me scaring the proverbial little old lady. I said I was no more likely to scare this fictional lady than he was... To which he disagreed and we went our separate ways.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Problem was, when he left, they were talking among themselves about what a paranoid moron he was and in general speaking badly of him. I thought about it for a minute and it occured to me that of course noone is going to heckle a man to his face while he is blatenly carrying a firearm.
    If they knew you were CC'ing I can be pretty certain they would think the same of you. Because it's the gun they dislike, not the method of carry. OC does make it more obvious. And I can say that some folks are certainly not smart enough to not heckle an armed man.

I do appreciate that you are supportive of the right to OC. Like it or not, OC and CC need to be standing up for each other. Division does nothing to protect our right to bear arms.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    If they knew you were CC'ing I can be pretty certain they would think the same of you. Because it's the gun they dislike, not the method of carry. OC does make it more obvious. And I can say that some folks are certainly not smart enough to not heckle an armed man.

I do appreciate that you are supportive of the right to OC. Like it or not, OC and CC need to be standing up for each other. Division does nothing to protect our right to bear arms.
    Hey, an opinion was asked and I gave my opinion. I cant see any division between the two, just speaking my mind. If people want to OC, go for it, it doesnt bother me.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybastid8 View Post
    I don't believe in open carry, it shouldn't exist. If someone qualifies to open carry, they should be able to conceal carry.
    Another Gun Control advocate on a pro carry board.

Funny how distorted people perceptions become. Open carry was common every day occurrence long before concealed carry. Folks did not understand why anyone would want to sneak around with a hidden gun, long considered the practice of cowards sneaks and criminal element and so began to vet those who wanted to carry concealed. Actually I do agree with
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybastid8 View Post
    If someone qualifies to open carry, they should be able to conceal carry.
    That is the way it should be. I qualify to open carry because I live and should also be able to carry concealed without a permit.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Great points Longrider. LAW ABIDING CITIZENS HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE. I really, really like that statement.

Firstly, I don't OC.
    That said, I've stated my opinions about this in a few recent threads.

-It doesn't matter if CC offers a perceived "tactical advantage". The same could be said for OC.
    -It doesn't matter if people "feel good" about not knowing you have a gun, or "feel bad" if they knew you did/can see it. Could you immagine the laws that would be stripped from US citizens if they had to abide by a "feel good" policy?
    -It doesn't matter if LEO "disagrees" with it because of the above statement. If that is the case, LEO should start better educating the public - because no laws are being broken (in states that allow).
    LongRider likes this.

Another thought is Open Carry will led to better (bigger frame) guns, and better holsters
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    Another thought is Open Carry will led to better (bigger frame) guns, and better holsters
    Very true. I CC a smaller gun most times, but when I OC, the G23 is the weapon of choice.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I personally would love to see the day when there was no public stigma in any place about OC. I have some really nice rigs, and some nice revolvers all dressed up that I never get to show off.
    TN_Mike, RETSUPT99 and Tn Mitch like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I got this shoulder rig for my broom handle

I personally would love to see the day when there was no public stigma in any place about OC. I have some really nice rigs, and some nice revolvers all dressed up that I never get to show off.

Hey, an opinion was asked and I gave my opinion. I cant see any division between the two, just speaking my mind. If people want to OC, go for it, it doesnt bother me.
    Understood. The division part was not aimed at you. Probably should have hit enter. More of a general, we either hang together or will hang separately idea.

Guess my point was that anti's are anti gun. Carry style is likely irrelevant to them, they don't like guns period.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Its not really the antis we are trying to win the war with. Its the regualr Joe and Jane that has no understanding of firearms. You see. there are millions of people who get along just fine every day without a desire or notion to carry. I would guess to say that 98% percent of the people in this country will never have a brush with a criminal. I think our strategy is somewhat flawed due to only seeing things from our perspective, and adjusting our attitudes and agenda accordingly. We are for the most part, preaching to the choir here. Some may fear what they do not understand, while others may have at least enough constitutional grounding to understand the "individual rights" issue.

Right now, its about perception to those people. Right now even I have to admit as pro 2A as I am, the sight of people walking around openly carrying in public places makes me wonder how those other people will percieve him. At this point in time, I think the alot of people will look upon this as being overly zealous. Hopefully over time, it will change.

I read somewhere that back in the days of the Sammuri class in Japan, that they used 3 different sized swords, and carried them everywhere they went. The long sword, I think called the Katana, was the main battle sword, the next largest one was also used to fight, and the smallest one was to commit suicide with to prevent dishonor.
    When one was visiting another, or attending a social gathering, the main sword was left at home, because it was considered a provacative act, and considered bad manners.
    Not making any assumptions or suggestions, just thought this was interesting.
    wmhawth and stancehold like this.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links