The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude

This is a discussion on The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When i was in Williamsburg Va. a few years ago I asked a LEO about open carry. He said that most officers are OK with ...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude

When i was in Williamsburg Va. a few years ago I asked a LEO about open carry. He said that most officers are OK with it BUT in a tourist area they have to respond to MWAG call and it would be an inconvenience for all. People from many of the northern states are just shocked to see it.

Coming from NY I know if I saw a handgun on someone then I would assume it was LE or criminal. Sometimes it is difficult to change that perception.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    You see. there are millions of people who get along just fine every day without a desire or notion to carry. I would guess to say that 98% percent of the people in this country will never have a brush with a criminal.
    I think this is woefully inaccurate and more likely the reverse. If anyone has not been a victim of a crime, than a friend or relative has been. I doubt that there is a single family that has not been adversely effected by crime. I think that is a fact the anti self defense fanatics need to get through their thick skulls

Right now, its about perception to those people. Right now even I have to admit as pro 2A as I am, the sight of people walking around openly carrying in public places makes me wonder how those other people will percieve him.
    In a large part I do not care how they "feel". Their unfounded fears are their problem. A sign of emotional immaturity. What I would like to see is for them to get used to it, understand that they have no say in the matter. Just as they have no say in the matter if a person of carries a bible or Mien Kamph. These are inalienable God (nature if you prefer) given RIGHTS. Not that I choose to alienate folks quite the opposite but I have no intention of submitting. to others irrational fears

When one was visiting another, or attending a social gathering, the main sword was left at home, because it was considered a provacative act, and considered bad manners.
    Not making any assumptions or suggestions, just thought this was interesting.
    Actually the swords were left at the door, because they are cumbersome to wear around a house and out courtesy and respect for the host, but than as now it is understood that there is no predicting what foe one may encounter going from your home to your freinds home.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    Coming from NY I know if I saw a handgun on someone then I would assume it was LE or criminal. Sometimes it is difficult to change that perception.
    When have yo ever seen a criminal Open Carry? Criminals only carry concealed, they are criminals it is illegal for them to carry a gun period. They are sneaks and cowards not even they are so stupid as to advertise that they are violating the law.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    Will criminals go to "Open Carry"? Absolutely not.

So what about average citizens and 'Open Carry'? I am hard put seeing 99% of most people flaunting a pistol. Who is going to walk into a 7/11, or a hospital, or a Wal-Mart with a Colt 1911 on their side. All that will really happen is stores will put up 'No weapons allowed' signs.

What you will see is, citizens taking a gun from their car in a self defense situation, or a pawn shop owner walking his reciepts to his car sprouting his 45 auto.

The biggest opposition is coming from LEOs. In this youtube clip, the Sheriff spokesman says if his men encounter someone with a pistol, sooner or later there will be 'bad outcome'.

YouTube - Open Carry Debate - Florida House of Representatives - 3/24/2011
    Number one, open carry is not "flaunting". It's carrying a gun in plain sight. Your choice of words gives makes it obvious you're trolling the open carry forum. You're also rehashing the old "OPEN CARRY WILL RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US", which is not only trolling, it's unoriginal trolling. If you're opposed to open carry, fine, don't do it. But leave your illogical assumptions to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybastid8 View Post
    I don't believe in open carry, it shouldn't exist. If someone qualifies to open carry, they should be able to conceal carry.

And Paul Helmke doesn't believe anyone should carry, ever, and that the Second Amendment shouldn't exist. Go and join the Brady Campaign; they seem to enjoy restricting our rights as much as you would.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybastid8 View Post
    I don't believe in open carry, it shouldn't exist. If someone qualifies to open carry, they should be able to conceal carry.
    Maybe because I want to OC at certain times or conditions? Maybe I should have that option? Maybe (if the current OC bill passes) if my CC is inadvertantly exposed while I CC I can't be charged with "improper exposure" or some other trumped-up charge because someone simply saw my gun? Maybe I don't want to have to dig my firearm out from under my clothing in an emergency?

There're many reasons someone might wish to OC, and I don't have any problem with that at all. I wish every law-abiding citizen carried a gun, and I don't care whether they hide it or not; that's their choice, their option, their right to bear arms as they see fit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by William Hill View Post
    Number one, open carry is not "flaunting". It's carrying a gun in plain sight. Your choice of words gives makes it obvious you're trolling the open carry forum. You're also rehashing the old "OPEN CARRY WILL RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US", which is not only trolling, it's unoriginal trolling. If you're opposed to open carry, fine, don't do it. But leave your illogical assumptions to yourself.
    Well put and I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Maybe because I want to OC at certain times or conditions? Maybe I should have that option? Maybe (if the current OC bill passes) if my CC is inadvertantly exposed while I CC I can't be charged with "improper exposure" or some other trumped-up charge because someone simply saw my gun? Maybe I don't want to have to dig my firearm out from under my clothing in an emergency?

There're many reasons someone might wish to OC, and I don't have any problem with that at all. I wish every law-abiding citizen carried a gun, and I don't care whether they hide it or not; that's their choice, their option, their right to bear arms as they see fit.
    Again, well put.
    Tn Mitch likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

JD
    Administrator
    You think maybe he's just a new guy that lives in Florida and isn't well versed in open carry and is looking for legitimate thought on it from people that do open carry or in the know about such things? Nah, lets just insult him instead, that's much more productive.

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    Another thought is Open Carry will led to better (bigger frame) guns, and better holsters
    See? He's learning...

And guys, Crazybasitid was banned for his idiocy, you can stop replying to his posts.

Ah... JD.... Don't ban... where will the fun be then???

Just kidding by the way ;-)
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You think maybe he's just a new guy that lives in Florida and isn't well versed in open carry and is looking for legitimate thought on it from people that do open carry or in the know about such things? Nah, lets just insult him instead, that's much more productive.

I favor open carry .... I am from Boca Raton ..... there are pill mills on main street ..... the greedy doctors even have their own pharamcies (oxycodone)

Now if you walk into one of these pill mills, or pharmacies ..... there will be ten cops there in five seconds. My point is there will be variuos reactions depending upon the place. You carry in a small town with an old time sheriff and the reaction will be different than carrying in an upcale mall with a rookie cop.

Its not really the antis we are trying to win the war with. Its the regualr Joe and Jane that has no understanding of firearms. You see. there are millions of people who get along just fine every day without a desire or notion to carry. I would guess to say that 98% percent of the people in this country will never have a brush with a criminal. I think our strategy is somewhat flawed due to only seeing things from our perspective, and adjusting our attitudes and agenda accordingly. We are for the most part, preaching to the choir here. Some may fear what they do not understand, while others may have at least enough constitutional grounding to understand the "individual rights" issue.

Right now, its about perception to those people. Right now even I have to admit as pro 2A as I am, the sight of people walking around openly carrying in public places makes me wonder how those other people will percieve him. At this point in time, I think the alot of people will look upon this as being overly zealous. Hopefully over time, it will change.

I read somewhere that back in the days of the Sammuri class in Japan, that they used 3 different sized swords, and carried them everywhere they went. The long sword, I think called the Katana, was the main battle sword, the next largest one was also used to fight, and the smallest one was to commit suicide with to prevent dishonor.
    When one was visiting another, or attending a social gathering, the main sword was left at home, because it was considered a provacative act, and considered bad manners.
    Not making any assumptions or suggestions, just thought this was interesting.

The samurai carried two swords, a katana and wakizashi. Sometimes, they substituted a dagger for the short sword. The short blades were meant for indoor use, and for times when the carry of a full length sword was forbidden by decorum. A samurai never left their sword home, ever. Please do your research next time.

Interestingly enough, during the Meiji Restoration, when the rule of Japan came back under the Imperial family, the wearing of swords was banned, and the samurai were abolished. Many took to concealing their swords in walking staffs. The only people allowed to wear swords, or own weapons of any kind, were the Imperial forces. They thought that someone wearing a weapon openly was fearsome, and unseemly, so they banned the ownership of weapons altogether.
    Dumbledork and NIS350ZTT like this.

The samurai carried two swords, a katana and wakizashi. Sometimes, they substituted a dagger for the short sword. The short blades were meant for indoor use, and for times when the carry of a full length sword was forbidden by decorum. A samurai never left their sword home, ever. Please do your research next time.

Interestingly enough, during the Meiji Restoration, when the rule of Japan came back under the Imperial family, the wearing of swords was banned, and the samurai were abolished. Many took to concealing their swords in walking staffs. The only people allowed to wear swords, or own weapons of any kind, were the Imperial forces. They thought that someone wearing a weapon openly was fearsome, and unseemly, so they banned the ownership of weapons altogether.
    Look Willy, I never claimed it to be a fact, just relating what I read somewhere sometime. Despite several trips to the far east I never got into the crap. As far as Im concerned its all a mute point after the FAT BOY hit.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I can't believe some of you advocate the fact the you would rather cater to anti's because of how it makes you look. Do not give in to that opinion or pretty soon you will no longer have firearms. There is a time and a place for everything. But OCing is better than not carrying at all and most people don't notice anyway. It drives me nuts that MWAG are issued in OC states. Criminals don't OC and rarely even use holsters. Let a lone expensive ones like most of us have. We are losing ground daily and its because our own people are giving in to fit in with society. Well Jefferson and his bunch didn't fit in with society in England and thats why they came here and allowed us the rights we have and its our duty to preserve them and not give them up because of how it makes us look in the eyes of the uneducated.

Why OC? Well, let me ramble here a bit about some of the reasons and I do live in Nevada, where OC is legal:

As has been pointed out, being able to legally OC is nice as there is then no fear of being prosecuted for accidentally revealing your gun.

Here in Nevada, each and every cotton pickin' semi-auto that you buy that is different from what is on your card, requires you to go and qualify with it. I work weekends, nights...and have you ever tried to find someone who will qualify you during the week? I tried for almost a year and finally got lucky, got a day off and qualified with the Sig that I had to frequently carry openly because of the law.

Another reason is tied in too the idea that concealed carry is something only bad guys and n'er do wells do. As a result, concealed carry in Nevada is restricted in areas such as the public library and public buildings----but OC is not! So, when going in too the DMV, it's time for the 'Virginia Tuck' and in you go so you don't have to leave your gun in the car, possibly to be stolen.

One thing that I've noticed is that a bunch of OC'ers in town sure acts like a spotlight illuminating the misdeeds and political shenanigans of both the cops and the town fathers. If you want to know whether your political leaders and police really are law abiding individuals who care about both the state and Federal constitution, just try OC'ing around town for while.

OC'ing is also a form of expression and it sure does work to also show which businesses are gun friendly. I, for one, sure don't like having my money go to any business that is going to infringe on my second amendment right. They have the right to post their nasty little 'No Guns' signs, and I have the right to take my business elsewhere---but this often isn't brought out into the open without OC.

And finally, sometimes I just don't have my cover garment (such as coming back from the range when wifey calls and says we need milk) or it's just too darn inconvenient to bother with. Yes, you do get people that occasionally freak out, but that is there problem. Look, I'm a Tea Party guy and I don't think that Tea Parties on April 15th should stop just because they offend the loony left---and ditto for OC.

I remember OC'ing one time into the local Grocery Outlet, where I had carried concealed for over two years. Yep, one of the clerks freaked out about 'why are you carrying that? That things dangerous!!

I looked at her and said 'I've carried concealed in here for the last two years, and there's never been any problems. I'm the same guy, carrying the same gun, I just don't have my cover garment today'. She thought about that for a moment, and remarked that maybe even concealed carry wasn't good, but that she understood what I meant. No cops called, and maybe I got through to her that there are folks carrying around her all the time. Just because I was carrying openly that day didn't automatically turn me into a monster.
    Tn Mitch and Spec like this.

I would again ask not to lump all LEO’s into one basket as it relates to supporting or not supporting anything. If that particular Sheriff doesn't support it that does not mean that LEO in general feel the same as him. Thanks

For me I don't care if you OC or not as long as your legal to carry .. I get that the average BG does not open carry and I'm not even going to expound on the there’s always an exception. Which would be more of a mental stability issue than a criminal issue..But again it shouldn’t prevent open legal carry. The more people see weapons in the open the more they are de-sensitized to it. Strap a bazooka to your back and have a good time at the mall…
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

I personally feel open carry to be extreme. And I support your right to say what you did. I will never open carry. As I said earlier why do we post in these forums with assumed names and then in the same sentence want to carry a firearm openly.

IMHO some things are better hidden.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links