The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude - Page 9

The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude

This is a discussion on The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very informative thread. We don't have the option to OC here in NY and never will. Carry on....

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude

Very informative thread. We don't have the option to OC here in NY and never will. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganCCW View Post
    Michigan is a shall issue CCW state but it still takes about $300 to get your permit ,that is a hinderance to a lot of LAC. So they have the option to OC and be perfectly legal. I personally like to CC because it gathers no attention by citizens or LE. CARRY ON !
    300 is a bit high. More along the lines of 210.00
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    Will criminals go to "Open Carry"? Absolutely not.

So what about average citizens and 'Open Carry'? I am hard put seeing 99% of most people flaunting a pistol. Who is going to walk into a 7/11, or a hospital, or a Wal-Mart with a Colt 1911 on their side. All that will really happen is stores will put up 'No weapons allowed' signs.

What you will see is, citizens taking a gun from their car in a self defense situation, or a pawn shop owner walking his reciepts to his car sprouting his 45 auto.

The biggest opposition is coming from LEOs. In this youtube clip, the Sheriff spokesman says if his men encounter someone with a pistol, sooner or later there will be 'bad outcome'.

YouTube - Open Carry Debate - Florida House of Representatives - 3/24/2011
    When it comes down to your life ultimately, you trust nobody. The police are there (very seldom) for the public yet you think they'll be there for you in time of need? You best take care of yourself and quit filling your mind with trivial stuff.
    carracer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdridley View Post
    Attachment 56412
    I own an auto restoration and custom automotive shop and the above sign is posted next to the entry door of my business. Once you walk through the doors, you will see 5 or 6 people working behind the counter with side arms in plain site. While there are home invasions and business being robbed in broad daylight all around me regularly, I have had no such issue. There are days when there are large sums of cash in the shop and we don't worry about people with bad intentions. We get dozens of customers every day....many families bringing children in to look at our work...and not one customer has been distressed by our firearms. I firmly believe that OC has kept me, my employees and my business safe.
    Just down the street from me, a very good man and business owner who CC's was surprised in the middle of the day when two men burst through the front door carrying shotguns, blew the security cameras off the walls and ceilings, hitting a customer in the process and robbed him of $37. When asked why he didn't pull his weapon, the owner said that the shotguns were in his face to quick for him to do anything.
    With me and many of my employees carrying sidearms in plain site, we send a clear message. There is no doubt in a bad guys mind that if he or she comes into my shop with bad intentions, they will pay dearly for their actions.
    Jack Dempsey said that the best defense is a good offense.....
    There are times when open carry makes sense--you in your place of business in a high crime neighborhood is one--I applaud you for protecting your property. That is radically different from walking around Walmart, Sav on, McDonalds etc with a Glock on your hip. Some in this thread have described doing this saying "and nothing happened." Well, maybe nothing happened to them, but how are they to know how many people you encountered found it off-putting? How many determined, as a result of seeing OC, that it's a bad idea to let people walk around playing cowboy? Will they differentiate between open and concealed when they write their legislators? If I was a thug who wanted to score a handgun, I can think of no easier way than walking around a Walmart until I spotted an open-carrier, getting in the checkout line behind him , hitting him over the head with a ball bat and taking his gun. Open carry is a threat to concealed carry rights, and you can preach about the constitution all you want but you only have to look at NY, California and Illinois to see that our carry rights can be taken away. We've come such a long way in my 63 years in terms of the ability to carry a handgun legally. I'd hate to see the exhibitionistic yahoos who get off by showing their piece in public blow it for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon Hickey View Post
    I'd hate to see the exhibitionistic yahoos who get off by showing their piece in public blow it for the rest of us.
    Some of those yahoos just can't get their head around being photographed and fingerprinted, and put in a database common to rapists and murderers. Some of those yahoos would rather not be asked by LE why they didn't notify at a traffic stop. (Talking about the laws here, there is no obligation to notify) Some of those yahoos take their beliefs to heart, and understand that in the continuum of derivation and denial of rights, the role of the armed citizen has been reversed. It was once common... almost universal for law abiding citizens to be openly armed. And it was once a violation of common law to conceal your arms. Some of those yahoos want that common sense common law back. How many people encountered OC and educated themselves to the point where they decided OC may be for them? You are much more experienced man than I and I don't need to remind you, that when you leave the home with a loaded firearm, plain for the whole world to see, that you are not playing. Do you let people within your space while you are carrying just because you assume they are unaware of your firearm? I'm not going to equate those who CC (myself being among them) to the criminals they were once identified with before this paradigm shift into this castrated society. But I wouldn't build up those who chose to OC (myself being among those as well) into something they may not be based on your assumptions.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

I can't speak for the attention seekers and will make no effort to justify their actions but I really don't think my OCing is a threat to anyone's gun rights. I started carrying about a year ago and have decided after trying a variety of guns and holsters that my XDM compact in a Blackhawk Serpa is the most suitable for me. Pocket pistols don't fit my hand well. IWB is fine for church or select situations where it doesn't feel appropriate to advertise but it gets uncomfortable in a hurry. As the weather has gotten warmer and the coat has come off I haven't made any attempt to hide my weapon. I go to the same places and interact with the same people. The same video store, restaurants and grocery store. It's not about getting attention. It's not a political statement. I'm not on any YouTube videos that I know of. I just go about my business and most people don't notice or care that I have a pistol on my side. I've had a few dirty looks but not enough to persuade the law makers. Those who even notice see an armed guy with his armed wife and little girl peacefully going about our day and putting money back in the economy.
    carracer likes this.

That is radically different from walking around Walmart, Sav on, McDonalds etc with a Glock on your hip. Some in this thread have described doing this saying "and nothing happened." Well, maybe nothing happened to them, but how are they to know how many people you encountered found it off-putting? How many determined, as a result of seeing OC, that it's a bad idea to let people walk around playing cowboy? Will they differentiate between open and concealed when they write their legislators?
    If the only reason some people are OK with concealed carry is the fact that they don't know that the people around them are armed, then are they really OK with it? If the write their legislators, what, really is that going to do? Pro 2A people will write their legislators too....

Also, a select few people that OC "play cowboy" just like a select few people that CC do the same by intervening in situations they have no business getting involved in. Most do it because they feel it is the best way in which to defend themselves and their loved ones.

If I was a thug who wanted to score a handgun, I can think of no easier way than walking around a Walmart until I spotted an open-carrier, getting in the checkout line behind him , hitting him over the head with a ball bat and taking his gun.
    I can think of lots of easier ways to get a gun. Situational awareness, which we all should utilize, would most likely make the BG unsuccessful in such a venture. There have only been two cases that I have EVER seen documentation for in which an OCer has successfully been targeted for his/her weapon.

Open carry is a threat to concealed carry rights, and you can preach about the constitution all you want but you only have to look at NY, California and Illinois to see that our carry rights can be taken away. We've come such a long way in my 63 years in terms of the ability to carry a handgun legally. I'd hate to see the exhibitionistic yahoos who get off by showing their piece in public blow it for the rest of us.
    Do you have any documentation for you claim that OC is a threat to CC?? California (to the best of my knowledge) recently banned OC in certain areas, yet CC was not hindered in any way. Wisconsin was an OC only state that recently got CC rights... again, your point seems to lack factual backing.

Openly carrying a firearm usually has nothing to do with exhibitionism, and everything to do with self-defense. Sure, you can find a few yahoos who open carry and post videos on youtube, but they do not represent the vast majority of OCers. Do the CCers that accidentally shoot themselves or others represent all of the CCers??? I suggest that you do a little bit of research into open carry before you make a judgment call against it. If you don't want to do it, that's fine, but don't spout nonsense about why it is bad.
    carracer likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Whether I personally favor it or not is irrelevant, it should be the law of the land, along with CC.
    I believe it already is the law of the land. The problem is that the law has been hijacked by zealots.
    carracer likes this.

Ideal conversation:

911 Operator: "911"

Panicked Citizen: "I see a man with a gun!!!"

911 Operator: "What is he doing with it?"

Panicked Citizen: "Well...nothing. He's just carrying it around in his holster."

911 Operator: "This line is for emergencies. Call us back when you have one."

Click.
    MisterAvis likes this.

I may be off base here, but I'm seeing a division forming in the ranks. I would be happier thinking that the open carry people would support the concealed carry people and visa-versa. That is how the antis will defeat us all...divide and conquer
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Agree. I hereby pledge to only criticize the critics.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    I may be off base here, but I'm seeing a division forming in the ranks. I would be happier thinking that the open carry people would support the concealed carry people and visa-versa. That is how the antis will defeat us all...divide and conquer
    I just support "Carry". Period.
    carracer likes this.

Amen brother
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybastid8 View Post
    I don't believe in open carry, it shouldn't exist. If someone qualifies to open carry, they should be able to conceal carry.
    ROTF,
    come visit AZ. this is the most open carry state I have seen. and the sheep do not cower in fear.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybastid8 View Post
    Any response? Please?
    It doesn't seem to be much of a problem in LOTS of other states...I'm just sayin'...
    No one would be forcing you to OC, just like you shouldn't be forcing others to CC.

I've headed north and OC'ed simply because it was very hot and I wanted to see what it was like...nothing, nada, zip, zero, nothing...not one person even glanced at my side arm.
    The wife and our grandkids were in all kinds of stores, got gas going north, and even ate in several fast food places...never a concern. (in GA, TN, and KY)
    It's whatever the sheep get used to...
    LongRider likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links