The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude

This is a discussion on The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Will criminals go to "Open Carry"? Absolutely not. So what about average citizens and 'Open Carry'? I am hard put seeing 99% of most people ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude

The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude

Will criminals go to "Open Carry"? Absolutely not.

So what about average citizens and 'Open Carry'? I am hard put seeing 99% of most people flaunting a pistol. Who is going to walk into a 7/11, or a hospital, or a Wal-Mart with a Colt 1911 on their side. All that will really happen is stores will put up 'No weapons allowed' signs.

What you will see is, citizens taking a gun from their car in a self defense situation, or a pawn shop owner walking his reciepts to his car sprouting his 45 auto.

The biggest opposition is coming from LEOs. In this youtube clip, the Sheriff spokesman says if his men encounter someone with a pistol, sooner or later there will be 'bad outcome'.

YouTube - Open Carry Debate - Florida House of Representatives - 3/24/2011

2. Remove Ads

Theres no logic in politics

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post

So what about average citizens and 'Open Carry'? I am hard put seeing 99% of most people flaunting a pistol. Who is going to walk into a 7/11, or a hospital, or a Wal-Mart with a Colt 1911 on their side.
    I did just a couple hours ago; Sam's Club, Wlagreen's, Hy-Vee (grocery) Quick Trip (Stop-N-Rob), O'Riely auto parts, Burger King; hospitals are no carry here.

And you know what happened............... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!

"peoples rights need to be granted in a responsible way for the right reasons"??????????????????????????????????? ITS A RIGHT! It should not have to be "granted"
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    Will criminals go to "Open Carry"? Absolutely not.

So what about average citizens and 'Open Carry'? I am hard put seeing 99% of most people flaunting a pistol. Who is going to walk into a 7/11, or a hospital, or a Wal-Mart with a Colt 1911 on their side. All that will really happen is stores will put up 'No weapons allowed' signs.

What you will see is, citizens taking a gun from their car in a self defense situation, or a pawn shop owner walking his reciepts to his car sprouting his 45 auto.

The biggest opposition is coming from LEOs. In this youtube clip, the Sheriff spokesman says if his men encounter someone with a pistol, sooner or later there will be 'bad outcome'.

YouTube - Open Carry Debate - Florida House of Representatives - 3/24/2011
    I have walked into a walmart, many different types of drug stores, several 7/11 and other stop and rob type stores and many other places with an openly carried Glock 23 on my hip. No one freaked out. No one rushed to put up a no guns sign. In fact I got a chain of Lenny's sub shop stores to take down their idiotic no guns signs with calm logic and reason.

Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    "peoples rights need to be granted in a responsible way for the right reasons"??????????????????????????????????? ITS A RIGHT! It should not have to be "granted"
    That fool can't grant a right to anyone. Rights are bestowed upon us at birth by someone of a hell of a lot higher pay grade that this idiot.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I don't believe in open carry, it shouldn't exist. If someone qualifies to open carry, they should be able to conceal carry.
    AIRWAR and Richard58 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybastid8 View Post
    I don't believe in open carry, it shouldn't exist. If someone qualifies to open carry, they should be able to conceal carry.
    Welcome to the site Crazybastid8. Please read the forum rules because you just broke the main one for this sub forum and that is good way to get booted from the site.

Take the attitude somewhere else. This sub forum is dedicated to OC. If you don't believe in it that's fine. But don't come in here and try to start a debate on the merits of OC vs CC.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Welcome to the site Crazybastid8. Please read the forum rules because you just broke the main one for this sub forum and that is good way to get booted from the site.

Take the attitude somewhere else. This sub forum is dedicated to OC. If you don't believe in it that's fine. But don't come in here and try to start a debate on the merits of OC vs CC.
    Actually, that rule was lifted months ago. Have at it.
    Vaquero 45 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Actually, that rule was lifted months ago. Have at it.
    Really?!? Holy crap. I hadn't seen that! Well......in that case......
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Really. Its all good until somebody crosses the line.

Changes to the Open Carry forum
    "Just blame Sixto"

Again, welcome to the site.

Now, I would like to ask why exactly you, above everyone else in the world, feel that you know why open carry shouldn't exist? Open carry is somehow bad? Does it scare the innocent people out there? Well, if that is the case, could it not also be said that concealed carry also would scare the innocent little snow flakes that wander around the world in a perpetual state of condition white? So shouldn't concealed carry be banned as well?

No? Well, I'm just using your flawed logic to go to the flawed natural conclusion.

In fact open carry has been shown, rather conclusively, to prevent crime. I can point to this article that nicely makes my point: Georgia- Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw Politics, Religion, and Family The two men in question were not even aware at the time that they were deterring a robbery.

Believe what you want but,coming in here and making statements like "it shouldn't exist" are just trying to stir up trouble. Open carry is every bit as legitimate form of carry for self defense as concealed carry. You saying it shouldn't exist makes you sound a whole lot like an anti-gun type in my book.

But wait, I just looked at your profile. Now I understand the attitude and the demeanor towards OC. You are a retired NYPD LEO. Now it all makes sense. They ingrain that "everyone with a gun who isn't a cop has to be a bad guy" BS into you guys pretty deep. To bad it isn't the truth.
    8th ID, JeffD, Pro2A and 3 others like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Too bad OC is what the Founding fathers recognized when then wrote the Second Amendment... I could just see a conversation like go like this.
    Jefferson: "hey Madison how do you conceal that musket you have?"
    Madison: "WHAT! are you serous? I just OC it, then all the Redcoats just don't mess with me in the first place, why should I conceal it that is silly?"

I don't think "concealing a firearm" was what they had in mind gentlemen.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I just believe that any law abiding citizen, w/o a felony record should be able to carry a firearm. I think it is best concealed though. Why tip off a bad guy that you have a weapon? Cops carry concealed all the time, I feel every citizen should have this right. If I was a typical NYPD Cop,( most NYPD Cops believe in the 2nd amendment, the politicians don't) who believes no one should have guns, why would I extoll the virtues of concealed carry? Why tip off your hand with open carry. You are a law abiding customer in a bank, robbers come in with guns to rob it, they see your open carry gun and take you out right away. If it was concealed they wouldn't notice you. Where I live now, in Va people open carry because they didn't qualify for conceal carry. This is why I came out with my conceal carry statement. If you are a law abiding citizen, you should be able to carry, but concealed is your best mode. How would you feel if you were in a minor fender bender and the other person was irate and wanted to get back at you. They see your gun on your hip and tell the police that you pulled your gun out and threatened them. Now you go to jail. If it was concealed, they would never think to make up a story like that.

BTW the title of this thread is Thread: The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude so I just gave an opinion, but I was attacked by everyone since I posted. In NYC only Cops and criminals have guns. This is why i believe law abiding citizens should have guns. From a tactical standpoint, open carry is the worst way, in my opinion.

Any response? Please?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links