Question about Open Carry

This is a discussion on Question about Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can someone explain to me the importance of OC'ing? I like having my CCW with me by my side, but should I even care if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question about Open Carry

Can someone explain to me the importance of OC'ing?

I like having my CCW with me by my side, but should I even care if care if I'm allowed to OC or not? I read other threads about it, with people saying they want OC in their state. But why do you want it if you can already CC? I know there are states where you can only OC but that's not the question. I have a few opinions on Open carrying.

1. If you are OC'ing in public isn't that like a scarlet letter with people always watching your every move? (making sure you're up to no good)

2. Doesn't going to a mall or store make that more of an issue?

3. If you had to draw, would OC really make any significant difference in draw speed?

4. If you were to illegally OC at night, how would anyone know? (outside or around neighborhood)

5. If a BG was eying you from afar and decided to make a target out of you (already seeing your gun because you're OC'ing) Doesn't that eliminate the element of surprise if you were confronted and had to draw?

I'm not knocking the idea of OC'ing but I don't see a reason why I need it or what's the big deal about it. I can understand if you're doing it while hiking, fishing, or to and from the range. I'm just asking for insight on the purpose of Open Carrying.
    I believe in Democracy but I'm not a Democrat
    I believe in Liberty but I'm not a Liberal
    I believe in Guns but I don't believe in Gun Violence

I have only OC'd on my property, in the woods and while in LE.

#3 With the right rig and practice, OC can be considerably faster than CC. In LE I wore what was considered one of, if not, the fastest rig available at the time. It was very fast.

I'll leave the rest to someone else.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Because we should have the right to. The Constitution puts no restrictions on how we can bear our arms. We should fight for the right to carry any way we please. I do prefer OC, but now that I have my CWP, I will probably CC while in town. Outside town though, I will stick with OC, simply because I prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    The Constitution puts no restrictions on how we can bear our arms.
    The Constitution doesn't put restrictions up but the government does. As I said in a previous thread, we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get a permit or even need one for that matter. I understand that people have their preferences, I was just wondering...

1- YOu'd be surprised at how few people notice. And fewer still react. I've had a handful of odd reaction, but many more positive ones.

2- see 1

3- I think it's easier, and likely faster. I've not bothered to compare them though.

4- Not sure how to answer, other than getting caught illegally OC'ing would make your guns pretty worthless. You probably could not have them any more.

5- It's very rarely reported that way. OC'ers getting attacked is very rare, there are a couple of cases though. I bet there are a more cases of CC'ers getting attacked. Would the BG knowing the victim was armed have stopped them? My guess is very few BG's want to tangle with a known armed victim. Particularly when there are so many unarmed ones.

It's not for everyone. Not saying anyone should not OC. Just that some folks never come around to the idea, or feel comfortable doing it. Which if fine if you have a CCP. In NC you can OC without any type of permit. That's the main reason for some folks. They just don't want to jump through the hoops to carry.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Nine O Four View Post

I like having my CCW with me by my side, but should I even care if care if I'm allowed to OC or not? I read other threads about it, with people saying they want OC in their state. But why do you want it if you can already CC? I know there are states where you can only OC but that's not the question. I have a few opinions on Open carrying.

1. If you are OC'ing in public isn't that like a scarlet letter with people always watching your every move? (making sure you're up to no good)

3. If you had to draw, would OC really make any significant difference in draw speed?

4. If you were to illegally OC at night, how would anyone know? (outside or around neighborhood)

5. If a BG was eying you from afar and decided to make a target out of you (already seeing your gun because you're OC'ing) Doesn't that eliminate the element of surprise if you were confronted and had to draw?

I'm not knocking the idea of OC'ing but I don't see a reason why I need it or what's the big deal about it. I can understand if you're doing it while hiking, fishing, or to and from the range. I'm just asking for insight on the purpose of Open Carrying.
    1. At times, yes. Other times, people are oblivious to people carrying. Besides, people watch you no matter what. If they do notice it, then yes, they do tend to watch. But, it's been my experience that they only care for a few minutes for the most part. Once they realize there's nothing going on their minds will wander to the next wonder which occupies their days.

2. Being in a mall while carrying is next to impossible as most of them have rules banning guns on their property- to include in the parking lots. This also almost always universally applies to CC as well, btw. In that regard, the point is moot. In other stores, I've found exactly one store so far in my years of carrying which has had an issue with me or anyone else carrying openly, and that happened only yesterday. It was a bit odd as I have been there several times before that with no issues. I don't know if it was a newer clerk or whatever, but he did ask that I leave it outside on my next visit...like there will be a next visit lol.

3. I'm not aware of a test out there comparing the draw speeds of both CC and OC weapons so I can't say from a scientific standpoint. Anything beyond that would be based on the personal experiences of those answering. I have yet to have the need to draw in a real life situation in my defense so I cannot say from experience. From a speculation perspective, unless access to your gun would be restricted by your clothing (such as anything more than a loose shirt or coat being the concealment option), I can't see where openly carrying a weapon would offer much more in the area of the speed of a draw. Other methods of concealment might hinder a draw, though, such as the gun being in a pack or purse of some sort, being under a coat that is zipped up, etc.

4. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by illegally conceal at night. Do you mean by carrying openly in an area which bans open carrying? I know of no laws which restrict OC based on the time of day. But then again, I can't claim to know every law out there, either. I will say this though: carrying a gun at night openly usually doesn't offer much by the way of "concealment". Once you get close enough, it sticks right out there either way.

5. I have yet to see much in the regard of news showing that a BG targeted someone because they were OCing. Perhaps links to such events would help. Personally, I think it's more of a myth or urban legend than anything based on a significant number of actual events. I see some stories that related how some criminals targeted security personnel while committing crimes, though. I think it's more a testimonial that BGs will target them naturally due to the nature of their job there more than the fact that the guard was openly carrying. More toward your question though, would the fact that you are not carrying openly cause a criminal to target you? After all, criminals tend to take the path of least resistance as a norm. All said and done though, criminals are usually not known for their brain power. Some of them do the dumbest things and there's not a lot of rational objective thought applied to most criminal acts. To this end I'd have to see a significant number of reports showing that criminals actually targeted someone during a crime due to the fact that a person was openly carrying before I'd give the idea much credence.

To me, there is no "big deal" concerning OC. It's my preferred method of carry and I find little that is controversial about it in the first place. I have nothing against CC, either. I see where having a permit to CC would come in handy when it comes to inclement weather, but really, my coat allows for OC quite well. I see few legitimate arguments against OC or even CC for that matter. I think it's a case of people getting all worked up over such a little matter simply because they want to justify their own method of carry either way. The answer is simple: Choose which way you want to carry and which way works best for your peace of mind and let it be. The debate between OC and CC is one of the most ridiculous arguments I see among gun owners.
    TN_Mike likes this.

It's amazing how people don't notice when I open carry. The times when I open carry are

- coming out of the movie theater at night
    - pumping gas
    - returning to my car from a store
    - around my home

If you aren't situationally aware, you could have a RPG and it still wouldn't make a bit of difference, especially to the hardcore crack/meth head. IMO, open carry is a huge crime deterrent.
    Red-Leg

I think CC is more appropriate in more congested area but OC has its uses too.

There have been studies which interviewed BG in prison all over the country and 60% of criminals avoided committing a crime if they knew the person was armed and 40% if they thought the victim was armed.

Im sure the other 40% were referring to attacks on rival gangs or other criminals. Some like 94% of gun murders are between criminals

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Do I want to strap on my leg iron and strut around WM like Marshal Dillon? Nope.

I prefer OWB over IWB, and for me, living in S. FL where shorts and Ts are the norm, being able to wear OWB and not be concerned if the bottom of the holster protruded below the shirt (currently risking "improper exposure" charges) would make life easier.

As for the BGs targeting me? Would you purposely engage someone that was obviously armed? I wouldn't. If my intent was to knock off a convenience store and I saw someone with a gun, I'd wait until that person left before I took the chance he shot better and faster than I do. Call me crazy for thinking that.

And yes, I can draw from my OWB faster than digging out from under my tucked shirt.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Nope. In fact, I have open carried for an entire day an watched closely for any kind of reaction and not seen a single one. I'm sure it depends on the part of the country you live in and the general attitudes of the people who live there but, my experience has been that OC is no more noticed than CC.

Nope. It is a non-issue.

Yes, it can in fact make a difference. No need to clear the cover garment.

I do not carry in an illegal manner, ever so i wouldn't know the answer to that.

This is something that has been thought of for a long time. I have never heard an instance of this happening. Not saying it can't but I have never seen an account of it. Plus, most criminals are pretty focused on their goal, getting the money, to the point that there have been reports of bank robbers walking right past uniformed cops standing in line at the bank to rob it. I have however read instances of criminals NOT robbing a place because someone was there who was open carrying.open carry deters armed robbery Kennesaw.

Any form of legal carry should be supported by all of us. You let the antis take open carry away and sooner or later they will be taking CC away from you. We stand together or we fall one by one. Besides, the Second Amendment does not make any distinction as to the manner of carry, just that the right guarantees the carrying of weapons.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by rotor View Post

4. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by illegally conceal at night. Do you mean by carrying openly in an area which bans open carrying?
    What I meant was, if you live in a state that doesn't permit OC'ing yet it permits CC, and you were the CC during the day, and OC at night. If you were in your neighborhood (walking your dog) or doing whatever at night, and you had to draw on a BG, would anyone even know you were OC'ing even though it's not permitted in your state?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    As for the BGs targeting me? Would you purposely engage someone that was obviously armed? I wouldn't. If my intent was to knock off a convenience store and I saw someone with a gun, I'd wait until that person left before I took the chance he shot better and faster than I do. Call me crazy for thinking that.
    I didn't say most BGs use their brains. But, if a guy sees you from afar, he's scoping you out, knows you have a gun, yet you didn't know he has a gun, isn't the only thing he'll have to do is draw on you before he even notices you? Isn't it like the Old Western, both people have guns but the person with the quickest draw normally wins?

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post

Any form of legal carry should be supported by all of us. You let the antis take open carry away and sooner or later they will be taking CC away from you. We stand together or we fall one by one. Besides, the Second Amendment does not make any distinction as to the manner of carry, just that the right guarantees the carrying of weapons.
    Since you mentioned the Second Amendment, do we really have any major problems to worry about dealing with the anti's? As crazy as some of the gun laws are, we still will have our guns because the Second Amendment guarantees us the right to bear arms. Unless the plan on tearing that out or abolishing the Constitution won't we win in the end anyways?

I didn't say most BGs use their brains. But, if a guy sees you from afar, he's scoping you out, knows you have a gun, yet you didn't know he has a gun, isn't the only thing he'll have to do is draw on you before he even notices you? Isn't it like the Old Western, both people have guns but the person with the quickest draw normally wins?
    There are ways to deal with that too.
    Drawing Against The Drop (DATD)
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Thanks for the thread I'll take a look at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links