About to OC for the first time

This is a discussion on About to OC for the first time within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thought I'd try it. Haven't gone yet, but I'm meeting up with a local open carry forum member in about a half hour for my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to OC for the first time

Thought I'd try it.

Haven't gone yet, but I'm meeting up with a local open carry forum member in about a half hour for my first OC around downtown Auburn. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous. But I'm dressed in my nicest casual clothes and my best OWB carry rig. Hell, I even put some cologne on to hopefully keep the sheep at ease. Wish me luck.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Good luck. When I open carry I use my very best manners and behaviour. I have not even noticed some one noticing me. But this is Idaho. Good luck and good on ya!!!
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Senior Moderator
    I've open carried about.... maybe 6 times (other than to gun ranges, trainings and while working with guns where "open carried" guns was expected).

EVERY time felt like the first time and I felt very naked and exposed. A couple of times I couldn't stand it anymore and concealed. A lot of people have told me I'd get more used to it but I don't know. I'm not against trying again one day and I have no problem with people who do it but so far it's not for me. Maybe I'll have to go spend some time with a daily open carrier and just go out with them everywhere until I get comfortable and try another solo trip.

With other people who open carry I'm far more comfortable. By myself I don't do as well. And it seems like every time there is always something someone says about it and I don't like that attention either.

It will be interesting to hear what you think about your first time.

Just got back from my first OC walk. It was pretty full of everything you'd want from your first OC, lol!

Had two encounters with cops. As soon as I'd gotten out of the truck and started walking around, this cop in a cruiser just started staring us down...and I was thinking oh crap...but kept on walking and acting natural. Nothing happened, cop drove on.

A little later on, another cop dove over from the left hand lane and stopped right beside us in the right hand lane. Again I was thinking oh crap...but he was just turning right and stopping for the light.

Went past a few people walking and a bunch of people driving in cars. I did notice a few people watching, but no one said anything, so I don't know if their reactions were positive or negative.

As for how I felt about it, I have to agree I felt kinda exposed and like I had a huge spotlight on me the whole time. I don't know if this will go away yet, I do know that as of right now I don't feel comfortable enough with OC to just go and do it on my own anywhere just yet. I'll have to see if it starts feeling any more natural. I plan on attending a few more local OC meets.

I purposefully did dress to look a bit like a detective though, ha. Don't know if that helped me or not.

An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Administrator
    Try splashing on even more cologne next time.

That should keep the cops away.

If I do that, it will keep EVERYONE away. Which could have it's advantages.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    It gets,easier. Iv been oc'ing quite a bit. I get looks from some but most do not notice.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

About the only time I open carry is when I'm riding my motorcycle in the hot weather.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The only question I have is.......why?

While OC is not rare in the Phoenix suburbs, it's not real common, either. The times I've carried openly I've been more self-conscious than normal, but a few trips to fast-food joints or the supermarket convinced me that virtually NOBODY notices. And this isn't with a mouse gun in a concealment rig, but a full-sized Sig or 1911 in an OWB holster.

I almost always carry concealed, but coming back from training or competition events I don't bother to revert to concealed.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    The only question I have is.......why?
    Why do you carry?

On topic, glad to see another person getting into OC. I had no choice until a little over a week ago. Didn't have my CWP. lol. Now that I have that I won't OC as much, but I'm sure there will be times during the summer that I'll have no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Why do you carry?
    Welcome to an adult conversation.

I was curious why the OP feels the need to OC and do "OC Meets" and so forth. I am not anti-OC, I just find it fascinating that people want to do it and I feel the question is justified and I do not mean it in an argumentative way at all. I am just curious. I don't know of concealed carry meets and dinners and so on, it is something I'd like to hear about from the OC crowd.

Nevermind. Another thread already on this topic.

I look forward to the day that OC is legal in FL and enough time has elapsed that no one gives it a second look...we'll see.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    It's nice to be around a group of like minded people, that's one reason for oc meetings.

Here in Ohio I have the choice of oc or cc (with my chl) and mix it up depending on what I'm wearing and where I'm going and mainly my mood. If I'm going to a fair or other even there will be hundreds of people I'm going to cc, but if I'm going out for a walk or to McDonald's or something I may just oc. Also if I'm oc'ing I do it when I'm wearing decent clothes and not when I'm wearing some of my shirts with odd sayings on them, I also make sure I'm clean and presentable (i shower daily but I make sure I'm shaved and fresh) just to go with the decent clothing. If iv not shaved in a couple days that means I'm looking a bit rough and therefore I will cc. I want to give who ever sees me oc'ing a positive impression.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Regarding the question why...why not? I guess that's the way I see it.

I agree that being around like minded people is the reason for the meets.

I've done some thinking since then and decided that OC is probably not for me, at least not yet. Now that I've done it though, I'll be OC'ing to the meets and to the range, since it is my right. Just not out and about. Maybe when it is known to be 100% legal here (it is, but a lot of the cops don't know it yet) I'll do it a little more often. I DON'T think I'll be doing it around downtown again though, lol. Talk about starting off running! Everybody and their mother is around watching you there.

Further on the question of why, I was just proud to be fully exercising a little known (and used) component of our second amendment rights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links