policeone.com article on OC contacts

This is a discussion on policeone.com article on OC contacts within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 8 tips on contacts with 'open carry' citizens I give this one a 95/100. Not bad at all. Although the 800 pound gorilla, that LEOs ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chiefjason

Thread: policeone.com article on OC contacts

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

policeone.com article on OC contacts

8 tips on contacts with 'open carry' citizens

I give this one a 95/100. Not bad at all. Although the 800 pound gorilla, that LEOs OC, isn't brought up.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

mel
    I thought it was a good article. As far as the comment about the LEO's openly carrying, I have to agree. I do know when I go out and see LEO's out among the masses there are a surprising amount of people that seem to get on edge. The reason behind it? Not sure, but in some cases I would have to believe that the gun issue comes in to play. With that in mind I can see how some of the "uneducated" would feel their safety is in jeopardy with someone out walking around with a gun on the hip.

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Not a bad article at all!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Good article. thanks for sharing.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

If OC'rs, CC'rs and LE would heed it, things would go a lot smoother.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Well written.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Good Article.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    It was a good read, thanks for sharing. wish everyone was as level-headed as the author seemed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    It was a good read, thanks for sharing. wish everyone was as level-headed as the author seemed to be.
    +1...Should be required reading for all LEO's.

Now that was refreshing. Thanks for posting.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

VIP Member
    I am thrilled reading the posts of the LEO, commenting about the general public carrying firearms.

Their overall attitude is refreshing, and hopefully their mindset will catch on like wild fire, instead of the old, "if dey gotta gun, dey must be a criminal and up to no good, ."

Heres a post of one officer from the article.

Posted by Coptrainer1 on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:38 AM Pacific Report Abuse

The situational awareness which armed citizeins possess is, for the most part, far better than most patrol and beat officers. I don't think that an armed citizen is seen as a new source of IRON by criminals on the street. Most thugs know that if they attempt to assault an armed citizen, they are going to get shot! And that is a it should be! I've seen cops who never even knew that they were being watched by trainers, to ascertain, as an experiment, how high their awareness level was! To be brutally frank.............it was abysmal, to say the least.
    Thugs aren't impressed by a firearm. They've been shot before. But what impresses thugs is getting shot and staying shot, permanently! Most of the armed citizinry I have trained, are far better prepared and equipped to defend themselves, legally, than most police officers. Let's face it, for the most part, cops can't shoot worth a damned! Sometimes, I'd rather have an armed civilian, than some cops, assisting me in stopping an armed thug! Usually, the thug ends up on the loosing end! Almost all armed citizenry I come in contact with, train, train, and train, more than any cop I ever worked with. Most of them go to schools, and are far more willing to spend their money on training than most of the agencies I've seen! Cops need to start training more, and smarter. Armed citizens are an asset. And they need to be cultivated by the policy makers and administrators, who don't know their badges from a hole in the ground.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I am thrilled reading the posts of the LEO, commenting about the general public carrying firearms.

Their overall attitude is refreshing, and hopefully their mindset will catch on like wild fire, instead of the old, "if dey gotta gun, dey must be a crimina and up to no good, ."

Heres a post of one officer from the article.

Posted by Coptrainer1 on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:38 AM Pacific Report Abuse

The situational awareness which armed citizeins possess is, for the most part, far better than most patrol and beat officers. I don't think that an armed citizen is seen as a new source of IRON by criminals on the street. Most thugs know that if they attempt to assault an armed citizen, they are going to get shot! And that is a it should be! I've seen cops who never even knew that they were being watched by trainers, to ascertain, as an experiment, how high their awareness level was! To be brutally frank.............it was abysmal, to say the least.
    Thugs aren't impressed by a firearm. They've been shot before. But what impresses thugs is getting shot and staying shot, permanently! Most of the armed citizinry I have trained, are far better prepared and equipped to defend themselves, legally, than most police officers. Let's face it, for the most part, cops can't shoot worth a damned! Sometimes, I'd rather have an armed civilian, than some cops, assisting me in stopping an armed thug! Usually, the thug ends up on the loosing end! Almost all armed citizenry I come in contact with, train, train, and train, more than any cop I ever worked with. Most of them go to schools, and are far more willing to spend their money on training than most of the agencies I've seen! Cops need to start training more, and smarter. Armed citizens are an asset. And they need to be cultivated by the policy makers and administrators, who don't know their badges from a hole in the ground.
    That's awesome. Glad to know that at least some LEOs know that we're not incompetent nincompoops when it comes to defense.

Interesting article. Some of the comments at the bottom make me wonder though. Seems most of the LEO's seem to think that no matter where in the US, the gun must be unloaded to OC.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

This part is absolutely spot on!

"Friendly behavior goes a long way. People key on behavior rather than the weapon. Most folks respond well to a smile, polite behavior or a warm hello rather than a cold stare. I recommend that approach. You will be surprised how many people respond in a positive manner when you do that. "

I've brought someone from nearly calling the cops, to joking around and telling her where to get training and her CCP just by smiling and being friendly. It goes a long way. You can say darn near anything if you say it with a smile.
    William Hill likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links