Florida Open Carry Bill (SB 234) on Senate floor today

This is a discussion on Florida Open Carry Bill (SB 234) on Senate floor today within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I checked the Flasenate.gov site yesterday and the Open Carry bill is scheduled to be introduced on the floor of the Senate today. Not sure ...

I checked the Flasenate.gov site yesterday and the Open Carry bill is scheduled to be introduced on the floor of the Senate today.

Not sure if they will get around to a vote or not, but it's passed every committee it's been in so I am hopeful it will pass a Senate vote as well.

Then, it's on to the House (and if it passes), then on to Gov. Scott who has already said he would sign it.

Here's hoping! I don't plan on OC'ing, but I'd sure like the comfort of knowing I won't face a charge if I accidentally expose my EDC.

Cross your fingers ladies and gents!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides" - Thomas Jefferson

The house verion passed yesterday overwhelmingly. Not sure about what needs to be done to reconcile the two, if it passes the senate. Bogdanoff has again offered an amendment to gut open carry. We will see...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Hopefully this will progress quickly now (well, as quickly as politics gets anyhow). It would be nice not to have to "hide" my personal defense under a bunch of clothing, to not worry about it being seen, and only needing to "cover" it to remain discreet.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

As of 9:12am this morning, SB 234 (with an amendment forbidding open carry, but allowing for no penalty for inadvertent exposure of a concealed firearm by a CPL holder) passed the Senate vote 26 yeas to 11 nays. I guess the Governor will sign this now.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides" - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mill419 View Post
    As of 9:12am this morning, SB 234 (with an amendment forbidding open carry, but allowing for no penalty for inadvertent exposure of a concealed firearm by a CPL holder) passed the Senate vote 26 yeas to 11 nays. I guess the Governor will sign this now.
    My understanding is that they now have to reconcile the house and senate versions. Hope is slim that OC will be allowed, and FL Open Carry is saying this makes it MORE likely for one to be arrested for inadvertent exposure.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Here's what they adopted in regards to open carry"
    9 (1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection
    10 (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about
    11 his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It
    12 is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to
    13 carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who
    14 is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly
    15 and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another
    16 person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an
    17 angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
    This appears to prevent arrest for inadvertent exposure and more significantly for exposure in "necessary self-defense".

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Florida concealed carry improved somewhat

Thank you for contacting Governor Rick Scott regarding legislation passed by the Florida Legislature during the 2011 regular session. The Governor appreciates your thoughts and asked that I respond on his behalf.

The Executive Office of the Governor follows all bills as they move through the legislative process. Please be assured, Governor Scott carefully considered your comments and those of other concerned citizens regarding Senate Bill 234 relating to Firearms as he made his decision.

After consulting with all interested parties and thoroughly weighing all sides of this issue, Governor Scott signed Senate Bill 234 into law on June 17. Information about the Governor's Bill Actions can be found on the Governor's web site at Florida Governor Rick Scott - Bill Action

Florida "Open Carry"

To me, it still seems confusing about the Florida "Open Carry" law. Why call it "Open Carry" when it still has to be concealed? They should have called it "the Just in Case my shirt blows up or rides up when I bend over law". I still carry mine the old way, out of sight...out of mind.

JEC
    Quote Originally Posted by Firerider View Post
    To me, it still seems confusing about the Florida "Open Carry" law. Why call it "Open Carry" when it still has to be concealed? They should have called it "the Just in Case my shirt blows up or rides up when I bend over law". I still carry mine the old way, out of sight...out of mind.
    Agreed. Seems like a huge waste of time moving a piece of legislation that should be unnecessary. Just another weak effort at restoring a right you have always had but were not permitted to practice.

my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Firerider View Post
    The "open carry" name was from when the bill was actually an OC bill. The content of the bill was changed. No one named it the open carry bill after the change.

Links