Advantage to open carry?

This is a discussion on Advantage to open carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Harryball So ill leave you with this. We agree to disagree. My words will not change your mind, and yours will not ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Advantage to open carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    So ill leave you with this. We agree to disagree. My words will not change your mind, and yours will not change mine. It is what it is.
    Agreed.

2. Remove Ads

I primarily CC, actually I can count on my hand the number of times I've OC'd. That being said, I fully support and ENCOURAGE open carry. This thread highlights the problem with the gun community. . . we're too easily fractured.

Ever heard the term "divide and conquer"? This is the main reason it's so easy for us to lose rights. . . while I don't own, or even want a .50 BMG rifle, I would never say "there is no reason to own one" as a lot of self-proclaimed gun owners do. As soon as you have a segment of a population turning on another, all the members of that population suffer.

The same follows through with OC/CC. We are all gun owners, opposing OC is no different than a gun owner that is against carry in general. I'm sure everyone here is one or two people away from someone in our circle of friends that owns a pistol or two, but oppose carry in public and keep all their firearms in a safe with all the ammo in a different safe. Any of those people I've encountered are rabidly anti-carry. How do you think those people affect public opinion on our rights?

Just like the "I'm a gun owner, and don't see any use for 30-round pistol magazines" people.
    Last edited by livewire; May 5th, 2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: correction
    Spidey2011 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge {A}Texas is not and has not been (since the wild west days) an open carry state, printing is illegal; {B}opinions are like a smelly body part; everyone has their own.
    I never said Texas was an OC state. All I said is that LEGALLY you are not allowed to carry AT ALL (concealed included) inside many businesses in TX. That's fine if you want to CC but you are taking a potential risk if you get caught.

Advantage to open carry?
    The advantage would be in being able to carry any size handgun without having to make wardrobe adjustments to conceal it. In my opinion that is the only advantage and it is outweighed by the disadvantages.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    The advantage would be in being able to carry any size handgun without having to make wardrobe adjustments to conceal it. In my opinion that is the only advantage and it is outweighed by the disadvantages.
    Well, I might call that the major advantage. I also like OC as I can draw faster, and not have to worry about getting my weapon caught up on my clothing. Also, some of my pistols are just too "purty" to cover up. :) For instance:

As I heard testimony live on the radio, one of the bill's sponsors said that an owner carrying concealed might accidentally show the firearm while reaching for a wallet in a check-out line. This is no longer considered "display" as far as the law is concerned. It can no longer generate a "man with a gun" problem.

I pocket carry .... People have different views on this ..... some say it's legal and others say it's brandashing

VIP Member
    Here's what i hav against open carry. If ur somewhere like a store and a robber comes in, he notices u have a firearm on ur side he either makes the decision to leave or walks on in like any customer pulls his pistol shoots you first because ur an open threat and boom ur deadmeat before you can hit the deck. you have showed ur hand to the bg and he will either do one of the two. You will not get into a mexican standoff with a robber, he will not let u get that far on drawing ur weapon because he wants to live too. It is a fools game that could catch up with you and somebody will say ive been doing it for 40 years with no problem, well i say he's been a darn lucky fellow. Well how do i know this? I was a homicide investigator for 10 years with Charlotte Metro PD which i did a total of 30 years 1 month. We had two to ten shootings on days with usually one or more killed with 24 hour period. Alot of these people shot were mostly gangbangers which we dealt with before. People look different laying on the
    ground with no life in them then they do standing up walking and talking even if you know
    them from dealing with them before in the past. All im saying is be double careful with streetwise criminals, dont underestimate them because death is a final serious business where there is no second place winners. I believe the idea carry is not to show ur hand for all to see since you dont know who's going to be the next actor or when or how it will occur. But what I say is what i do so dont let it or what others say determine what u do. Do as u please since thats what most will do anyway.

It depends on the situation for me. Most people would open carry as a deterant but it doesnt always do so. You always have that one person thats crazy enough to say something out of the way. Usually I OC to support the SA. I have yet to have an issue with the police usually they just discuss things with me like "what kind of gun you got there" etc. They are generally cool about certain things. It seems that if they can see it they are more comfortable with it. I usually CC when im going out late at night or in a public place with my family. Just personal preference.

Check out his other threads..I smell trouble

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I have my serious doubts that concealing a gun makes the fight for 2A rights any easier.

Lets look at how these sides have been laid out to the public. On one side you have the educated, reasonable, caring, community safety oriented anti gunners. In the middle you have the people who don't care. And on the other side are the gun nuts.

Does OC make the anti's more upset, possibly. Does CC make them OK with guns. Nope. So we can not worry about the antis. Does concealing a gun and speaking about CC as something "law abiding citizens do" convince the middle that guns are OK, maybe. Does having them actually see a normal person going about their business armed make them see guns differently, maybe. Personally, I'll go with doing something, OC, to convince folks. I've never thought that CC did much to convince folks on the fence that guns were OK. Because they have no idea how many folks are armed.

It's fascinating how far the pendulum has swung on guns. From good guys OC and bad guys CC. To good guys want to CC, and OC'rs are trouble makers.

In my personal opinion the gun owners of the past are responsible for the state of current gun laws. By not keeping up with what was going on and voicing their opinion. I think gun owners have always been the silent majority. That silence has been costly in many instances. I'm tired of being silent. And if OC'ing is part of breaking that silence, then good.

YMMV, I'm not saying everyone should OC anymore than I think everyone should CC. I'm for the ability of the gun carrier to make that choice.
    ChiefJ I couldn't have said it better myself. and I love your Josh T. signature quote...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Without reading the whole thread, he's my input.

1. It's more comfortable.
    2. Faster draw.
    3. It's never been an issue for me in the times I've open carried, nobody cares or they think you're some sort of LEO.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links