Advantage to open carry?

This is a discussion on Advantage to open carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That me say up front, I'm not trying to bash OC. I am honestly curious why y'all choose to do it. I can see some ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Advantage to open carry?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array BRTCP88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    574

    Advantage to open carry?

    That me say up front, I'm not trying to bash OC. I am honestly curious why y'all choose to do it. I can see some advantages like showing support for the 2nd Amendment, but also some disadvantages like having the cops called on you or dealing with antis.

    So what made you decide to OC instead of CC?

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,064
    There are plenty of threads already on this issue. Here is one off the top of my head.

    The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,067
    In the heat of the West Tennessee summers, mostly it is a comfort and convenience thing. There can be the advantage of not having the clear the cover garment first, and the fact that one does not have to worry if the weapon is covered or not.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,677
    I started before I got my CCP. Once I got my CCP I continued. Partially for the sake of showing my obvious support of the 2A. Sometimes, I just don't want to change holsters. I OC at home and just don't bother to conceal. Or I'm heading to or from hiking or fishing and OCing.

    I have yet to have a really bad experience with a LEO or the general public. And only one bad experience with an Asst Mgr. I have had a lot of great interactions with people explaining what their rights are, where to buy or shoot guns, where to get training, and how to get a CCP.

    I don't play the advantage game. I think they both have their place. And I carry both OC and CC, depending on what I want to do.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

  6. #5
    Ex Member Array William Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    129
    Generally, statements that begin with
    Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    That me say up front, I'm not trying to bash OC...
    usually end up bashing OC. On the off chance that you're serious, and in an effort to be less of a cranksaft (after getting scolded by a few people here), I'll give you my own reasons.

    I open carry mainly because it's easier, and cheaper, to do so. I don't spend any time wondering what shirt I'm going to wear, because I don't care about covereing a gun. I don't have to go to the store to buy a whole new set of shirts and pants, in order to facilitate a concealment holster. And as nice as holsters by Mitch Rosen, or Milt Sparks, or Mernickle may be, I'd rather spend $100 on practice ammo than a piece of leather. Most of the holsters I use cost less than $50. The most expensive one I have is by El Paso, and guess what? It's for concealment. It's also slower to draw from concealment. I carry for self defense, and to defend my family, so I take every advantage I can get. This includes wearing a holster in a way that lets me draw as quickly, and safely, as possible. For me, that's either a Blackhawk SERPA, or a Gould & Goodrich, on my belt, unconcealed. During cold weather, these are as easy to conceal as any other holster under a coat. I don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm one of those "militant" open carriers who'd rather tuck their overcoat behind the butt of their gun when it's -20 degrees, just for the sake of open carry; they're as stupid as people who insist concealed carry has a definitive "tactical advantage", as far as I'm concerned.

    As far as dealing with LEO or antis in the general public, I'm not overly concerned. I know what the law is, I know my rights. Any LEO who decides to make my life difficult in order to impose his own opinions, and violate my rights in the process, will be ignored. I'm not under any obligation to stop and talk to a cop just because he asks me to. And if that cop decides to detain or arrest me, then I'll keep silent until I talk to my lawyer. When I do decide to speak, it'll be to her, and when she decides to speak, it'll be to the Chief of Police, in front of a judge, deciding on what sort of settlement I'd be happy with.

    As far as antis in the public go, I usually ignore them. If they're exceptionally rude, I can be equally rude and offensive. Usually, all it takes is a dirty look to get them to back off. I don't care what people think, for the most part. I've been that way since I was a young lad, when I wore a leather jacket, listened to loud music, and got a tattoo. I still wear a leather jacket, I still like loud music, and I have more tattoos now. Except now i also carry a gun. I still don't care what the average sheep thinks about me, or about anything, really. Come to think of it, I don't care what anyone here thinks, either. I don't carry a gun for any of you. I carry it for me. Pro 2A activists get on my nerves as much as antis do, to tell the truth.
    Axeanda45, Gunner3126 and FTG-05 like this.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array BRTCP88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by William Hill View Post
    Generally, statements that begin with usually end up bashing OC. On the off chance that you're serious, and in an effort to be less of a cranksaft (after getting scolded by a few people here), I'll give you my own reasons.

    I open carry mainly because it's easier, and cheaper, to do so. I don't spend any time wondering what shirt I'm going to wear, because I don't care about covereing a gun. I don't have to go to the store to buy a whole new set of shirts and pants, in order to facilitate a concealment holster. And as nice as holsters by Mitch Rosen, or Milt Sparks, or Mernickle may be, I'd rather spend $100 on practice ammo than a piece of leather. Most of the holsters I use cost less than $50. The most expensive one I have is by El Paso, and guess what? It's for concealment. It's also slower to draw from concealment. I carry for self defense, and to defend my family, so I take every advantage I can get. This includes wearing a holster in a way that lets me draw as quickly, and safely, as possible. For me, that's either a Blackhawk SERPA, or a Gould & Goodrich, on my belt, unconcealed. During cold weather, these are as easy to conceal as any other holster under a coat. I don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm one of those "militant" open carriers who'd rather tuck their overcoat behind the butt of their gun when it's -20 degrees, just for the sake of open carry; they're as stupid as people who insist concealed carry has a definitive "tactical advantage", as far as I'm concerned.

    As far as dealing with LEO or antis in the general public, I'm not overly concerned. I know what the law is, I know my rights. Any LEO who decides to make my life difficult in order to impose his own opinions, and violate my rights in the process, will be ignored. I'm not under any obligation to stop and talk to a cop just because he asks me to. And if that cop decides to detain or arrest me, then I'll keep silent until I talk to my lawyer. When I do decide to speak, it'll be to her, and when she decides to speak, it'll be to the Chief of Police, in front of a judge, deciding on what sort of settlement I'd be happy with.

    As far as antis in the public go, I usually ignore them. If they're exceptionally rude, I can be equally rude and offensive. Usually, all it takes is a dirty look to get them to back off. I don't care what people think, for the most part. I've been that way since I was a young lad, when I wore a leather jacket, listened to loud music, and got a tattoo. I still wear a leather jacket, I still like loud music, and I have more tattoos now. Except now i also carry a gun. I still don't care what the average sheep thinks about me, or about anything, really. Come to think of it, I don't care what anyone here thinks, either. I don't carry a gun for any of you. I carry it for me. Pro 2A activists get on my nerves as much as antis do, to tell the truth.
    Thanks. I was serious. I'm curious about it since FL is (or was, did the bill fail? I lost track) debating allowing open carry. I was trying to figure out whether I would like to OC and also I haven't really been advocating for the FL OC bill cause I was ambivalent about the issue.

  8. #7
    Member Array edlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Thanks. I was serious. I'm curious about it since FL is (or was, did the bill fail? I lost track) debating allowing open carry. I was trying to figure out whether I would like to OC and also I haven't really been advocating for the FL OC bill cause I was ambivalent about the issue.
    It wasn't even given a chance to fail. Just went away without a fight. :(

  9. #8
    Member Array m287452's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    41
    I think open carry, no matter what you and I think, makes non-gun people nervous and the anti's more militant. It brings all the 2nd amendment issues (valid or not) into public view. It makes non-gun people have to pick sides to an issue to which they may not have given much thought. And let's be honest, non-gun people are generally ignorant about firearms, and most of them will pick the anti side because guns make them nervous, regardless of their political views.

    One of the reasons Texas is one of the toughest states to carry (concealed or open) is because many businesses don't allow weapons on premises. And the reason this happened is in large because a lot of well-intentioned people carrying in the open over time has led to people being forced to pick sides.

    In my opinion, I carry for personal protection and I feel no need to advertise it to soccer moms and the cashiers at Wall Mart who are likely to complain and push for anti-gun laws.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by m287452 View Post
    In my opinion, I carry for personal protection and I feel no need to advertise it to soccer moms and the cashiers at Wall Mart who are likely to complain and push for anti-gun laws.
    I have my serious doubts that concealing a gun makes the fight for 2A rights any easier.

    Lets look at how these sides have been laid out to the public. On one side you have the educated, reasonable, caring, community safety oriented anti gunners. In the middle you have the people who don't care. And on the other side are the gun nuts.

    Does OC make the anti's more upset, possibly. Does CC make them OK with guns. Nope. So we can not worry about the antis. Does concealing a gun and speaking about CC as something "law abiding citizens do" convince the middle that guns are OK, maybe. Does having them actually see a normal person going about their business armed make them see guns differently, maybe. Personally, I'll go with doing something, OC, to convince folks. I've never thought that CC did much to convince folks on the fence that guns were OK. Because they have no idea how many folks are armed.

    It's fascinating how far the pendulum has swung on guns. From good guys OC and bad guys CC. To good guys want to CC, and OC'rs are trouble makers.

    In my personal opinion the gun owners of the past are responsible for the state of current gun laws. By not keeping up with what was going on and voicing their opinion. I think gun owners have always been the silent majority. That silence has been costly in many instances. I'm tired of being silent. And if OC'ing is part of breaking that silence, then good.

    YMMV, I'm not saying everyone should OC anymore than I think everyone should CC. I'm for the ability of the gun carrier to make that choice.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array BRTCP88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    It's fascinating how far the pendulum has swung on guns. From good guys OC and bad guys CC. To good guys want to CC, and OC'rs are trouble makers.
    I keep hearing people say that, but I'm pretty sure the good guys have been concealing as long as the bad guys. Yes, open carry used to be more common than it is now, but I believe concealed carry was just as common. Boot daggers have been around since the middle ages and I don't think they were designed for criminals anymore than the so called "Saturday night specials" were.

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,514
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I have my serious doubts that concealing a gun makes the fight for 2A rights any easier.

    Lets look at how these sides have been laid out to the public. On one side you have the educated, reasonable, caring, community safety oriented anti gunners. In the middle you have the people who don't care. And on the other side are the gun nuts.

    Does OC make the anti's more upset, possibly. Does CC make them OK with guns. Nope. So we can not worry about the antis. Does concealing a gun and speaking about CC as something "law abiding citizens do" convince the middle that guns are OK, maybe. Does having them actually see a normal person going about their business armed make them see guns differently, maybe. Personally, I'll go with doing something, OC, to convince folks. I've never thought that CC did much to convince folks on the fence that guns were OK. Because they have no idea how many folks are armed.

    It's fascinating how far the pendulum has swung on guns. From good guys OC and bad guys CC. To good guys want to CC, and OC'rs are trouble makers.

    In my personal opinion the gun owners of the past are responsible for the state of current gun laws. By not keeping up with what was going on and voicing their opinion. I think gun owners have always been the silent majority. That silence has been costly in many instances. I'm tired of being silent. And if OC'ing is part of breaking that silence, then good.

    YMMV, I'm not saying everyone should OC anymore than I think everyone should CC. I'm for the ability of the gun carrier to make that choice.
    I understand your point, but have some questions. Just because it is legal, should someone walk into a ponderosa with an AR on there back? Does this really help our cause? or is it just stupid? I tend to believe that this type of display is dumb, and hurts our cause. Do you agree?
    baren likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I keep hearing people say that, but I'm pretty sure the good guys have been concealing as long as the bad guys. Yes, open carry used to be more common than it is now, but I believe concealed carry was just as common. Boot daggers have been around since the middle ages and I don't think they were designed for criminals anymore than the so called "Saturday night specials" were.
    Well, in NC we have specific case law to this end. I quoted this in another post recently.

    But without any constitutional provision whatever on the subject, can it be doubted that the legislature might by law regulate this right to bear arms--as they do all other rights whether inherent or otherwise--and require it to be exercised in a manner conducive to the peace and safety of the public? This is as far as this statute assumes to go. It does not say that a citizen when beset with danger shall not provide for his security by wearing such arms as may be essential to that end; but simply that if he does do so, he must wear them openly, and so as to be seen by those with whom he may come in contact. The right to wear secret weapons is no more essential to the protection of one man than another, and surely it cannot be supposed that the law intends that an unwary advantage should be taken even of an enemy.

    State v LR Speller

    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I understand your point, but have some questions. Just because it is legal, should someone walk into a ponderosa with an AR on there back? Does this really help our cause? or is it just stupid? I tend to believe that this type of display is dumb, and hurts our cause. Do you agree?
    My issue with OC of longguns in a crowded setting is with muzzle control and trigger protection. The folks that I have seen do this generally carry the longarm unloaded to cover these issues. Not all do, but with some of the rallies and such you will notice the mags are removed. For me, that defeats the purpose of carrying. I guess I don't generally look at whether or not I would do it, I look to see if it's legal. It's legal in NC, I don't personally do it but lots of folks did here. Noticed that the long arms are unloaded, but the pistols are loaded. So, do I think that legally carrying a gun hurts our cause? No, not really.

    Open Carry Restore the Constitution Rally Photos – Greensboro
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

  14. #13
    Ex Member Array William Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I keep hearing people say that, but I'm pretty sure the good guys have been concealing as long as the bad guys. Yes, open carry used to be more common than it is now, but I believe concealed carry was just as common. Boot daggers have been around since the middle ages and I don't think they were designed for criminals anymore than the so called "Saturday night specials" were.
    You'd be wrong. In the past, many towns had laws against concealing guns. If you were "heeled", you had better be sure everyone knew it. People who had a hidden gun in their sleeves were generally seen as scoundrels and brigands, and at best, were not to be trusted. This was true in most places in the mid-west and western territories and states that didn't have bans on carrying guns in towns. Concealed carry, at least back then, was definitely more common among the criminal-minded.

    Saturday Night Specials were designed to cheap, and were made from second rate materials, in essence being a disposable weapon. While they weren't designed for criminals specifically, they were most often used by that element. But what do SNS guns have to do with open carry? Not a whole hell of a lot, aside from the fact that most are small, and easy to conceal. I myself don't make it a habit of open carrying my Raven .25 auto.

  15. #14
    Ex Member Array William Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I understand your point, but have some questions. Just because it is legal, should someone walk into a ponderosa with an AR on there back? Does this really help our cause? or is it just stupid? I tend to believe that this type of display is dumb, and hurts our cause. Do you agree?
    N, I don't agree. I wouldn't carry an AR15 down the street, because it's freaking awkward to do it. It's even more of a pain attempting to sit down at a diner with one. But if someone wants to do it, so what? It's not hurting me.

  16. #15
    Member Array gruntingfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright...
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by m287452 View Post
    One of the reasons Texas is one of the toughest states to carry (concealed or open) is because many businesses don't allow weapons on premises. And the reason this happened is in large because a lot of well-intentioned people carrying in the open over time has led to people being forced to pick sides.
    Texas doesn't allow open carry (yet? Some news on Texas OPEN CARRY)
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

advantage carrying a firearm
,
advantage with open carry
,

advantages of open carry

,

benefits of open carry

,
handgun concealed carry feel nervous
,
holster beretta neos open carry
,
i heard a radio ad about open carry in florida
,
is open carry bad
,

open carry advantages

,

open carry tactical advantage

,
open carry under coat north carolina
,

why open carry is bad

Click on a term to search for related topics.