Some news on Texas OPEN CARRY

This is a discussion on Some news on Texas OPEN CARRY within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; House panel eyes dropping 'concealed' from Texas gun law Associated Press April 28, 2011, 10:45AM AUSTIN — The House Committee on Homeland Security and Public ...

Thread: Some news on Texas OPEN CARRY

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

House panel eyes dropping 'concealed' from Texas gun law
    Associated Press

April 28, 2011, 10:45AM
    AUSTIN — The House Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety wants to take the "concealed" part out of concealed handgun licenses.

The committee voted 5-3 in favor of a bill that would remove the word "concealed" from the law that allows Texans to have a handgun license. The so-called “open carry” law would allow license holders to carry their weapons in plain view wherever they would be allowed to carry a concealed handgun. The rules for getting a license would not change.

Texarkana state Rep. George Lavender authored the bill that was approved Wednesday. In a committee hearing last week, advocates said the law would deter crime. Opponents warned it would create a dangerous and intimidating climate in densely populated cities.

The bill now goes to the full House for consideration.

GM
    That sounds very good. Good luck
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

This would be fine and dandy.

I won't be making use of the ability to open carry however except on my own place or perhaps a deer lease and I've been doing that all my life.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Very promising. Go Texas Open Carry!!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    House panel eyes dropping 'concealed' from Texas gun law
    Associated Press

April 28, 2011, 10:45AM
    AUSTIN — The House Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety wants to take the "concealed" part out of concealed handgun licenses.
    Why does that not strike you as getting rid of the right to conceal carry a handgun? They removed every instance of the word concealed from the statute. When these fools get done with their lousy grammar and chicken scratching of the code, we will be left with a handgun license good only for OC.

The text was posted here in another thread a few weeks back, and only wishful thinking could put the interpretation that this will be only for OC on it. That might be the intent, but it is not the letter of the proposed law.

VIP Member
    Ernie, sorry I started another thread on this. I didn't see yours. Hope the mods merge them, though I think we are interpreting the legislation in 180 degree opposite ways.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Ernie, sorry I started another thread on this. I didn't see yours. Hope the mods merge them, though I think we are interpreting the legislation in 180 degree opposite ways.
    No problem. I just hope we wind up with the option to CC or OC.

So, if I'm reading this right... you would be allowed to open carry BUT NOT ALLOWED to conceal carry any longer ? ? ? I wouldn't like that, I would want the option to go either way ... open or concealed.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    So, if I'm reading this right... you would be allowed to open carry BUT NOT ALLOWED to conceal carry any longer ? ? ? I wouldn't like that, I would want the option to go either way ... open or concealed.
    Its more like no one really knows. There was another thread here somewhere where the text was posted but I can't find it now. Every mention of the word concealed was scratched out from the existing statute.

So, a handgun license gets issued. Fine. That's a license to what? OC? CC? Both.
    The poorly drafted legislation which was posted here certainly didn't make anything clear.

Now I don't know if they fixed anything in the last few weeks. Maybe what passed the House Committee today had cleaner language than the earlier draft. I hope so.

I am just really fearful of a stupidly constructed bill passing that leaves us with a handgun license good only for OC.

(Mods-- I think we have three threads, maybe 4, on the same subject going simultaneously.)

i really despise "lawyer talk'...

I still like the concealed part,but if it passes some of the situations of MWAG calls my friend got jacked on will be a thing of the past.On the other hand,I can make a Bar B Q holster and belt for my 1911
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links