LEO Encounter

This is a discussion on LEO Encounter within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I met the wife at a local restaurant this morning for breakfast. As we were eating, 3 CT State Troopers came in and sat ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: LEO Encounter

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

LEO Encounter

So I met the wife at a local restaurant this morning for breakfast. As we were eating, 3 CT State Troopers came in and sat down at the booth next to us. As the wife and I were leaving, I asked one of them if open carry was legal or illegal in the state. His terse reply was "illegal". I replied "really?", and left it at
    that.

So either he is ignorant of the actual law in the state (very likely), or he is one of those anti's that don't believe citizens should be allowed to carry at all.

I hate this liberal state.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    OR.... they all started laughing after you walked out the door.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Wow. I have always wished I had the ability to decipher all that a person is about/who they really are by a one word reply they make to a question.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    I vote for laughing. So I gather you were not OC'ing at the time? If you were you could have let him see the weapon and had the wife video as he took you down at gunpoint in front of the cash register while screaming your 2nd, 4th, 5th, 23rd and 37th rights were being violated.

But just an opinion
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    yeah, it somewhat sounds like you were fishing for a confrontation. Sorry if that comes off as being rude but I call it how I see it.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    I wouldn't read too much into that, CT-Mike. They are LEO's, not care bears. You may have caught him when he wasn't in the mood to discuss your 2nd amendment rights.
    Old School likes this.

Or, they were annoyed at having their lunch interrupted.

VIP Member
    If you knew the answer, why did you ask? As chris said, it sounds like you were looking for a confrontation.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Apparently, you never watched the video "Never Talk To The Police". Really, why would you go looking for a confrontation with police? It's one thing to be be openly carrying, and have LEO hassle you over legal behavior. It's another to go looking for trouble.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CT May Issue? If so, doesn't that mean your license can be revoked at any time? Good job poking the bear with a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If you knew the answer, why did you ask? As chris said, it sounds like you were looking for a confrontation.
    or he is considering OC and would like to get a feel for the PD reaction in his area before he does. Not saying this should keep anyone from OC but there should be no reason you should not be able to walk up to a police officer and ask a question, even if you know the answer.
    TN_Mike and atctimmy like this.
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

I think the detention was illegal. To stop the officers from carrying on thier business and detain them for no reason is a violation of thier rights....

What if the op were packing OC and the officer stopped and his table and detained him while asking him questions..like..sir can I borrow your ketcup, I'll bet they would have gotten a call to thier supervisor about that rights violations...

It's wrong for the police to be openly carrying, and have public hassle them over legal behavior.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    OR.... they all started laughing after you walked out the door.
    Been there hundreds of times. Nothing is more annoying than somebody testing you and being obvious about it...especially while trying to take a break.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In my experience LEO's have a very unique sarcastic sense of humor. Guess it comes from years of dealing with dirtbags. Rule number 1 is, leave them alone unless you're reporting a crime. They don't need anyone testing their knowledge of the law.
    Old School likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Wow, a lot of people read a lot into my intentions based on a simple question to the trooper. I don't OC, can't carry at work (nuke plant - was on my way home from night shift), and was not looking for a confrontation or to test anyone. There have been several high profile cases here in CT based on OC that are working there way through the courts right now, and I was just wondering what kind of information was being put out to LE in the state.

CT is technically Shall Issue, but you can be deemed unsuitable and have your permit revoked with little or no justification. This is what has happened in a couple of cases, an OC'er having his permit pulled because someone called in a MWAG and he was charged with breach of peace. He then has to go through the appeal process which currently takes about 2 years due to backlog.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I have people ask me CC and OC questions from time to time. It usually seems as if someone wants to start bragging about their carry gun of choice. Then it turns into why the PD should be carrying something else etc... I dont mind chit chat, but those types of conversations are often annoying. No offense! I'm not surprised by the one word uninterested answer. Still tough to judge his meaning without knowing the tone however...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links