The “Do’s” and “Don’ts” of Open Carry Part I - Page 4

The “Do’s” and “Don’ts” of Open Carry Part I

This is a discussion on The “Do’s” and “Don’ts” of Open Carry Part I within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I've had people I'd judge as potential threats turn around and leave just at the sight of my pistol. I didn't have to put ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: The “Do’s” and “Don’ts” of Open Carry Part I

Well, I've had people I'd judge as potential threats turn around and leave just at the sight of my pistol. I didn't have to put my hand on it or anything else. It was just sitting there in it's holster for all the world to see. They saw it, and they saw that I knew they were where they were. They left. This has not happened often, but it has happened more than once.

I once had a "potential threat" approach to within 10 feet, and ask me what I'd do if he came at me. At the time I'd just left a store, and had bags in both hands. My response was "if you force me to drop one or both of my bags to defend myself, it will turn into a bad day for both of us."

Now, there's no guarantee that he would have been so stupid as to ask that question if I'd been carrying concealed. But I have to wonder if he would have just plain attacked me, without asking first, had I been CCing. That is another situation we could "what if" to do death. All I know is, since I've been OCing, I've been in a lot fewer tense situations, or in places where I'd wonder if this was gonna be the day.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    ...In my opinion, an openly carried gun is already introduced in the situation.
    I've grown weary of hearing that line.

If a situation evolves, through no unwarranted action of your own, you did not introduce or involve a weapon in said situation. The other parties merely choose poorly. This is not your fault.

I carry every minuet that I am awake. I proceed with my daily activities as if I did not have that extra 4# of weight on my hip. Likewise I don't go though my daily activities with a chip on my shoulder to match the potential of the weight on my hip.

If a problem is directed at me, I did not introduce the [my] weapon into the problem. I did not escalate the situation by being in possession of a handgun. The other party is the one that may or may not have bitten off more than they can chew.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Like stated in the quote, "my opinion". However, I do believe it to be a fact that you cannot get around, regardless of how weary one may get of hearing it. Over and over, people who OC say" when they saw my gun". That seals the deal. A firearm is present in the mix of things.

None the less, if you carry in the open, weapon retention is a priority.
    Last edited by glockman10mm; May 12th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Like stated in the quote, "my opinion". However, I do believe it to be a fact that you cannot get around, regardless of how weary one may get of hearing it. Over and over, people who OC say" when they saw my gun". That seals the deal. A firearm is present in the mix of things.

None the less, if you carry in the open, weapon retention is a priority.
    The problem is, people don't always see the gun. Many are simply oblivious to it. I even had it happen once when I was working armed security in the Chicago suburbs, 2 drunks who had been causing trouble at the public accommodation business I was working at, had been asked to leave. On the way out, as I'm following them, to insure they did leave, they're talking loudly to each other, "Let's just turn around and beat the crap out of the rent a cop. It's not like he has a gun or anything." I was carrying a .357 magnum on a police type gun belt, along with a night stick, handcuffs and mace. I just said "Excuse me? What do you think this is? (pointing to my holstered revolver) a BB gun?"

They left without another word.

Sometimes, you do have to draw attention to your sidearm for it to be noticed. Specially if you're NOT wearing a security/police uniform.

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    The other parties merely choose poorly. This is not your fault.
    The mere presence of a gun does not mean that they have chose poorly. It might very well mean that you have chosen poorly as they might very well ambush because of the gun.

Happens often if you look at the true empirical data and not the manipulated political agenda data.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    I don't know about Ohio, but here in Michigan, that's grounds for a lawsuit. If the officer's only RAS for throwing you face down is that you're OCing, then he just violated your civil rights.
    I spoke to one of our local Police Officers yesterday. You are correct. He said they have more latitude with Licensed Carry folks than open carry. They are only permitted to talk to the guy to access his state of mind. That's it. No driver's license check, no serial number runs, period. Just make sure he is visually okay and move on. Beyond that, the 4th Ammendment kicks into play.

http://www.topgunsupply.com - Factory Authorized SIG Sauer Parts Distributor, Magazines, Holsters, Night Sights, Firearms

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    OK, I am from NYC and the idea of open carry is foreign to me, but...
    What advantage is gained by letting bad guys know that you are armed?
    Not to mention making a lot of good guys, gals, children, very nervous...

Does this apply to the non-operator as well?

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweatnbullets View Post
    It is not really bold at all! It is common knowledge for those that have studied self defense indepth.

All you have to do is look at one of the most well documented and famous gunfights ever and find out where the bad guys got their weapons. April 11, 1986 Miami FBI shoot out. Platt and Matix got their weapons by targeting people with guns at gun ranges.
    I think generally with some very isolated exceptions like the one you listed, most criminals are looking to prey on the weak and defenseless not armed citizens. There are exceptions to every rule certainly, but criminals typically stay clear of people who are armed and who would be a threat to them. Wolves pray on sheep, not sheepdogs.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I think generally with some very isolated exceptions like the one you listed, most criminals are looking to prey on the weak and defenseless not armed citizens. There are exceptions to every rule certainly, but criminals typically stay clear of people who are armed and who would be a threat to them. Wolves pray on sheep, not sheepdogs.
    Typically.........but obviously not always!

Many of the political activists that tend to come after anyone that is not "all in" (as they interpet it) push "the mere presence of the gun" aspect of open carry. I whole heartedly disagree with that mindset. That is a sheeps mindset, a sheep that is relying on a talisman.

The question is not "Do open carry people get targeted for their guns?" The real question is "do people get targeted for their guns?" The answer to that question has been answered hundreds of thousands of times.

Platt and Matix just happens to be the most famous case of all times.

People can discount this fact, but if they do not understand why the long established self defense community believes what they believe then people that want to enact change will continue to get nowhere. Knowledge is a weapon! I am informing all of the political activist what they are up against. Now they can make the necessary adjustments to further the cause.

The reason that this has been brought up to the top is because it has hit the Suarez International Blog.

Part one can be would here. There are a good number of comments to Part One......and not all of them over the top.

And Part Two can be found here.

If you do open carry use a retention holster at least ! I would do it if I lived in a rural area, not here in a crowded city !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

In any battle, knowledge and surprise provide a tremendous advantage... concealed carry denies your opponent knowledge and leverages surprise.
    Billb1960 likes this.
    "Want to avoid a potentially lethal confrontation? Don't go to stupid places, don't hang out with stupid people, and don't do stupid things."

Surprise is only an offensive weapon and never prevents an attack. So, do you want to play a deadly game of gotcha or avoid the situation with a little deterrence?
    stylus and carracer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NFL5151 View Post
    In any battle, knowledge and surprise provide a tremendous advantage... concealed carry denies your opponent knowledge and leverages surprise.
    Unfortunately, that puts the concealed carrier in the unenviable position of having to try to draw on someone who already has a weapon out.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links