FL House to vote on HB 517 (open carry) tomorrow

This is a discussion on FL House to vote on HB 517 (open carry) tomorrow within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well Floridians....tomorrow is the vote in the House on the open carry bill that passed the Senate last week....

Thread: FL House to vote on HB 517 (open carry) tomorrow

FL House to vote on HB 517 (open carry) tomorrow

Well Floridians....tomorrow is the vote in the House on the open carry bill that passed the Senate last week.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides" - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good luck.

CS/CS/SB 234 - Firearms Did someone try to file an amendment to it again? It says "Engrossed" next to it. Didn't know what engrossed meant so had to look it up "engrossed bill - The official copy of a bill or joint resolution passed by the Senate and certified by the Secretary of the Senate." Reading the engrossed bill submitted it puts open carry back into the bill. Is this a last ditch attempt to get open carry passed by Abruzzo?

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by mill419 View Post
    Well Floridians....tomorrow is the vote in the House on the open carry bill that passed the Senate last week.
    Here in Oklahoma the open carry law almost passed, the senate approved it almost unanimously, after the "everyone 18 years or older" part was taken off the body of the law, since it is in direct opposition of federal regulations of 21 years as minimum age to purchase a gun, ( if you are 18 and want to have lots of guns, join the military).

Anyways what killed the project of law was the director of the OSBI (Oklahoma State bureau of investigations) whose point was:
    In the case of a police officer investigating a possible crime, he would have to worry about a bunch of guns " trying to help" which would directly get in the way of the investigation.
    IMO lots of gun owners feel themselves as "deputized" because they carry a gun openly. In most cases when a LEO finds that to be the case he or she will arrest the open carrier take the gun away for the day and send the guy back home with instructions to retrieve his weapon at a better moment and then continue with the investigation.

Mind you, it doesn't change anything whether open carry passes or not, I'll carry my gun anyways, discreetly, but nobody knows, nobody nobody but you, lol.
    Go with the glow

H read in another thread that the open carry language was removed from the bill by the senate it just kept teh "shall not be prosecuted if inadvertently exposed"

Yeah, it's disappointing that true "open carry" has been removed. However, being exempt from prosecution for inadvertently showing your gun is a step in the right direction.
    I'll take it for now.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides" - Thomas Jefferson

GM
    Following link might help: House Bill 0517 (2011) - The Florida Senate
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Sooooo, I take it the law did NOT pass, but they made it so that we won't get into trouble if our firearm is accidentaly shown? That last link that GM posted about the bill just sounded like Charlie Brown's mom talking, to me anyway. lol

Nevermind, I read the other post.

I would be happy if the inadvertent clause was added to the Texas law. I don't want to open carry. Prosecution for accidental disclosure concerns me.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

GM
    I do not want to post the same thing in two different threads; please see Accidently Showing CCW Not A Crime...., post #14.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

That means "printing" in FLORIDA is legal!

Quote Originally Posted by tbmccord View Post
    I would be happy if the inadvertent clause was added to the Texas law. I don't want to open carry. Prosecution for accidental disclosure concerns me.
    It's already there. The statute states that it's a violation to intentionally fail to conceal.

I posted a big explanation in another thread on accidental reveal but it's not easy for me to find it on my phone. Do a search for "model penal code" and it's in the thread titled "accidentally revealing your gun" or something like that. I made a few posts in that thread that should sum it up for you.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
    Here in Oklahoma the open carry law almost passed, the senate approved it almost unanimously, after the "everyone 18 years or older" part was taken off the body of the law, since it is in direct opposition of federal regulations of 21 years as minimum age to purchase a gun, ( if you are 18 and want to have lots of guns, join the military).
    You are awful free and easy with other people's rights aren't you???????

By the way.....Federal Law allows persons 18 years old to POSSE firearms INCLUDING handguns, you only have to be 21 to PURCHASE a handgun from a federally licensed dealer. Some states like my home Indiana issue CCW at age 18.

Here in Georgia, open carry is now allowed if you have a GWL (Georgia Weapons Carry License), which also allows Concealed Carry, so the "printing" issue has been resolved, here.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
    That's a pretty stupid thing to say, especially considering you don't seem to completely understand the age requirements. It's 21 to purchase a handgun from an FFL but only 18 to possess which means a young person can buy them used or have them gifted.

Links