Arrested Cali OCer trumps LEOs on related 5th Amendment violation

This is a discussion on Arrested Cali OCer trumps LEOs on related 5th Amendment violation within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Civil rights attorney Jason Davis comments on illegal Open Carry arrest - Los Angeles LA | Examiner.com This article concerns an OCer who refused to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Arrested Cali OCer trumps LEOs on related 5th Amendment violation

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Civil rights attorney Jason Davis comments on illegal Open Carry arrest - Los Angeles LA | Examiner.com

This article concerns an OCer who refused to ID himself AFTER the LEOs completed an inspection of his unloaded firearm.

This issue is becoming more and more important given the rash of, what I believe are illegal, inspections taking place at shooting ranges and on federal property.

The Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office agreed to drop all charges against “open carrier” Ryan Burbridge...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

No one ever questions people's rights, until they try to exercise them.
    William Hill likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    No one ever questions people's rights, until they try to exercise them.
    You can have your rights, as long as you do what I say.
    William Hill and MKEgal like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    The Constitution of the United States of America
    ~Void Where Prohibited By Law~
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    ooh...that's good. I need to put that on a tshirt
    Spec and bwalker25 like this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    This issue has been settled by the Hiibel case. The SCOTUS decided that statutes requiring a person to identify himself to a peace officer were not a Fourth Amendment violation. The court also found that refusing to identify oneself based upon the Fifth Amendment had its limitations:

“In this case petitioner’s refusal to disclose his name was not based on any articulated real and appreciable fear that his name would be used to incriminate him.... As best we can tell, petitioner refused to identify himself only because he thought his name was none of the officer’s business.″ — 542 U.S. 177, at 190
    That is the bottom line law of the land. States are free to raise the bar higher, but what might fly in one state may not necessarily fly in another.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Just finished driving to a university for commencement and graduation ceremonies. I would like to expound upon my earlier comment.

IIRC, the rights of the police under Hiibel are connected to their right to investigatory stops under Terry. In other words the police cannot simply walk up to you willy nilly and ask for "your papers." (Heck, absent things like driving and traveling by plane, I don't think you are even required to have papers.) There has to be some valid, articulable reason why they have approached you to begin with if they want to move into the requirement for identification stage.

In the instant case, the subject had already had his weapon examined. Once it was found to be unloaded it becomes more difficult for an officer to maintain probable cause that potential criminal activity needs to be investigated. However, the circumstances of the encouner could change that. If the subject had been observed to be engaged in activity that appeared to be casing a joint, then perhaps the right to investigate would continue beyond the weapon examination. Heck I believe an officer could probably articulate taking possession of that firearm for the rest of the stop.

Suppose the subject had tear drop tattoos at the corner of each eye? Even after weapon examination the officer might be able to articulate further investigation. Could he articulate that tear drops on the corner of an eye are indicia of having done prison time? If so would it be reasonable for an officer to assume that the person before him could be a convicted felon, and thus a prohibited person from possession of any firearm? These types of things adding up could give an officer the right to demand a name, and upon not receiving it, take a person in for further investigation, and have the courts consider it a valid detention in accordance with applicable laws even after the firearm has been examined.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There is a huge difference between identifying yourself and providing identification. If I say my name is OldVet, I've identified myself. No one is required to possess identification anywhere in this country that I know of. This is NOT Gestapoland (yet) and there is no requirement to produce :papers" (yet). Yes, if you are driving you must have a drivers license in your possession (a condition of the "privilege" of driving). If you are carrying CC, in most states your are required to have that license and/or identification on hand and to produce such on demand by an LEO.

Therefore, does CA law require anyone carrying the "empty" OC to have ID on them? IIs there any CA law stating that all citizens must carry ID at all times? I believe the SC shot that down a few years back. If not, than the gentleman should have simply told the LEOs his name and that should have been the end of it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    when you do will you send me one?
    dukalmighty likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers
    Suppose the subject had tear drop tattoos at the corner of each eye? Even after weapon examination the officer might be able to articulate further investigation. Could he articulate that tear drops on the corner of an eye are indicia of having done prison time?
    I thought 'tears' were gangland for having killed someone. Hypocrites.
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male." R. Kipling

Defense fund donations gratefully accepted here (PayPal link).

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Maybe they should use that one in those California tourism commercials that won't include Arnold anymore...
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I thought 'tears' were gangland for having killed someone. Hypocrites.
    Depends, can mean they killed someone, or spent time in jail, or lost a friend/family member.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post

They're available here

Sweeping law enforcement reform is needed. It won't happen though.

It might have been easier to just comply with the identification request, and then file complaints about the LEO with everyone and their mother later. I'm not saying not complying was wrong, though.. I admit that I have denied similar "requests" before.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links