Carrying long-guns in Texas

This is a discussion on Carrying long-guns in Texas within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cbp210 I carry my AR15 or my AR10 rifle when patrolling my property in Liberty County, TX and also carry in nearby ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Carrying long-guns in Texas

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    I carry my AR15 or my AR10 rifle when patrolling my property in Liberty County, TX and also carry in nearby rural public lands. I bought my property for the sole purpose of trapping but found that there are signs of trespassing and also drug activity in nearby lands that I make it a rule to have these rifles handy.
    ...as you should

as for the OP question.....its already been answered well enough
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

It all depends on who you are and sometimes what color you are. A few yrs ago the so called new black panthers marched downtown with ARs and AKs. They even butt stroked a white guy. No one was charged, no one ws even detained. All of this was caught on news cameras. This happened in Houston.

There are a number of perfectly good reasons for carrying a long gun while walking.
    I have carried openly many times when taking a firearm to a shop. To a range down the street from where I parked. Even when walking to the out skirts of town to do some shooting.

When I was a kid we would strap rifles to our backs and ride our bikes to the river. Later on we carried them down the highways on motorcycles. I am in Okla so our laws are a bit different. Here we can carry a firearm to and from hunting or target practice. Some of us do it on foot.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by pnino840 View Post
    why should i care if it makes people and cops nervous? im carrying my weapon to make me feel secure. if you dont like that, move to california. move to canada. i have the right to carry my gun and protect myself and family. ive seen what happens on the streets of houston first hand, and its not pretty. i dont have a ccl yet but i plan on getting one very soon. until that day and maybe even after, i will still carry my 12 gauge in my car and on the street, if i see fit to do so. no cop will stop that.
    He might not stop you from carrying it, but he can make your naive life very miserable while he legally checks every aspect of it while you sit and fume about your "rights."

BTW punctuation and capital letters are your friends (and it's CHL in Texas).
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Old fashioned common sense can apply here.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Actually, you CAN'T carry an assault weapon either on your back, slung over your shoulder or on top of your head if you aren't a law enforcement officer or military personnel. Quite frankly, I don't think you could even get an assault weapon legally if you didn't have all of the proper paperwork, in order and on your person.

Now you COULD carry a semi-automatic weapon in such a manner, though you might be open to questions depending on how you carried it. I suppose the most serious question would be why you might want to carry one on your head. I didn't do that, even when I was with the Sheriff's Office OR during my 22 year Marine Corps career.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    He might not stop you from carrying it, but he can make your naive life very miserable while he legally checks every aspect of it while you sit and fume about your "rights."

BTW punctuation and capital letters are your friends (and it's CHL in Texas).
    A BIG DITTO for this one!

He's right, of course, it may be his 'right', but it's also his 'right' to use a little common sense. A very HUGE bit of common COURTESY to the LEO would be a plus as well.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    It all depends on who you are and sometimes what color you are. A few yrs ago the so called new black panthers marched downtown with ARs and AKs. They even butt stroked a white guy. No one was charged, no one ws even detained. All of this was caught on news cameras. This happened in Houston.
    That's the sadness of timidity in the face of political correctness.

As a kid growing up, we often carried our .22s to school and stacked them in the corner so we could bag some squirrels on the way home. We may have had a few knuckle dusters on the playground, but NOBODY would have ever thought of settling disputes with a firearm................................ Fast forward.................

I can say for certain, in the small city where I grew up, you could parade all day with the proper permits and even carry rifles so long as they conformed to legal requirements. Didn't matter who you were or what color you were, or your political affiliation.

BUT! You butt stroke anyone, of whatever color or political persuasion and you'd be proned out in quick fashion by LEOs on the scene or some old WWII/Korea vet or BOTH because they took offense at your obnoxious behavior.

Just one of the things I love about Texas.

Where did this happen, ranburr? Had any more incidents like it?

Semper Fi
    garyacman likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links