Carrying long-guns in Texas

This is a discussion on Carrying long-guns in Texas within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry if this has been asked before. I couldn't find anything directly addressing it. I recently took the CHL class in Texas and one of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Carrying long-guns in Texas

Carrying long-guns in Texas

Sorry if this has been asked before. I couldn't find anything directly addressing it.

I recently took the CHL class in Texas and one of the things I learned is that there are almost no restrictions on long-guns here. Yet, I remember several years ago driving down the street near the Mall and there were two young men walking down the side of the busy 6-lane street carrying rifles (or maybe shotguns) literally in their hands. I came back by around 30 minutes later going back home and saw the same 2 guys surrounded by 3 cop cars and they were sitting on the ground talking with the cops. I never heard or saw anything else about it.

But that got me thinking.. Obviously these guys were probably breaking some kind of law because they were holding the guns in their hands and that could certainly be viewed in a threatening manner.

But. What if a person were to walk down the street with an assault rifle strapped to their back? In this case it would be hard to say he was holding the gun in a threatening manner. What do you think would happen? What if they were dressed in a manner that looked very much like a military outfit, and the weapon being carried looked like something you'd expect to see used in the military. Think anyone would notice or care?

I don't have any plans to do this. I don't even own a long-gun of any kind. I'm just insanely curious at this point.

2. Remove Ads

Would such activity cause a reasonable man to be suspicious? There's your answer.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Please let me know the out come. O--O

From what I read on Tx gun laws states "It is unlawful to carry a gun in a public place in such a way as to cause alarm",if you are carrying an uncased long gun in a public place where most people normally wouldn't such as in the middle of the city,I would think most people would be alarmed,carrying a long gun in a vehicle is totally different,there are lots of ranchers by the border that don't step outta their house without a long gun
    garyacman likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's always been acceptable to have a long gun in a vehicle, and if walking it has to in some sort of case. That's what I remember from the academy in San Antonio.

In Texas it is under the "Breach of the Peace" statue's, a "Disorderly Conduct" area if the "Deadly Weapon"(gun or other weapon) is displayed in a manner calculated to cause alarm to the public. In a rural area it isn't uncommon because people hunt regularly and carry long guns frequently, in a city it will most definitely cause alarm, otherwise the police would not have been called in the first place. Inside vehicles there are no restrictions on long guns.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT

(a)(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;
    (d) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor unless committed under Subsection (a)(7) or (a)(8), in which event it is a Class B misdemeanor.
    Depending on where you are, it might or might not be an offense to simply carry a long gun in hand. The interpretation of "calculated to alarm" would be the key thing.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

It is my understanding that it is perfectly legal to carry a long gun (in Houston at least).....I am not saying one would not be stopped & questioned (I can pretty much guarrantee you would), but that it is legal.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

It's just not a good idea even if you can legally do it. MWAG calls are gonna flood 911 and the LEO isn't gonna be too happy he is having to deal with that kind of tom foolery. Heck in Texas you can carry your shotgun in the bar with ya. I wouldn't recommend anyone try it but you could do it. 51% rule applys to handguns tho.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

why should i care if it makes people and cops nervous? im carrying my weapon to make me feel secure. if you dont like that, move to california. move to canada. i have the right to carry my gun and protect myself and family. ive seen what happens on the streets of houston first hand, and its not pretty. i dont have a ccl yet but i plan on getting one very soon. until that day and maybe even after, i will still carry my 12 gauge in my car and on the street, if i see fit to do so. no cop will stop that.

Okay.. Here is a new twist on this. Has anyone seen this video (or this gun):

It is the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 and it folds in half. It is considered a Rifle by Kel-Tec. I assume the law considers it a "long gun?" This thing could easily be stored inside a jacket, or a large purse, or other carry bag. Since it is a long gun, I believe you could carry this thing around even if you did not have a concealed carry license.

I've thought about buying one of these, they are only about $400. Not that I would carry it around with me, as I have a CHL. But it would still be a pretty cool gun to have.

Ok, besides the fact that guy is a moron.

Yes the Sub 2000 is a neat gun. 9mm with Glock 18 mags are fun as heck to shoot. Although you can go through a lot of rounds in a hurry when you have multiple 33 rd mags. With 4 G18 mags and a G17 or G19 mag in the gun, 150 rds easily fit into the case that Keltec offers for the Sub 2000.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    The thing that made the 2 guys in your story fit the Disorderly Conduct statute was they were carrying the rifles in their hands. Had they had the rifles slung over their shoulder using a sling, they wouldn't be carrying them in an alarming manner. With the rifles in their hands they are in more of a ready to shoot position, than just just transporting the rifle on foot. There may be city ordinances against doing it, but those only access fines.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

This discussion reminded me of a man on a motorcycle that had a shotgun slung over his back riding down the freeway here locally many years ago. He wasn't doing anything illegally, he was just passing through town and most people probably wouldn't have even took notice. Unfortunately, he just picked the wrong time to becoming through my home town this particular day. President Reagan happened to be in town that day and the local cops swarmed him and had him prone on the ground as I passed him.

What was really interesting to me was that I was even allowed to be on the freeway at that particular time of day. I noticed when I got on the freeway that there were local cops at every on ramp blocking traffic. And I along with one or two other cars, and this motorcycle rider were the only ones on the freeway at that particular time. As I passed the cops and motorcycle, I first heard and then saw a state DPS and one military helicopter circling overhead. I then looked in the rearview mirror and saw the motorcade coming up behind. Needless to say I pulled over and let them pass!

I later found out the guy was from out of town passing through and didn't know anything about the President being in town. I had forgot about it until I looked in the rearview mirror and the light bulb came on.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

I carry my AR15 or my AR10 rifle when patrolling my property in Liberty County, TX and also carry in nearby rural public lands. I bought my property for the sole purpose of trapping but found that there are signs of trespassing and also drug activity in nearby lands that I make it a rule to have these rifles handy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links