open carry craigslist encounters?

This is a discussion on open carry craigslist encounters? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a topic to get your brains working. This is something I've thought about for a while but have been to afraid to try. Let ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: open carry craigslist encounters?

open carry craigslist encounters?

Here's a topic to get your brains working. This is something I've thought about for a while but have been to afraid to try. Let me explain the situation first:

I run a computer business from my home. I refurbish computers. I sell mostly on eBay, but sometimes when I have a lot of stock I will also put up a few ads on Craigslist and have people come to my home to look at and buy the computers.

Most of you have probably heard of some of the dangers of doing business on Craigslist. My fear is heightened because I have people come into my home and they see hundreds, sometimes thousands of laptop computers around. I've certainly had some creepy people come over and I have wondered how many of them have thought about coming back "after hours" and helping themselves.

I ALWAYS have my Glock 19 concealed when people come over. But I have thought about wearing it openly. Obviously this is perfectly legal in my own home. The reason I haven't done so is that I'm afraid I would really scare people who are coming over. After all, when dealing on Craigslist, my customer has just as much to be concerned about as I do as a seller. So I am not sure what would happen if saw me answer the door with a holstered Glock 19 visible on my hip.

Obviously I'd like to send the message that if you try to rob me, there will be consequences. But on the same token, I don't want to scare people or lose business. I do have security cameras around the house that are visible. But I'm not sure how much of a deterrent that is.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Remove Ads

Any possibility of isolating the items to be sold from your general inventory. Now see, no desire to steal.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

You always want to have the advantage, showing your hand aka open carry takes that advantage away. I say keep it concealed and keep vigilant. If you want to send a message get a rotty or a sheperd that gets locked up when they are over, dogs are the best deterrent available short of an armed guard.
    oneshot, Snider and Chad Rogers like this.

If it were me, I would rent a booth at a flea market or something. I'm just not keen on the idea of selling stuff from my house to people I don't know. Likewise I'm not keen on your idea of carrying openly. Most thieves are going to try and burglarize the place when you aren't there. They come by first to see what kind of stuff you have and check for dogs and alarm systems. They do the same thing at garage sales and yard sales. Showing them your gun tells them they might also be able to pick up some firearms when they steal the computers.
    msgt/ret likes this.

adric22 in the past when selling our "old" laptops we have used public free wifi spots (mcdonalds, some bbok stores ect)for the buyer to check the cpu out.
    I am not sure I would open carry for the same reasons you mentioned but I would make sure the clothing I wore printed my weapon are "accidentally" have my shiry ride up just enough for my carry to be visible for a second.
    TN_Mike and Rock and Glock like this.

I personally do not invite people from Craigslist to the house. Guns or not, I am not always there to protect my "stuff". Personally, I think you are asking for trouble.
    tkruf and TN_Mike like this.

I wouldn't invite anyone from craigslist to my home, I've met some real creeps off of craigslist. With that said, if you must have them to your home I would not open carry. It's not going to deter anyone all it's going to do is let them know you have laptops AND guns to steal. No one plans to break in to a house when your home unless you are what they are after.

Do what my Mom always told me to do...Keep it in your pants or your asking for trouble.
    cj, smolck and Chad Rogers like this.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    why on earth would you ever have strangers into your home in the first place? Start meeting them at the front door if you must but for goodness sake stop letting them inside.
    oneshot and TN_Mike like this.

Leave it concealed, my .02 cents.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Assuming that;
    a) you can't manage that kind of inventory flow by meeting away from your home for deals constantly, and
    b) you don't really have the option to split out the inventory for each deal you cut into a different room

I agree with previous posters that a serious dog would be smart, but I'd also make a very prominent set of well-labeled "24/7 CCTV" recording cameras. Set one in the room with your inventory covering the incoming doorway, one in the driveway etc. That will deter a lot of folks from risking anything. You could post a traditional "we don't dial 911!" signs for good measure, which is a nice way to state that you are armed but not actually showing the gun. I've noticed that in person, guns are either alluring or frightening to folks (steal it or fear it, seem to be the common reactions). The statement of a sign isn't quite either one, and a nice middle ground.

That being said, I've bought and sold tens of thousands of dollars of stuff on CL over the past decade, and never had an incident. Only once have I invited someone into my home, for a heavy item. I've been out to buy and check out items in countless homes/garages. Not once have I felt uncomfortable, and I was never carrying (I'm new to this). I've specifically brought along a terrifying friend any time I had to carry more than $200 in cash for a deal, and that makes me a bit more comfortable for sure. I have a nice long list of friends that are frankly terrifying at first glance, and it's handy to bring them along for the emotional impact on sellers, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    You could post a traditional "we don't dial 911!" signs for good measure
    I wish they made a "I only call 911 after I shoot you" signs.

All my CL transactions are done at a public and busy parking lot of a strip mall.

When I contact a seller, I offer a mid point to meet (between our respective locations), and if they insist on my coming over to their house, I advise them that they really should meet at a neutral public place.

I CC for all transactions.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    You always want to have the advantage, showing your hand aka open carry takes that advantage away. I say keep it concealed and keep vigilant. If you want to send a message get a rotty or a sheperd that gets locked up when they are over, dogs are the best deterrent available short of an armed guard.
    What good are they locked up?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

I appreciate all of the responses. For those who seem to think my problem is that I should be meeting outside of the home, you probably have not dealt with my issue. When I post up an ad on craigslist (I have very good deals) I typically have 20 or 30 people a day call me. Granted, only 5 to 10 people will actually show up, and it is hard to say exactly when they will show up. I can't spend all day down the street at Starbucks waiting around for people who randomly show up or never show up at all. I have work to do.

For those people who think I should not let them see all of the computers. Well, that thought has occurred to me as well. Unfortunately, I simply have too many and not enough places to put them. Not only that, but often I advertise multiple models and people will want to examine each kind to see what the differences are.

And for those people who say I just shouldn't deal on Craigslist (including some of my family members) - unfortunately the money and ease of doing business is too alluring. Every time I sell a laptop on eBay it costs me an extra $30 to $40 in fees per computer, plus the labor of packing it up and shipping it, plus extra labor in case of returns. When dealing on Craigslist I can make more money, get paid in cash, plus it is easier to warranty local customers. I've tried flea markets, wasting entire weekends just sitting around without selling anything at all. So they are a waste of my time. I've been doing business on Craigslist for 3 years and I've sold hundreds, maybe thousands (I've lost track) of computers on there. So far nobody has caused a problem but I figure it is just a matter of time.

Snider's idea for a sign is actually not a bad idea. I've also come across signs before saying things like "This home protected by Smith & Wesson" So I might look into something similar to that for my front door. Maybe that with a combination of another sign warning about video surveillance (in case the dumb crook didn't see the cameras on the way in) Heck, maybe even a T-shirt that suggests I'm into guns or something. I'll look into those.

I know this is off topic but I'm in the market for a decent laptop, if you've got a good deal for a fellow DC member PM me!

I don't live close by you so I won't have to bring my creepy self to your house
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links