California Assembly Declares that Open Carry is Unnecessary for Buying a Cheeseburger

This is a discussion on California Assembly Declares that Open Carry is Unnecessary for Buying a Cheeseburger within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to know when the people will say the California Assembly is no longer relevant....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: California Assembly Declares that Open Carry is Unnecessary for Buying a Cheeseburger

I want to know when the people will say the California Assembly is no longer relevant.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

I'm still waiting for the big one that breaks Kommiefornia off and lets it float out in the middle of the ocean.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |
    | NC CHP Instructor | NRA Pistol Instructor |

...openly displaying handguns can startle onlookers, scare children, and incite violence. They said that it sparks phone calls requiring police to monitor the situation, thus wasting valuable law enforcement resources.
    In reverse order: police can drive by, see that there's nothing illegal going on, nothing violent happening (someone eating lunch, or shoppping), and drive away. Or the calltaker can ask some questions (what is the person doing? is the gun in a holster or in hand?) and advise the caller that OC is legal.

These are videos I've taken at various stores & a bank here in Milwaukee. Unless CA people are very very different (yeah, I know - don't go there) I can't imagine that the response would be much different. In short, nothing happens. A few customers in one store smile, but that's pretty much it.

In a bank.
    At a grocery.
    At a home improvement store.
    Same chain, different store.
    Feel free to share, esp. w/ emails to legislators who are buying into the "people will run screaming in fear" malarky.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorena Beltran of Bakersfield
    I think the law is a good idea... I would not feel safe to see people openly carrying guns, as I would have no way of knowing if they were loaded or not, nor if the people carrying them had a permit to do so.
    So knowing that there are random criminals around her who are currently illegally carrying concealed, loaded guns would probably send her into catatonia.

-
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male." R. Kipling

Defense fund donations gratefully accepted here (PayPal link).

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I am sure all of those future parolees will abide by all of California's firearm laws.

Well, I'm sure glad that California has never had a shooting incident take place at a fast food establishment or a restaurant. That's really surprising being as large a State as they are. Oh, I forgot, they don't allow guns!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    You can thank all the well meaning open carry "activists" for this piece of legislation. Over the last couple of years the "activists" decided it was time to raise public awareness of open carry in California and held rallys here and there at high profile locations. They did achieve their goal of raising public awareness but look at the result.
    On a related note, believe it or not, it is possible to get a CCW in the state of California and once granted, there are very few carry restrictions as the general public and most politicians don't have groups of people rubbing their nose in it. You get your permit, shut up about it and hope another CCW holder doesn't do something stupid that will draw media attention. It's not a ideal situation but for now it's what works here.
    Folks need to learn to pick their battles and right now with Governor Moonbeam (AKA Jerry Brown) and the liberals controlling everything it was kind of foolish to push the open carry agenda.

Oh...and before anybody says it.....Yea I know, protests and standing up for what's right is the American way....just sayin...make sure you have at least a slim chance of success before you go "all in".
    Been my point on the subject for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    On a related note, believe it or not, it is possible to get a CCW in the state of California and once granted, there are very few carry restrictions as the general public and most politicians don't have groups of people rubbing their nose in it.
    If California were shall-issue there wouldn't be so much agitation for open carry. Since it's functionally "buddies with the sheriff issue" for most of the population of course open carry is a hot button issue for gunowners.

Once of the interesting things about California is it has the most liberal carry rules in the nation if you have a concealed carry permit. K-12 schools, colleges, day care centers, and churches are all good. If handgunlaw.us is to be believed, even courthouses (so long as you aren't a party to the suit) or prison grounds (outside the secured areas) are not per se illegal places to carry. If California is forced into shall-issue concealed carry, I would look for that to change radically.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    This is an amazing story. The California State Supreme Court has ordered the state to release over 40,000 felons from prison immediately, saying that overcrowding in the prison system is inhumane and illegal.

How could the largest state in our country become so back-ass-ward? The court ruled that the rights of the criminals trumped the right of the state to protect the public.

Has the world turned upside down? I should go look outside and check.

Straw Man. Cheeseburgers have nothing to do with self-defense.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's still perfectly legal to enter McDonalds wielding a Claymore in California. So simply using the reason that "firearms may be unsafe and/or cause panic" is moronic.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjodr View Post
    Straw Man. Cheeseburgers have nothing to do with self-defense.

Here is an interesting video news report on the legislation. In includes coverage of Assemblyman Anthony Portantino making his cheeseburger remark to the press. Just look at this man, and tell me that he is not an idiot.

Lawmakers push to outlaw carrying guns in public | Video | abc7news.com

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Here is an interesting video news report on the legislation. In includes coverage of Assemblyman Anthony Portantino making his cheeseburger remark to the press. Just look at this man, and tell me that he is not an idiot.

That police chief, Ken James, wasn't very bright either. There is much more of a threat from loaded weapons being carried concealed by criminals, than unloaded guns being carried openly by law-abiding citizens.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

Anyone mind educating me as to some of these states that allow open carry but that the weapon can't be loaded? I don't understand the rationale.
    "An armed man is a citizen. A disarmed man is a subject."
    Anon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post

sorry, can't tell you that
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

The people of CA have no one to blame but the people of CA. They're the ones who vote on who makes their laws, they're the ones that vote in judges, they're the ones that create the environment they live in, so they can go and slide off of a continental shelf, for all I care. You'll find no sympathy on this coast.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links