California Assembly Declares that Open Carry is Unnecessary for Buying a Cheeseburger

California Assembly Declares that Open Carry is Unnecessary for Buying a Cheeseburger

This is a discussion on California Assembly Declares that Open Carry is Unnecessary for Buying a Cheeseburger within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The days that gun owners in California can openly carry unloaded handguns in public in incorporated cities are numbered. Assembly Bill 144 easily past the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: California Assembly Declares that Open Carry is Unnecessary for Buying a Cheeseburger

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

The days that gun owners in California can openly carry unloaded handguns in public in incorporated cities are numbered. Assembly Bill 144 easily past the California State Assembly this week, by a partisan vote of 46-29, without any Republican support. Approval by both the state senate and Governor "Moonbeam" Jerry Brown is expected by sometime this summer. Last year, Republicans in the Assembly were able to delay the same bill, as the legislative session then ended before a vote could be held. This year, Democrats made sure that the priority for the bill was greater, so that a vote was taken much sooner this year.

The primary sponsor of the legislation, Democratic Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, said these words on the floor of the assembly, in his final arguments for passing the bill:

"You don't need a handgun to order a cheeseburger. You don't need a handgun to order a cup of coffee."

NOTE: California had already banned the practice of carrying loaded handguns in public. This bill now extends the law to ban unloaded handguns as well. The bill does not ban the practice of carrying an unloaded rifle or shotgun in public. These can still be carried in public.

Other supporters of AB 144 argued that openly displaying handguns can startle onlookers, scare children, and incite violence. They said that it sparks phone calls requiring police to monitor the situation, thus wasting valuable law enforcement resources.

Here is a link to a news article about this, if you would like to get the full story:

Assembly passes crackdown on carrying unloaded handguns in public - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee

VIP Member
    nope, don't need a gun to go get a cheeseburger....but I dang sure need it when a guy comes in with a gun to take my money I'm trying to use to buy the cheeseburger

morons.....absolute morons
    guardmt and oneshot like this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Well then, we should also require police officers to disarm when going into a donut shop...I'm just sayin'...
    Why anyone would continue living in CA is beyond my rational thinking. These kommiefornia legislators are absolute 'fruit loops'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"...openly displaying handguns can startle onlookers, scare children, and incite violence. They said that it sparks phone calls requiring police to monitor the situation, thus wasting valuable law enforcement resources."

I can see this happening if the people are a bunch of sheep, which these legislators in CA appear to think about the People. After all, sheep need the government to control everything, and are so easily spooked.

I agree with retsupt99. Heck, to go a bit further, maybe it's mostly sheep who continue to live in CA..."shear me, shear me, shear me Please"... I feel for those poor souls who don't have a choice but to live there.
    The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the situation. The second rule is Train and Prepare.

TVJ
    Yet another beautiful day in the People's Republic Paradise....................

There are very few things in life that cause me an automatic and prolonged apoplexy.

CA logic surrounding sidearm limitations is one.

Translation from Pinger quote above:

"...openly displaying (Stupidity) can startle onlookers, scare children, and incite violence. They said that (Stupidity) sparks phone calls requiring police to monitor the situation, thus wasting valuable law enforcement resources."
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

You can thank all the well meaning open carry "activists" for this piece of legislation. Over the last couple of years the "activists" decided it was time to raise public awareness of open carry in California and held rallys here and there at high profile locations. They did achieve their goal of raising public awareness but look at the result.
    On a related note, believe it or not, it is possible to get a CCW in the state of California and once granted, there are very few carry restrictions as the general public and most politicians don't have groups of people rubbing their nose in it. You get your permit, shut up about it and hope another CCW holder doesn't do something stupid that will draw media attention. It's not a ideal situation but for now it's what works here.
    Folks need to learn to pick their battles and right now with Governor Moonbeam (AKA Jerry Brown) and the liberals controlling everything it was kind of foolish to push the open carry agenda.

Oh...and before anybody says it.....Yea I know, protests and standing up for what's right is the American way....just sayin...make sure you have at least a slim chance of success before you go "all in".
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    "You don't need a handgun to order a cheeseburger. You don't need a handgun to order a cup of coffee."

Hearing that sort of lunacy just depresses me. It is a subjective statement, devoid of logic, that would not past muster in a high school debate class. Until he gets mugged, that politician will continue his mindless wander thru fantasy land, and enacting law that reflects his delusion.

I walk a fine line between helping those I can and not throwing my pearls before swine. It seems I'm helping less and less these days...
    DaRedneck and lefty13 like this.

VIP Member
    Supporters countered that openly displaying handguns can startle onlookers, scare children and provoke violence, and that it sparks phone calls requiring police to monitor the situation, thus wasting valuable resources in a year of layoffs and cutbacks.
    I have never understood the mentality (or lack thereof) of sheeple. A firearm carried by an LEO is perfectly benign and incites no fear reaction, yet place the same firearm in the hands of a law abiding citizen and it suddenly develops a mystical power to create terror in the minds of sheeple.
    lefty13 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    That's what happens when you scare the "muppets". Honestly, I don't feel sorry for them...when you keep electing the same "cockeyed" thinking politicians over and over again, you deserve to reap the harvest of the seeds planted.
    archer51 likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post

Oh...and before anybody says it.....Yea I know, protests and standing up for what's right is the American way....just sayin...make sure you have at least a slim chance of success before you go "all in".
    Everyone, Everywhere at All times is All in - in regards to their personal responsibility for their safety - whether or not they consciously choose believe/act on it.

I use the Big Words intentionally.

I feel for you living in CA.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Supporters countered that openly displaying handguns can startle onlookers, scare children and provoke violence, and that it sparks phone calls requiring police to monitor the situation, thus wasting valuable resources in a year of layoffs and cutbacks.
    I have never understood the mentality (or lack thereof) of sheeple. A firearm carried by an LEO is perfectly benign and incites no fear reaction, yet place the same firearm in the hands of a law abiding citizen and it suddenly develops a mystical power to create terror in the minds of sheeple.
    yeah, amazing isn't it

and whats more startling, more scary to children or provokes more violence, or for that matter sparks more phone calls to police: 1) law-abiding citizen carrying a gun, making no threatening statements/gestures, OR 2)a dirtbag busting into McDonalds robbing the place full of kids and their parents

me...I'd rather see people OC around me than to have dirtbags busting in stores GUNS DRAWN yelling for people to get down or be killed, or firing shots to make a dramatic entrance

think on that logic legislators!!!!!!
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Rotoblade, as an Ex-Mexifornia if a person could get a permit to conceal carry in Mexifornia then there wouldn't be all the law suits and these activities with the open carry meetings at Starbucks! I think there was an LE in the Bay area who stated, "he would get a two weeks with pay vacation if he every came across a open carry person!". The latest conceal carry law suit ruling, Yolo County, was ruled on Tuesday and the judge refused to take action due to the fact Mexifornia law stated you could open carry! Well I guess the judge didn't understand the new law!

For those with any heartburn over the use of "Mexifornia", read the book by the same title. You can get it on Amazon.com, it was written by a Cal State Professor.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    I guess they have enough LE to take care of all of their crime down there...or to protect people from their 'fellow' citizens as needed.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

California politics SUCK.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    On a related note, believe it or not, it is possible to get a CCW in the state of California and once granted, there are very few carry restrictions as the general public and most politicians don't have groups of people rubbing their nose in it. You get your permit, shut up about it and hope another CCW holder doesn't do something stupid that will draw media attention. It's not a ideal situation but for now it's what works here.

Well, it is POSSIBLE, but not at all PROBABLE.

The Sheriffs of all the high population counties simply will not grant them. Period. It is entirely up to the Sheriff's discretion in California.

If one can move to one of the rural counties with a gun friendly Sheriff, then by all means do that. Of course, not everyone in California can do that, due to jobs or family obligations.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links