Philadelphia Police Say They Won't Look the Other Way on Open-Carry Gun Owners

This is a discussion on Philadelphia Police Say They Won't Look the Other Way on Open-Carry Gun Owners within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mel Just wondering if there is an update, I couldn't find anything online with a quick search, but I would be very ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Philadelphia Police Say They Won't Look the Other Way on Open-Carry Gun Owners

JEC
    Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Just wondering if there is an update, I couldn't find anything online with a quick search, but I would be very interested in finding out how this turns out. Listening to the tape, I find it hard to believe that police would treat or interact with people by calling them junior, very rude.
    Here is the story//http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/126083-arrested-philadelphia-police-open-carry.html. Last post was three days ago. BTW it is a very long thread.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K9Buck View Post
    Am I? I've always been sympathetic to and in agreement with gun rights and just bought one myself. I shared accounts given to me by police officers of citizens calling 911 upon seeing an individual walking around with a gun. I shared accounts of other gun owners stating it is not worth the hassle they have to endure when carrying their gun in the open. And then, we have this article here where a Philadelphia police sergeant, of all people, didn't know the law.

Based on what I'm hearing it seems to me the gun lobby could and should be doing more to educate the masses in open-carry jurisdictions. That may not be true in places like Montana but, as evidenced by this article, it might be prudent in places like Philadelphia.
    Really? It is not the masses that are drawing weapons on law abiding citizens, and when pray tell did it become the responsibility of the "gun lobby" to train and educate police officers? It seems to me the blame would fall on the respective law enforcement agency for not doing a better job training their officers before they are "turned loose" on the public. I would suggest to you sir, if an officer doesn't know the law, or is not properly trained to interact with the law abiding public he needs to find another line of work! Post haste!
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do what the cop tells you while informing them that they are wrong.
    Sue them for a bazillion $$ afterwords.
    Tzadik likes this.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Yo,C`mon people...this is Philly you`re talking about. I was born and raised there and LEFT back in the early 70`s. It was becoming a toilet then. I was back in my old neighborhood last year {What`s left of it} and could not believe the destruction wreaked upon what used to be an upscale middle class section of the city. The Philly cops were always brutal if you messed up back then and some things Never change. Why are people surprised??. As a small street kid I was taught NOT to Ever mess with the cops,Excellent advice!!!,nothing happened to me or anybody I hung around with because we knew the rules. This is NOT a place to go challenging the local LEO`s,they WILL beat you down and not think anything of it. It`s Always been this way,keep your mouth shut,walk a straight line and they won`t bother you. Way to many cops in this city have been killed and they are Very Proactive about guns being flaunted around.Walking down the street with a weapon on your hip is just Stupid and ASKING for Trouble. Just my two cents!.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I've been thinking of having an open carry rally in Philadelphia right outside of Constitution Hall... I'd be interesting to see officers try and arrest 100+ open carriers where our right to "bear arms" was established.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Welcome to Philly.... Bill of Rights.... Void where prohibited by law...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I've been thinking of having an open carry rally in Philadelphia right outside of Constitution Hall... I'd be interesting to see officers try and arrest 100+ open carriers where our right to "bear arms" was established.
    You're a little late to the party. A bunch of guys from www.pafoa.org already did an open carry march/rally in Philadelphia, with no problems (they were followed closely by police), and are planning another, larger get together soon, maybe the date of Fiorino's trial.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I am getting on the ground for no one! I am not gonna be guilty until proven innocent like they like to make it.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Administrator
    Good luck with that.
    Guantes and atctimmy like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I am getting on the ground for no one! I am not gonna be guilty until proven innocent like they like to make it.
    If you draw the Billy Badguy that they appear to be, you are gonna flipping make their day. Tell us what hospital room you end up in so we can send flowers.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Screw that. I'm not getting shot for my pride. My pride can get soothed later by settling with the city.

mel
    2nd Amendment, have the group gather at the Constitutional Hall, and then let them know that they can shove their communist attitude right up where the sun don't shine.

That's like saying, "Sorry we had to Taser you for no reason while we checked your ID." It's intimidation, quasi-legally administered. We'll see where this ends up in the courts, although in a city like Philadelphia, I'm not holding my breath.
    Ruger LCP
    KelTec P11
    Ruger P89
    Taurus M380

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links