Philadelphia Police Say They Won't Look the Other Way on Open-Carry Gun Owners

This is a discussion on Philadelphia Police Say They Won't Look the Other Way on Open-Carry Gun Owners within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With a shocking altercation between Philadelphia police and a 25-year-old IT worker putting the spotlight back on open-carry gun laws, local authorities are warning gun ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Philadelphia Police Say They Won't Look the Other Way on Open-Carry Gun Owners

With a shocking altercation between Philadelphia police and a 25-year-old IT worker putting the spotlight back on open-carry gun laws, local authorities are warning gun owners that they will be "inconvenienced" if they carry unconcealed handguns in the city.

Lt. Raymond Evers, a spokesman for the city police, told FoxNews.com that gun owners who open carry, which is legal in the city, may be asked to lay on the ground until officers feel safe while they check permits.

Full Story:

After Altercation, Philadelphia Police Say They Won't Look the Other Way on Open-Carry Gun Owners - FoxNews.com
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

sounds like a double dog dare to me, the cops are just trying to stir the pot on this, i'd say the people need to warn the cops that they might need to find new jobs, this is a load of crap, i say strap em on and be legit so they can "get ya" for anything

Sounds like the Philadelphia PD is doing it out of retaliation because they made to look stupid. This was obviously a training issue within the department, his rights were violated, and they are a bunch of sore losers. I hope the judge throws it out of court and awards him with compensation.

Philadelphia - Another city in which I "will never live".
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

[B]Street cops have to follow the guidlines of the department, which in the liberal NE is usually anti-gun. I carried as an LEO in NYC for years and I can tell you these organizations won't be getting any NRA awards anytime soon!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Fear plays a huge factor in these dramas. I'm sure it would make a LEO's job much less complicated if they were the only ones who were armed but in this wonderful country where our 2A rights are protected , that's just not possible. As lawful citizens we defend our rights based on the good intentions of the majority. But LEO's unfortunately have to protect us and themselves from the actions and intentions of the scumbag minority. Thats where the rights of the majority clash with the protection from the minority. How balance is created is the key. Education, cooperation and tolerance is necessary from all sides. Whether you're a LEO or legally armed citizen, we are all in this together and we all want the same things. We are all sheepdogs and we're all on the side of the law.
    ecrist likes this.

Actions like this just increase the pool of potential jurors who would not trust the word of a Philadelphia police officer.
    bcvojak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Fear plays a huge factor in these dramas. I'm sure it would make a LEO's job much less complicated if they were the only ones who were armed but in this wonderful country where our 2A rights are protected , that's just not possible. As lawful citizens we defend our rights based on the good intentions of the majority. But LEO's unfortunately have to protect us and themselves from the actions and intentions of the scumbag minority. Thats where the rights of the majority clash with the protection from the minority. How balance is created is the key. Education, cooperation and tolerance is necessary from all sides. Whether you're a LEO or legally armed citizen, we are all in this together and we all want the same things. We are all sheepdogs and we're all on the side of the law.
    It is inexcusable for the police department to make a point of purposely "inconveniencing" lawful carriers. They can check permits without harassing someone.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I listened to the tape back in Feb or March when it made the rounds. Yes, the initial Officer who stopped him just kind of "stepped all over himself" (IMHO), but Mr. F, the open-carrier, , had he been polite, compliant with the officers demands, while still verbally stating that he was not breaking the law, might not find himself facing charges, and he would not look (or sound) like a guy with a chip on his shoulder.

LEO's, every day they strap on the belt & gun, potentially put their lives on the line for innocent civilians (us). Whether the LEO's be the consumate professional or the most comical-sad buffoon, they are still doing, however well or poorly, a job that is dangerous and they deserve us being obedient and thoughtful in our interactions with them. After the fact, if a grievance can't be settled over a cup of coffee, there will always be time to file a complaint if needed once heads have cooled.

However, my perspective comes from a personal history that includes LEO's and their departments that were honorable and professional. Mr. F has already had numerous run-ins with the Philly PD, I guess you can look at it from the point-of-view that says, "how many chances do you give them to get it right?" I still think that Mr. F's point would have been made more clearly and with less personal long-term fuss had he followed the SGT's directives.
    Tzadik likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Nice. That'll get the public to trust their LEO's more!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I wish I was a Philly lawyer, those guys are going to get rich!!!!
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I listened to the tape back in Feb or March when it made the rounds. Yes, the initial Officer who stopped him just kind of "stepped all over himself" (IMHO), but Mr. F, the open-carrier, , had he been polite, compliant with the officers demands, while still verbally stating that he was not breaking the law, might not find himself facing charges, and he would not look (or sound) like a guy with a chip on his shoulder.

LEO's, every day they strap on the belt & gun, potentially put their lives on the line for innocent civilians (us). Whether the LEO's be the consumate professional or the most comical-sad buffoon, they are still doing, however well or poorly, a job that is dangerous and they deserve us being obedient and thoughtful in our interactions with them. After the fact, if a grievance can't be settled over a cup of coffee, there will always be time to file a complaint if needed once heads have cooled.

However, my perspective comes from a personal history that includes LEO's and their departments that were honorable and professional. Mr. F has already had numerous run-ins with the Philly PD, I guess you can look at it from the point-of-view that says, "how many chances do you give them to get it right?" I still think that Mr. F's point would have been made more clearly and with less personal long-term fuss had he followed the SGT's directives.
    Did we listen to the same tape? The kid was polite, but not subservient. The LEO was rude, foul-mouthed, unreasonable, and ignorant of the law. Totally out of line.

this could get ugly!!

VIP Member
    I'm sure the bad guys go around with their scratched (serial number) guns strapped to the outside of their baggy pants.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Here is the tape.......... YouTube - ‪Mark Fiorino Arrested By Philadelphia Police - Openly Carrying - Sergeant Michael Dougherty‬‏

Although Mark seems to know the laws better than the responding officers in this case I personally would have done as the cop said and I would have been a bit less brash. All he did was raise the hostility level of all involved.

In my opinion most cops are just trying to make it home without getting shot.
    "An armed man is a citizen. A disarmed man is a subject."
    Anon.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    I'm sure the bad guys go around with their scratched (serial number) guns strapped to the outside of their baggy pants.

That is the thing. I have never seen a bad guy carrying openly because they won't wear a belt and it will make their pants fall down to their ankles.
    gatech33 and Tn Mitch like this.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links