Some help with Colorado, please?

This is a discussion on Some help with Colorado, please? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know Colorado doesn't have a reciprocity agreement with MN for my CCW to be valid, so I am considering open carry. I know the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some help with Colorado, please?

Some help with Colorado, please?

I know Colorado doesn't have a reciprocity agreement with MN for my CCW to be valid, so I am considering open carry. I know the COMMIES in Denver have their own LAWS, so I will respect that.

Are there any other things that I need to be aware of for the rest of the state of Colorado. I have read the laws for the state just wondering if there is any first hand experience from in-state/out-of-state members?

Thank you in advance for the help.

2. Remove Ads

Hmmm......More will jump in with more info, but open carry is typically OK other than Denver, Breckenridge, and maybe a few others? Here's a few resources too:

Colorado's No-Compromise Gun Rights Organization - Rocky Mountain Gun Owners

NRA-ILA ::

I am heading off, but that will get you started.

Here's more:

Open Carry - Gun Law FAQs - Rocky Mountain Gun Owners

In Colorado, based on my own experience (have been carrying for 35 years) it is really a non-issue, but then again I am in El Paso Cnty. With the obvious exception of Denver. TBH I have never even been approached by LEO's. I do carry every day. Just watch for signs as localities can post city owned property as no weapons (parks, city buildings and the like) as can private business. I would avoid public transportation since it could be sketchy.

Out of curiosity R&G, what is the deal with Breckenridge? I thought only Denver has an exception.

Some parks are posted in Castle Rock along with the PD, City buildings and the Douglas County Fairgrounds. This only applies to open carry. They can not limited CCW on public property with a mere sign. Open carry can be restricted by signage.

Get a non-resident Utah or Florida license, that should get you covered.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Colorado does NOT honor any non-res permits. MN could add CO and CO would add MN. We are suppose to honor any state that honors our permit. The problem is that the CO AG hasn't been proactive on seeking out other states.

Quote Originally Posted by GvdM View Post

Out of curiosity R&G, what is the deal with Breckenridge? I thought only Denver has an exception.
    There is actually lots of cities that have bans on OC. Denver is most noted because it made a fuss when the "Preemption" for CC was being discussed. The Denver metro area is comprised of like 25 different incorporated cities (with their own LE) and 10 counties. It's a crap shoot if you are legal or not. Crossing the street could put you in violation without even knowing it.

Personally, if you do not have a permit to CC in CO, I would advise not OCing in a metro area. Just follow the standard federal transportation laws.

If you are going to a metro area like Denver or CO springs, and you are in a OC is OK area, be prepared for potential MWAG responses from the local LEO's.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    There is actually lots of cities that have bans on OC. Denver is most noted because it made a fuss when the "Preemption" for CC was being discussed. The Denver metro area is comprised of like 25 different incorporated cities (with their own LE) and 10 counties. It's a crap shoot if you are legal or not. Crossing the street could put you in violation without even knowing it.

Personally, if you do not have a permit to CC in CO, I would advise not OCing in a metro area. Just follow the standard federal transportation laws.

If you are going to a metro area like Denver or CO springs, and you are in a OC is OK area, be prepared for potential MWAG responses from the local LEO's.
    In reviewing the laws it is my understanding that all towns are preempted by Colorado law with the exception of Denver County. Towns need to post signs at the entrances to areas where they prohibit open carry such as parks. If signs are not posted then it is legal. If this is not the case please cite.

Full Preemption only applies to CC. OC is still open to local jurisdictions, and very difficult to find accurate info. I live in a 1 square mile town in the western half of the Denver Metro area, with our own laws, regs, and LEO force. They do not post their individual laws on the web, and I have not bothered to walk the 2 blocks to the station to ask either. I do know that if I go 5 blocks east and OC, I will be in violation of the law. Might be even sooner since I will pass a school and daycare facility that is in yet another different jurisdiction.

Complete state preemption of firearms laws except that localities may prohibits the open carrying of firearms in a building or specific area within their jurisdiction.
    Very open ended and vague. Specific area could be;
    Within city limits
    On public sidewalks
    Within X feet of Y building or facility
    On city owned/maintained property
    Sporting event areas
    Parks
    Playgrounds
    Zoned as business or industrial
    ...and so on.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Full Preemption only applies to CC. OC is still open to local jurisdictions, and very difficult to find accurate info. I live in a 1 square mile town in the western half of the Denver Metro area, with our own laws, regs, and LEO force. They do not post their individual laws on the web, and I have not bothered to walk the 2 blocks to the station to ask either. I do know that if I go 5 blocks east and OC, I will be in violation of the law. Might be even sooner since I will pass a school and daycare facility that is in yet another different jurisdiction.
    At least you can OC there in some places, but they sure didn't make it easy to get around.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

I am not entirely sure that I can OC off my property. I do OC when I am doing work in the yard or, well, anywhere outside my home. I always have a cover garment of some sort when I leave my property just in case.

I've been MWAG'd once for OC, left a bad taste in my mouth for it. Too many sheep. Too many transplants from other states that are anti.

My new neighbors in the rental next door are from Ohio and Maryland. Thought I was going to get another MWAG yesterday when I was OCing mowing the lawn and realized that the woman sitting in her SUV (MD plates) right next to me was staring slack jawed and boogey eyed at me for a few minuets then tried to find another place to park. I just smiled & waved at her and kept on a mowin'.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Very open ended and vague. Specific area could be;
    Within city limits
    On public sidewalks
    Within X feet of Y building or facility
    On city owned/maintained property
    Sporting event areas
    Parks
    Playgrounds
    Zoned as business or industrial
    ...and so on.

And the entrances to every area has to be clearly posted as to No Open Carry. If it is not Denver County and not posted then OC is legal.

Colorado: The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons. Art. II, 13 (enacted 1876, art. II, 13)

This is clearly referencing open carry. Concealed carry is not a right or an expression of your rights as you have to have "permission" to CC. I am not an attorney obviously, but friends of mine are and we have discussed this in length. Personally I have carried since 1977 with zero issues. This includes Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Lakewood, Littleton, Aurora, Fort Collins, western slope towns etc..... Your mileage may vary, but this is my experience. I avoid oc in government buildings, school zones and places clearly posted. Beyond that I carry daily, almost always openly (except winter).

By all means, consult an attorney, study the laws. Keep updated on changes (RMGO is a great resource) and use your rights. Do not form opinions based on hearsay

Thank you all for the information, the trip went off without a hitch. Hopefully Minnesota AG will reach out and contact CO's AG and we can all be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by GvdM View Post
    And the entrances to every area has to be clearly posted as to No Open Carry. If it is not Denver County and not posted then OC is legal.

Colorado: The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons. Art. II, 13 (enacted 1876, art. II, 13)

This is clearly referencing open carry. Concealed carry is not a right or an expression of your rights as you have to have "permission" to CC. I am not an attorney obviously, but friends of mine are and we have discussed this in length. Personally I have carried since 1977 with zero issues. This includes Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Lakewood, Littleton, Aurora, Fort Collins, western slope towns etc..... Your mileage may vary, but this is my experience. I avoid oc in government buildings, school zones and places clearly posted. Beyond that I carry daily, almost always openly (except winter).

By all means, consult an attorney, study the laws. Keep updated on changes (RMGO is a great resource) and use your rights. Do not form opinions based on hearsay
    I would say it is a right to CC. "... to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed" doesn't say CC or OC and specific say shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    I would say it is a right to CC. "... to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed" doesn't say CC or OC and specific say shall not be infringed.
    My point is when you need a permit, then it is not a right, it is permission. I agree, constitutionally it is a right, but in practice it is not except in Vermont, Arizona, Alaska and soon to be Wyoming.. Otherwise if you need a permit it is then you are then permitted by the governing body, you cannot call that exercising your right.....

If you do not believe me try cc'ing in Denver without a permit and see what happens to your rights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links