Ohio open carry... - Page 2

Ohio open carry...

This is a discussion on Ohio open carry... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen maybe four or five people OC'ing in OH....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ohio open carry...

I've seen maybe four or five people OC'ing in OH.

I have only ever seen one person OC'ing. Oddly enough, it was in downtown Cleveland.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Someone on OFCC recently OC'ed in my area (near-eastern suburbs - Shaker Heights/Beachwood), to which I was, frankly, floored! He had a very good experience, and I'm glad for that, but to tell the truth, I was very, very surprised at the outcome.

VIP Member
    Other than guys working behind the counter at the gun stores, I have seen exactly one person carry in public in Ohio.

Well, honestly speaking, Iíve OC quite a bit and only once had a negative encounter and the fact is, I was a little surprised by it due to where I was at the time. I was on my bike at a traffic light in downtown Geneva. I was OCing my Glock at 9 oíclock(sort of rhymes, donít it?) and this fellow pulls up on my left in a pick-up. Weíre sitting there for a few moments and when his light gave him the arrow to make a left turn, he yelled something at me that I couldnít fully hear. All I caught was ďget your f******Ē. There was more to his tirade, but I couldnít make it out because he sped away before he finished. I assume it was a comment about my sidearm and not being a biker rolling through town because Geneva has a multitude of bikers cruising through during the summer.
    May be it was the combination of being on a Harley and OCing that just gave an ďOutlawĒ impression and that was what set him off. I really donít know.
    The point Iím taking so long to make is, I know a few that regularly OC in Ohio, and a vast majority of the time itís met with indifference. Iíve gotten into a few conversations about Ohioís gun laws and the 2A, and on a couple of occasions, with LEOís, and each time, it was casual, polite and a non-event so to speak. But, it (OC)certainly isnít the norm or very common.
    These days I primarily carry concealed, about 70% of the time. Not because Iím worried about causing a public panic, or being approached by LEOís. Those issues are pretty much non-issues in Ohio anymore, at least up here in the North Eastern portion of the State; and I donít CC because I feel it offers any sort of tactical ďelement of surpriseĒ benefit, because frankly, it doesnít in my opinion. I CC simply because I donít particularly like center stage, or the spotlight, and usually, I just simply donít have the time to get involved in a lengthy discussion when Iím out and about playing catch-up with my personal or the wifeís honey-do list. OC vs. CC, well that horse has been beaten to death hasnít it? There are benefits to both, advantages and disadvantages to both. I think it boils down to it being a personal choice.
    Anubis likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links