How about a shirt that says you are carrying? - Page 3

How about a shirt that says you are carrying?

This is a discussion on How about a shirt that says you are carrying? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by whec724 i don't believe that drawing attention to one's self is a good defensive strategy. ^^^ this ^^^...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: How about a shirt that says you are carrying?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by whec724 View Post
    i don't believe that drawing attention to one's self is a good defensive strategy.
    ^^^ this ^^^
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    So let me get this straight... If somebody didn't think your gun was real, you'd just shoot them to prove it?
    This would never be a question in real life. If I am displaying a firearm to someone, it is because they are posing an imminent lethal threat to myself or another person. If we've gotten to the point where I have drawn, one of two things is going to happen:

1. The assailant is immediately going to cease the conduct that made them an imminent lethal threat, or;
    2. I am going to shoot them.

The idea that anyone would fire a warning shot to "prove their gun was real" is a product of deficient training, too much TV, or both.

And if there is a fight going on in a crowded place and your family is being beaten (or about to be beaten) with a baseball bat, you'd just go ahead and shoot the guy rather than let him know he has a chance to stop and live?
    As opposed to firing a "warning shot" and killing a bystander (remember, this is a "crowded place")? How is that better?

And to think I was once told I was a criminal on this forum because I would shoot an home invader in the middle of the night without stopping to ask why he was invading my home. if this isn't hypocritical, I don't know what is.

And I carry a 9mm, by the way, and yes I carry it unchambered.

You know, just because we have different opinions on things does not indicate that I "require training."
    You're correct - the mere fact of disagreement isn't an indication that you need to seek some professional training.

It's the positions you advocate (carrying a gun that requires both hands to put in service, advocating warning shots, etc.) that indicate a need for some professional training.

This isn't "picking on you" and it isn't done to upset you or hurt your feelings. People here have tried to give you some solid advice based on many years of experience.

I submit that your desire / need to advertise that you have a firearm is misplaced and you might need to spend some time considering why you actually own / carry a gun.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    The only depiction of guns I will ever have on my t-shirt is AR-15/M-4 rifle, which I only wear at the shooting range. Otherwise, no handgun related t-shirts.

Senior Moderator
    The shirts are WAY too subtle.

Just get a CCW Sash and wear it all the time:

That way, everyone will know not only that you are into guns, but also have a CCW!
    Erick46590 and WHEC724 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    So, let me get this straight.. You carry a .22, unchambered, you believe in warning shots for a response to someone accusing you of having a toy gun and/or crowded places where people haven't discovered you are armed yet. If you can't open carry you want to wear a shirt that says, "I'm armed."

??

If you aren't a troll then you have a LOT to learn.

Who taught your CCW class? Because maybe you need to go back for some further training.
    Zing!
    JDE101 likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sounds like it is back to the old question of concealed vs open carry. Many on this forum are adamantly against open carry and others practice it regularly.
    Same old same old.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    When I went back to college I would occasionally wear gun themed shirts just to annoy the most liberal instructors. The dirty looks I got from some were entertaining but none would ever say anything.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator

This should do it.....

Here's a perfect shirt for the occasion:
    Attached Images

So let me get this straight... If somebody didn't think your gun was real, you'd just shoot them to prove it?
    Umm, what? Honestly, if that thought crosses your mind in a life or death situation, you aren't in a life or death situation. Seriously, that is nonsense...

"Never draw a gun on a man unless you intend to kill him. And believe me, if you do intend to kill him he will already know it. Then he will feel the cold breath of the tomb." — General George S. Patton

And if there is a fight going on in a crowded place and your family is being beaten (or about to be beaten) with a baseball bat, you'd just go ahead and shoot the guy rather than let him know he has a chance to stop and live?
    If your family is being beaten to death with a baseball bat, you are going to ask the BG to stop? He has already initiated deadly force; you tell someone to stop and drop before they initiate lethal force. Seriously, it only takes one good hit to kill a full grown man with a baseball bat...

And to think I was once told I was a criminal on this forum because I would shoot an home invader in the middle of the night without stopping to ask why he was invading my home. if this isn't hypocritical, I don't know what is.
    Well, I don't know why someone would call you a criminal, but I sure as hell wouldn't ask a person "why" they were robbing my house. My response would be something like this, but it is situationally dependent: "INTRUDER! GET ON THE GROUND NOW! PUT YOUR WEAPON ON THE GROUND, KICK IT AWAY FROM YOU AND GET ON YOUR BELLY! I AM ARMED AND PREPARED TO USE DEADLY FORCE!"

Honestly, why would you ask them, "Why?" That isn't your job, it's the job of the first responders you should have already called. Your "job," if you will, is the defense of your person, your property and your family.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I guess it is all relative. I am active on at least 10 other forums on the Internet related to computers, cars, etc. I have never experienced what I experience on here. Also - I have received PM's from 3 different users on this forum telling me that they too have been attacked for posting similar ideas and so they just gave up and don't post about those topics anymore. So I can't be alone, I'm just the only person who sticks around to defend myself. I would mention their names, but I assume they wanted to remain anonymous or they would not have sent me a PM.
    OK here's what you've been waiting for." You're right and every body else is wrong". Feel better?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Here's a perfect shirt for the occasion:

While the BG is laughing you may have time to load.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Umm, what? Honestly, if that thought crosses your mind in a life or death situation, you aren't in a life or death situation. Seriously, that is nonsense...

"Never draw a gun on a man unless you intend to kill him. And believe me, if you do intend to kill him he will already know it. Then he will feel the cold breath of the tomb." — General George S. Patton

If your family is being beaten to death with a baseball bat, you are going to ask the BG to stop? He has already initiated deadly force; you tell someone to stop and drop before they initiate lethal force. Seriously, it only takes one good hit to kill a full grown man with a baseball bat...

Well, I don't know why someone would call you a criminal, but I sure as hell wouldn't ask a person "why" they were robbing my house. My response would be something like this, but it is situationally dependent: "INTRUDER! GET ON THE GROUND NOW! PUT YOUR WEAPON ON THE GROUND, KICK IT AWAY FROM YOU AND GET ON YOUR BELLY! I AM ARMED AND PREPARED TO USE DEADLY FORCE!"

Honestly, why would you ask them, "Why?" That isn't your job, it's the job of the first responders you should have already called. Your "job," if you will, is the defense of your person, your property and your family.

What I don't get is that someone breaking in is met with instant deadly force, the guy attacking his family with a bat gets a warning? That just seems a little backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Sounds like it is back to the old question of concealed vs open carry. Many on this forum are adamantly against open carry and others practice it regularly.
    Same old same old.
    Actually I believe it's about someone with unconventional ideas going against conventional wisdom and then getting upset when his ideas are challenged in a way that he feels is unkind.

This forum has many threads, some are much more serious then others.

When the topic is use of deadly force and tactics pertaining to life and death situations I don't want to hear unlearned hypothetical thoughts and ideas from someone with no practical life expierence on which to base those thoughts.

I want to here tried by fire life expirences from people who have been there and done that.

Serious proven information from serious people is what you will get on this forum and I for one would not want it any other way.

My $.02 and mine alone.
    WHEC724 and fastk9dad like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What I don't get is that someone breaking in is met with instant deadly force, the guy attacking his family with a bat gets a pass? That just seems a little backwards.
    Yeah, it's all a bit paradoxical.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What I don't get is that someone breaking in is met with instant deadly force, the guy attacking his family with a bat gets a warning? That just seems a little backwards.
    Perhaps the attacking with a bat wasn't a good example. The guy(s) breaking into my house at night most likely know we are home, and probably intent to kill us before taking all of our stuff. They probably have weapons, but there will be no time to really know for sure what they are armed with.

As for the warning shot, let me be clear on something. I really can't see myself firing a warning shot. In fact, it isn't something I ever really considered until it was mentioned on here. But I do see that there are potential situations where Texas law grants me the right to use "threat of deadly force" but the person/people I want to see the threat aren't paying attention to me. The warning shot would make that very clear. Maybe it isn't my family. Maybe it is somebody i don't even know. Maybe the person getting beaten up is the one who started the whole thing. But it appears that if I don't intervene, that person may become severely injured or killed. In that position I would feel "threat of deadly" force is appropriate, but I would not feel justified in using "deadly force" unless they turned on me.

I just find it hard to believe that nobody here can possibly think of any scenario where you might need to get somebody's attention without killing them.

And let me make it abundantly clear. If I feel my life is in danger, I won't be firing warning shots. Everybody here acts like I'm preaching that warning shots are the way to go and it is a way of life or something and you need to convert to my side. I'm not even the one who started the thread about warning shots. I'd never even considered it before today. But after I stopped to think about it, I realized there might be a time and place for it. Very rare, certainly. But to say that there never could possibly exist a scenario where it would be appropriate would be foolish.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links