How about a shirt that says you are carrying?

This is a discussion on How about a shirt that says you are carrying? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by adric22 Lets have a little competition and see who does better. If you can shoot more accurately than me, I'll listen to ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: How about a shirt that says you are carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Lets have a little competition and see who does better. If you can shoot more accurately than me, I'll listen to your criticism. So far, nobody has been able to do it.
    Sounds like shoolyard stuff. If you are that good and no one can beat you, why don''t we see your name on all of the competitions as champion?

It sort of goes back to the whole issue of people saying I need "more training." which I hear a lot on this place. If you have some legitimate, logical reason for saying that, I'll be happy to listen.
    So far you haven't proved you are willing to listen at all. You have been given numerous indications of training needed but your posts haven't shown you are listening.

The point is, personal experience and finding "what works" is more important to me than training.
    That might work in math or programming when the worst that can happen is failue of a test or a break in the functionality of a program, but when your life is on the line, bullets are coming your way, or your actions are the sole determination whether some innocent person dies or not, "what works" is being able to fall back on the training you have received and worked hard at perfecting. It is a whole different ball game.

Time yourself next time you are at the range. From concealment, draw, chamber a round, fire a warning shot, focus on the threat and fire a second round in a lethal area. If it take you longer than 1.5 seconds to accomplish that, the chances are you just cost the life of a hostage. These are the things we are trying to get across.

I watch Jerry Miculek shoot a balloon at 230 yards using .22 held upside down pulling the trigger with his pinky. Can it be done, sure. I can't but you may. The balloon isn't shooting back and if he misses, which he did 3 times before he hit it, no one is going to die.

You have been given some great advice from a lot of people, many, including myself are instructors and mentors. I fear that you have an aversion to thinking that isn't yours. I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway, I'm done. Best of luck
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    Time yourself next time you are at the range. From concealment, draw, chamber a round, fire a warning shot, focus on the threat and fire a second round in a lethal area. If it take you longer than 1.5 seconds to accomplish that, the chances are you just cost the life of a hostage. These are the things we are trying to get across.
    That is some great advice, except for two problems.
    1. No shooting range I've ever been to will allow people to practice drawing.
    2. Why would I want to practice giving warning shots when I've repeatedly said this is something I would almost never do?

adric22, you and your wife should look into taking some force on force classes. This may change your outlook on self defense and allow you to experience a little adrenaline rush and defend yourself in real time using airsoft weapons so you can try out your hypothesis on defending yourself first hand and see what works and doesn't work.

here are a couple options near you:

June 25-26, 2011 - Zero To Five Feet - Pistol Gunfighting - Orange, TX

July 16-17, 2011 - Zero To Five Feet - Pistol Gunfighting - Liberty Hill, TX

September 22-23, 2011 - Zero To Five Feet - Pistol Gunfighting - Houston, TX

I am sure others can recommend more...

JD
    Administrator
    IDPA Club Map: TEXAS, find a club, start attending matches. You will get lots of draw/fire practice.

2. Why would I want to practice giving warning shots when I've repeatedly said this is something I would almost never do?
    It was your post that indicated tha you would fire warning shots to prove your gun to be real, and that you would fire a warning shot to let the crowd know thet there was a gun present. Not mine.

NRA Life Member

Winchester range on Lancaster holds IDPA matches every Thursday night at 6:00 PM. You will repeatedly draw from concealment and fire more rapidly that 1 round every 2 seconds. You also may learn what you don't know about defensive shooting. By the way- Not one of the guys that shoot IDPA carry with an empty chamber. Several of them carry Glocks.

TVJ
    Adric,

You are an nice fellow. You are a self proclaimed geek. You mean well. You CC legally. You come to DC to learn. You are a law abiding citizen and a fellow Texan. You really put yourself out here with "controversial ideas". I respect your right to your opinion and the fact that you put yourself out here. By putting yourself out there, you can grow to great heights if you are willing to change. Most people avoid or shut down which can protect but stunt growth in certain circumstances. I know this is true for me.

Your willingness to stick with this thread can mean all the difference in the world to both your self defense and the defense of your family. I strongly urge you to stay determined and stick with the suggestions in this thread. I hope you allow us as a group to help polish some of your tactical/psychological edges. Your issues, to me, are mostly psychological at source.

You state you are a really nice person. I agree. Your posts scream this.

You are nice to a self defense fault.

I totally agree with you: You are out to shoot nobody - likely ever.

I offer the following evidence:

Your shirt idea: You want something passive (the shirt) to help you actively tell bad guys to stay away. I see your positive intention. However -tactically - its a dangerous idea. This flies in the face of being a Grey Man. The shirt, ironically, increases the risk of bringing exactly what you are ill equipped mentally to deal with - life is weird this way. Bring on the Monkey Dancers that want to tangle with the "Geek with a Glock" shirt. (I strongly suggest you study both books by Rory Miller). He has martial arts background like you and is the Real Deal.

You had a brutal, nearly violent confrontation with three thugs, brutal for most civilians on this forum, let alone your personality (as I think I see it). They hadn't entered your car or tried to enter your car (no castle law yet), but one of the thugs had a "deadly weapon" with the brass knuckles. IMO, you did right by TX law and shooting them was illegal at that point unless you saw a gun (immediate lethal projectile penetration from distance.) You legally can draw down on them at that point (Sec. 9.04.) due to the disparity of force, blocking your egress, threatening posture, brass knuckle deployment.....pick any one/combo/all. But you had your family in the car....what happens if they respond with gun and begin shooting. You kept your family safe and deescalated by "taking it."

You sucked it up. Seriously dude, well done.

But could you really have shot them if they attemped to get in your car (ie escalated the threat to carry it out). I suggest at best maybe - likely not - given your warning shot ideas, shirt, fail to shoot baseball bat perp attacking your family member etc mentioned in previous threads.

I really respect your unwillingness to potentially neutralize/kill someone. But your unwillingness goes to an extreme when you want to use warning shots to a baseball bat wielding perp that wants to beat down a family member. This is a tipoff. Your niceness can get you and your family killed.

It may be worse for you to feel mean than to protect your family (if mean-ness is the feeling that equates to using your glock to neutralize the bat wielding perp). That feeling, whatever it is, is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to understand, transform, and/or dissolve. That is the feeling that stands in the way. Note that it does have a positive intention somewhere on some deep level.

Where does the rubber meet the road for you? You have a legal green light in Texas with the bat attacking perp. Shoot the guy into the ground with intense focused concentration with full intention to send every round you fire into him until hes no longer advancing to threaten.

You seem to be at a crossroads. Getting this out and helping you through it - if this is the case - is an incredibly important thread for a certain portion of posters at DC forums - sticky-worthy IMO.

I suggest the following:

1. Know Texas use of force law backwards and forwards. Take another CHL review course from a top notch CLH instructor in your area, preferably an ex LEO with years of service. He has experience dealing with perps and neutralizing threats.
    2. Rory Miller's books -read, reread, study.
    3. Ayoob books
    4. Tactical FoF training with quality instructors. Some names include:
    5. AMOK!, Suarez, Central Texas Combatives. Call them for local contacts in your area. Its aggressive FoF. You have to train yourself as a nice guy to do Really Uncomfortable Feeling Stuff. For me, the more uncomfortable it feels, the more I need it. Thats the emotional paradox. I force myself to do it to grow. You can do it. You already put yourself out there with this post.
    6. Post at DC about mental (legal) hesitancies you may have in the application of lethal force as relates to Scenarios. Keep your scenarios simple (KISS) for now. Calibrate and discuss tactics/strategy or feelings that come up that get in the way with quality members. You know who they are. There are many here.

Find your own middle ground that allows you to be a nice guy in your own way and still act assertively within the law to neutralize a grave/deadly threat to you/your family using your Glock.

Thank you for holding yourself out there.

You already have it within you.

Find it.
    Bark'n, JD, Xader and 9 others like this.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Adric,

I came across this video and thought you might benefit from it. The thing that I got was the minimal time the store owner had to react and the fact that his mind was set as to his actions. Just look at it and think about it.

YouTube - ‪Real Gunfighter Lance Thomas on Justic Files‬‏

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    Adric,
    I came across this video and thought you might benefit from it. The thing that I got was the minimal time the store owner had to react and the fact that his mind was set as to his actions. Just look at it and think about it.
    Very interesting story, one I had not seen before. I would admit that this guy is better prepared than me, both mentally and in his tactical training. However, it sounds like that was only part of his success. The other part was sheer luck as he got shot several times, once through the neck. Fortunate for him the bullet missed all of the important bits.

We all begin somewhere.

No question that luck was involved. One thing that I have learned over the years is the more I am prepared, the luckier I get. I've been shot before, I have been, and am extremely lucky.

NRA Life Member

Hey Guys and Gals,
    I have got to say, as a new member I am very impressed with the way everyone conducts themselves on this site. As a teacher and mentor to many people who work for me or with me in my field of expertice,( sales ) after 25+ years I too still learn new things or ways to do buisness from people who have more experience then me, or people that are new to the training that I give them, and just suggest a different or better way to do something that I might not have thought of.

I have been home with serious back and hip issues for 13 weeks now. I have not been able to do much as am having problems just walking. Needless to say I have had alot of time on my hands. I have literally spent hours just getting to know the site and the people who post on it. I have learned more by just reading what everyone else posts and realize that C/C is something that is to be taken QUITE seriously and not to be taken lightly. Since reading alot of posts in regards to training, my wife and I have signed up for classes in our area.I myself have been hunting and fishing for years and although I concider myself farily knowledgable in regards to gun safety and everything that goes along with being a responsible gun owner, I basically knew nothing about C/C other then to go down to the courthouse, apply for my permit and was told I could carry a concealed weapon after passing all backround checks. I really APPRECIATE the information that I have learned from this site and all its members, as it has been a very eye opening experience for me. Just makes me think that there are alot of other people out there with quite a bit more knowledge then I have. I would take any suggestions as constructive and not demeaning. I just want to thank everyone for everything that I have learned and that I am never to old to learn something new from someone with more experience then me.

Regards,
    Tom
    Bark'n, TVJ, Stubborn and 1 others like this.

Welcome to the site. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Training is a journey, the more you get, the smoother the journey. Get as much as you can as often as you can.

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I am glad as new as you are to carrying that you have it all figured out like the open chamber guy. Discretion and surprise are your friends. When you put your cards on the table you make it real easy for someone to size you up and gain the advantage. In dealing with criminals and gang members over the years I have found that they use their own form of social hacking to obtain their weapons when they can't be bought off the street. Identifying firearm owners by their clothes or bumper stickers or other things such as NRA stickers or gun racks in vehicles. Following them home or to parking lots, casing their homes or cars, and burglarizing them to obtain the weapons they require.
    Excellent point. I just dropped off an old S&W .38 Special to be worked on and the gunsmith did the most considerate thing for me. When he wrote my ticket out, he put my name and number but left my address off of the form. He said that he does that for safety reasons. If I loose my ticket, for example, someone wouldn't know I had a gun and then track me down by my address for the purpose of stealing my gun/s. He said that he is a personal defense instructor and has heard all kinds of horror stories.

This is similar to the reasons why I don't broadcast my toys on facebook. Why let BGs know what you have to steal and where to come to get it?

Granted straw purchases are the number one way they acquire weapons but why let people know what you have? There was a poster on here whose own cousin? and his friends Home invaded him and stole his weapons because he knew he had them. Discretion and surprise are in your favor until you start broadcasting things. Criminals are getting more violent and more brazen with each new generation. More people = more crime. Be physically and mentally fit, train, be aware, and have discretion.... that recipe will give you the best chance of survival in the low percentage case that you are a victim of a violent crime.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    When your "different opinion" goes totally against common, well accepted training practices endorsed by many state governments [ETA: and recognized self-defense experts who have written volumes of text and testified as expert witnesses in self-defense shootings in court] and in some instances legal statues, yes it does indicate that you may be in serious need of additional training.

Try not taking the information being offered as an insult, take it in the way it was meant, to help you improve your self defense responses. There are thousands if not tens of thousands of hours of training and real world experiences behind the info you are being given for free. That training was not free for the instructors that give it and the real world experience was paid for in the ultimate way for those that gave it all and we learn from their errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'd consider that to be a clue that maybe your ideas aren't that great and that maybe you really need to take a another look at your philosophies on things, the reason that it goes to attacks is that it almost seems that you are being deliberately obtuse. Also "Required" training is a checkmark, not a benchmark. There's more to carry than just gun handling and shooting and it seems that your lacking some of the mental aspects of the matter.

You seem to have a lot of heart, and I'm glad you're seeking more knowledge, but you may be better off reading more, speaking less. Forums are great and all, but I suggest you actually turn to some actual honest to goodness books that should be the "required" reading for those wanting to carry.
    Between the above and Lima and JD's posts, this is pretty much where I am with this. Re-posted for posterity. I've learned a lot from this site in the last 5 years...and attending additional training courses and put all of it to the test in Bosnia (1997,1999), Iraq (2003,2004), and Afghanistan (2008,2009).

I also understand people learn at different speeds. There is always more to learn...tactics, mindset...but nothing beats force on force where your "good ideas" on how things "should" go when dealing with a BG don't match with reality...and getting your clock cleaned in training is better than being hurt or killed in real life....High recommend seeking additional training beyond putting holes in paper.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links