My first open carry experience

This is a discussion on My first open carry experience within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had my LTCF for about a year now and, even though OC is legal in my state I have never tried it. I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Andriss
  • 1 Post By MinistrMalic

Thread: My first open carry experience

My first open carry experience

I have had my LTCF for about a year now and, even though OC is legal in my state I have never tried it. I always assumed people would freak out as soon as they saw me with a gun and I would get a lot of attention. I moved to Virginia this morning and after checking the firearm laws I decided to try walking around my apartment complex while openly carrying. What I found was that no one noticed. At this point I decided to drive around and maybe open carry in a business. Ultimately I decided to go into Dollar General to buy shampoo. There was a lot of people in the store but no one said anything or even seemed to notice. I'm glad I decided to do it.

2. Remove Ads

I am glad you had a positive experience.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of firearm were you carrying and what type of holster were you using?

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I am glad you had a positive experience.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of firearm were you carrying and what type of holster were you using?

OS
    Thank you for reminding me.

I was carrying a Glock 23 GEN4 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster and a Tagua double mag holster.

I was also secretly pocket carrying a Ruger LCP!

VIP Member
    You didn't say what part of VA you were in. Reception on OC here in VA varies with location, but for the largest part, it is accepted without any problems. Just a heads up, Northern VA and the Hampton Roads area are not near as accepting of it as the rest of the state.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You didn't say what part of VA you were in. Reception on OC here in VA varies with location, but for the largest part, it is accepted without any problems. Just a heads up, Northern VA and the Hampton Roads area are not near as accepting of it as the rest of the state.
    I'm in the Virginia Beach area. I have been to Northern Virginia several times for work and I always had a feeling that I might get stopped if I open carried there. I guess it's too urban for it to be easily overlooked. I will certainly use concealed carry in areas I feel open carry would draw attention.

Congrats...on having a normal day...as it ought to be!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by brian l View Post
    I'm in the Virginia Beach area. I have been to Northern Virginia several times for work and I always had a feeling that I might get stopped if I open carried there. I guess it's too urban for it to be easily overlooked. I will certainly use concealed carry in areas I feel open carry would draw attention.
    I've OC'd in VB without issue. Norfolk on the other hand is real fun! Norfolk PD sux. I live in the Richmond area (Henrico Co) and I'll get some stupid looks around where I live but really get some nice stares when in the city. Nobody ever actually said anything directly to me though. Sometimes attention is a good thing. OC needs to happen to remind people that we can do it. Trust me, I'm from a state where people stopped a long time ago (MA) and although it's still legal to do it, if you do you'll have an "issue".

My husband open carries in NoVA quite often and we've never had a bad experience. There have been a couple comments made, but they are never negative. Our favorite is some guy in a parking lot asking him "What kinda hamma' you got?" People here are too interested in themselves or what they are doing to even really notice.

I'm hoping to start OC'ing this summer once I get a good belt (which is on the way) and practice drawing. I've pretty much given up on attempting to conceal when it's nearly 100 degrees outside.

Welcome to the Commonwealth!
    Tn Mitch likes this.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I find that, the few times that I OC, no one notices. I don't do it much, but just for kicks occasionally. (and usually with my "Sunday go-to-meetin' gun to boot) But no one even sees it.
    Tn Mitch likes this.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I am a CC guy but I do wish Texas would allow for OC because I'd occasionally do it just to see if I was noticed and to help get our message out there.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Your experience is pretty typical of most open carry experiences. Congrats on doing it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Congrats, on the uneventful OC! :)
    I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
    I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating
    myself for failing to be prepared.

OC is legal here in Louisiana but I'm leery about trying it because I heard that a lot of the police aren't familiar with the fact that OC is legal. Has anyone had any bad experiences?

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Welcome to VA.

Links