Traveling to the Cincinnati area...

This is a discussion on Traveling to the Cincinnati area... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I notice that OH does not recognize my TX CHL, but that OC is legal. As far as I can tell there are no ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to the Cincinnati area...

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar

So, I notice that OH does not recognize my TX CHL, but that OC is legal. As far as I can tell there are no specific laws dictating that non-residents can't OC - so am I legally able to do so (providing I follow all additional laws concerning OC and handguns?

Also, how OC friendly is the Cincinnati area? I'm flying in to Dayton, but spending most of my time in the Cincinnati suburbs - is it going to be a major hassle?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Yes, it is going to be a major hassle, basically any of the C's (Cincinnati, Columbus, or Cleveland), are very anti-gun. Dayton is also rather unfriendly for carriers. Open carry here is pretty rare, I have probably only seen it once or twice. Once you get out of the cities more, you could probably do it and be ok, but in the cities, it would not be looked upon kindly.

Also, note that if you carry into anywhere with a license to serve alcohol on the premises in Ohio, you are committing a felony.

The area between Cincy and Dayton is pretty much my stomping grounds, so if you want any info on some of the suburbs in that area, or have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me, and I will try to get you answers
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    I'll echo what buckeye said. I can't recommend OC'ing in this area. It is legal, but expect trouble.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I concur. While OH has state preemption, I would expect to be detained, disarmed and otherwise hassled in the Cincy-Dayton area. I have never seen anyone, other than uniformed cops, OC in this area.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Let me just add a big "ditto" to what the others have said. While OC is legal, I have never seen anyone open carry except in the field or at a range. Expect to get hasseled because of someone freaking out and calling the police with a "man with a gun" report--especially in any of the big 3 "C" cities. Also, carrying is illegal in an airport terminal in OH. I know that some states allow it in the non-secure areas, but it isn't legal anywhere in the airport terminal in OH. I hope you enjoy your visit.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

One of my good friends lives right outside of Dayton (20 min) and about an hour out of Cinci. Like buckeye said the more populated areas are less friendly to it. I carry a J-frame in my pocket 99% while I am there moving about as we usually travel in to Dayton or Cinci or Columbus to do "stuff" and I dont want the hairy eyeball if my G23 happens to print some. I mount up with the 23 traveling to and from home in my vehicle. Your best bet is probably to pack a good knife in your checked luggage and keep your SA up and turned on.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Glad this was posted. Going to visit my brother in law in Cinci this summer. Was going to check for Michigan permit acceptance but area knowledge helps!
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I live across the river in northern KY, I would not OC in the greater Cincy area. I do OC in northern KY without incident.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Cinci must be a REAL popular place, it's always featured on "The First 48".

Note: Take extra mags...
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 16th, 2011 at 11:11 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    So, I notice that OH does not recognize my TX CHL, but that OC is legal. As far as I can tell there are no specific laws dictating that non-residents can't OC - so am I legally able to do so (providing I follow all additional laws concerning OC and handguns?

Also, how OC friendly is the Cincinnati area? I'm flying in to Dayton, but spending most of my time in the Cincinnati suburbs - is it going to be a major hassle?
    Cincinnati IS a "major hassle".

I dont worry too much as I am covered by LEOSA but I would rather not have to prove myself to some nice police officer.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Yep. Cincy is not a good area to OC, in all the years I have lived in Ohio I have never seen a person OC in Dayton, Cincy, or anywhere between. The only area worse is Cleveland but Columbus is close behind. Hmm. That doesnt leave many areas left does it. It is a shame the view of guns in so many areas of Ohio.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

While I am from NKY...I believe that you must have a permit to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle. Please correct me if I am wrong on this. Also, the firearm must be holstered on the person while in the car. Ohio is also a "must inform" state.

Carrying in Ohio is a pain. Their gun buster signs carry the weight of the law.

Good luck and safe travels,
    Joe

Sponsor
    Kevin,
    How soon is the trip going to be? Do you have time to get a OK non res permit? Ohio has reciprocity with OK. I do have to 2nd(3rd, 4th...) the opinion that OC in the Cinci area or OH in general would be more hassle than it's worth. And the earlier poster is correct in that you cannot carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle without a CCW.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Crap... automatic notification of replies must be turned off. Thanks for all the replies, sorry I didn't see them until now.

The trip is tomorrow, so no chance of getting an OK permit - I'll have to look into that though. Guess I'll be charging up that hill naked, since I'm going for an interview and I reaaaaaly don't need the hassle.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links