If it is legal, why the hassle? - Page 4

If it is legal, why the hassle?

This is a discussion on If it is legal, why the hassle? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by highvoltage The OP says OC carry with a permit. Responding officer only establishes legality after checking the permit. Besides, I don't drink ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: If it is legal, why the hassle?

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    The OP says OC carry with a permit. Responding officer only establishes legality after checking the permit.

Besides, I don't drink Kool-Aid.
    Exactly, if I am out fishing legally with a license then I am not doing anything wrong but I still expect the DNR to ask to see my fishing license.

If I take the time to get a permit to carry and OC I expect that I will be asked to show my permit, however I do not expect to be harassed about it if I am not doing anything wrong.

In all of my contacts with LEOs if you are respectful it gets you respect, these guys are just like everyone else when they are working they would much rather have a nice day of work than a crappy day.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    Feel free to disagree. Leonard Embody open carried in Brentwood. Where did that get him? There are a lot of variables...your appearance, the particular officer you are dealing with, where and what you are carrying, etc. I said once before that I've seen one person open carrying where I live. At the time, I didn't have a permit and wasn't really involved with guns. Based on his appearance, I assumed he was an off duty cop. I really didn't give it a second thought. But, while I didn't give it a second thought, that doesn't mean that everyone else (including LEO's) would have the same reaction.

I just avoid all the drama by carrying concealed.
    Leonard Embody...not the best example of an "open carrier", he was the "nut" carrying an unholstered AK style pistol through the street of Brentwood seemingly looking for confrontation from the cops.

When I open carry, I'm always dressed in slacks and dress or golf shirt. I feel the more professional the image you project, the more professionally you will be treated if confronted by citizen or LEO.
    Proud NRA member

+1 highvoltage and blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Leonard Embody...not the best example of an "open carrier", he was the "nut" carrying an unholstered AK style pistol through the street of Brentwood seemingly looking for confrontation from the cops.

When I open carry, I'm always dressed in slacks and dress or golf shirt. I feel the more professional the image you project, the more professionally you will be treated if confronted by citizen or LEO.
    I don't disagree with you in the least. Allow me to bold the portion of my original post that shows that I agree with you..

There are a lot of variables...your appearance, the particular officer you are dealing with, where and what you are carrying, etc.

I'm not against open carry per se. People who do it just to make a point, to be controversial, to irritate others (including law enforcement), or in hopes of winning the illegal arrest lottery; don't help the second amendment cause. That's just my opinion. Other opinions may differ. Opinions void where prohibited by law.

The OP says OC with a permit. Responding officer only establishes legality after checking the permit.

Besides, I don't drink Kool-Aid.
    If a permit is required I can accept that but once the permit is verified that is the end of it. Thank you sir sorry to have bothered you, any lecture or further dialog beyond what the citizen WANTS to engage in is harassment. It happens far to often. The citizen was lawfully going about his business bothering no one he should be dealt with as accordingly. That is what the question was about, why the harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    If it is legal why do the law enforcement officers in the cities and states actively suppress the rights of the individual knowing full well that they are in violation of the laws of their state?
    LEO need to deal with a MWAG call the same as they do with a a call about a man walking while black. Is the (black) man (with a gun) doing anything illegal? Threatening? If not the caller needs to be informed that it is perfectly legal for a man to walk down the street conducting his business in a lawful orderly way whether or not he is black or has a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Does that mean it is irrational for any CHL holder to defend him/herself before they are actually injured or killed by anothers use of deadly force? Or is it irrational for the CHL holder to take precautions and at times react to a threat whether real or perceived before being injured or killed.
    Sorry lost me what does that have to do with my post? Of course any person should defend themselves when they are in fear of being harmed prior to being injured. Isn't the whole point of carrying?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its also legal to parade around in your Speedo. Its your right, why don't you do that?
    1) Because a speedo will not save my life.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I'm kind of new around here but I wanted to jump in on this. I live in Philly and ever since the case that was referred to earlier in this post happened there has been a lot of talk with my friends that are cops in Philly about it. Not one of them knew the law on open carry and even after the memo went out they were still told to stop everyone that they see open carrying. The Law allows for this in Philly. I do open carry when I am on my Motorcycle. It's just easier

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post

Does that mean it is irrational for any CHL holder to defend him/herself before they are actually injured or killed by anothers use of deadly force? Or is it irrational for the CHL holder to take precautions and at times react to a threat whether real or perceived before being injured or killed.
    Sorry lost me what does that have to do with my post? Of course any person should defend themselves when they are in fear of being harmed prior to being injured. Isn't the whole point of carrying?
    The point is as a CHL holder you don't want to wait till after you have been attacked or killed before reacting, IE you want to act instead of react. LEO's may be doing exactly the same thing. Taking action, finding out the legality of the person with the gun before all hell breaks loose and they have to react to a crime or killing in progress or that has taken place.

Or do you think that LEO's should only use reactionary policing? I prefer them to be proactive in many instances.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    If a permit is required I can accept that but once the permit is verified that is the end of it. Thank you sir sorry to have bothered you, any lecture or further dialog beyond what the citizen WANTS to engage in is harassment. It happens far to often. The citizen was lawfully going about his business bothering no one he should be dealt with as accordingly. That is what the question was about, why the harassment.....
    Original post never mentions anything about continued dialogue after establishing that the carrier was in his legal right to open carry. The original post immediately suggests that any stop of a person open carrying is a suppression of rights, which it is not. Establishing legality is not a suppression of rights, once legality has been established then further harassment is.

VIP Member
    Original post never mentions anything about continued dialogue after establishing that the carrier was in his legal right to open carry. The original post immediately suggests that any stop of a person open carrying is a suppression of rights, which it is not. Establishing legality is not a suppression of rights, once legality has been established then further harassment is.
    I think AZ tried this on the immigration issue - didn't work out so well. If it is not good for that issue, why is it good for this issue?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I agree with rockbottom 100%

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    Open carry is legal in my state also, however the vast majority of people don't do it. People who do
    choose to open carry stand out and draw attention to themselves. The only way that police know that they are carrying legally is to stop them and ask them. I avoid that hassle by carrying concealed.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Cops are cops, not lawyers. They don't know all the laws.

It's legal to OC here too, and Once in awhile I do, but other times... well, just because one can do something doesn't mean it's always smart to do it.

Anyone who thinks they live in an oppressive country or is having thier rights suppressed because a police officer asked them a question, has never been out of thier own front yard.. Just go to mexico, No even better go to Canada and try to open carry and see where it gets you. Try telling a Police officer from North Korea that he harrassing you and see where you end up. Go to Thailand and tell an officer that you wish to make a formal complaint about his conduct...Just the thought makes me giggle..

Our system is far from perfect..but its the best thing on the planet..If you want to cop bash you might try finding a more meaningful avenue..How about not getting your phone call..I love that one.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

First off....I agree that if you OC, you may be subject to stopping and being asked about it.....big deal. It happens, you warrant that kind of attention from LEOs. They should approach it with appropriate tact, but you are likely to get that attention by doing so....it's part of the responsibility to not be a jerk to the LEO when being asked. You're expressing your right as a citizen, he/she is expressing his duty to ensure safety b/c he/she simply doesn't know YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrage View Post
    Cops are cops, not lawyers. They don't know all the laws.
    Agreed...BUT...one cannot effectively uphold the law if they do not know the laws to be upheld. They may not know all the laws, but it's their job to be informed to the highest degree possibly in order to perform their duties satisfactory.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWFD View Post
    I agree with rockbottom 100%
    Thanks. I just have this thing. Yesterday, in the store, I saw an individual..tall..statuesque...wearing platform heels and the shortest of white shorts. The hair flowed down to the nape of the neck and flipped up, raven black. The bangs chose a random path across the brow. The eye makeup was heavy and probably more suited for the evening, but who am I to criticize? The blouse caught my attention more than anything. Open to the waist, it displayed everything above. The voice was decidedly masculine and seemed offended that I had noticed this get up.

And that's my point with open carry. You have the right to do it. Then somebody notices and you get offended? Grow up.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links