If it is legal, why the hassle?

This is a discussion on If it is legal, why the hassle? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Minnesota and while open carry is legal with your permit, I don't see it very much. My question to all of you ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: If it is legal, why the hassle?

If it is legal, why the hassle?

I live in Minnesota and while open carry is legal with your permit, I don't see it very much. My question to all of you is this:

There are only 7 states that don't allow open carry, and there are a mess of them that will allow it if you have a CCW permit. If it is legal why do the law enforcement officers in the cities and states actively suppress the rights of the individual knowing full well that they are in violation of the laws of their state?

This is very disturbing. I was always taught that if I follow the law I don't have to worry. I was also taught that ignorance of the law is not an excuse.
    lukemagicman likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I believe its due to the fact that some LEO's just don't know the law on this...
    Riana and SIGguy229 like this.

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

What do you mean by actively suppress the rights?

If 911 gets a call of man with gun, and relays that information to the officers on duty, what are the officers supposed to do?

Do you open carry in MN? Have LEO's suppressed your rights in some way that you could give us an example of, so we might know where your coming from?

Open carry of a long gun is legal here in Texas but I don't find many people doing it. Why because is isn't prudent to walk into Walmart or the grocery store or the bank with a rifle in hand or slung over your shoulder. Others may have a different opinion, but based on the lack of folks walking around with long guns in their hands, it is a minority.
    limatunes and Hieny like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Open carry is legal in my state also, however the vast majority of people don't do it. People who do choose to open carry stand out and draw attention to themselves. The only way that police know that they are carrying legally is to stop them and ask them. I avoid that hassle by carrying concealed.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    I believe its due to the fact that some LEO's just don't know the law on this...
    This is true, just as there are many LEO that don't think anyone but LE should be armed and operate out of the you may beat the wrap but you can't beat the ride mentality
    Riana and C hawk Glock like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    This is true, just as there are many LEO that don't think anyone but LE should be armed and operate out of the you may beat the wrap but you can't beat the ride mentality
    That could get expensive for their jurisdictions.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    That could get expensive for their jurisdictions.
    I wish this were true, but it likely isn't. Unless the judge is looking to make a point, you might get your legal expenses covered if you win, and you may not even get that.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    Open carry is legal in my state also, however the vast majority of people don't do it. People who do choose to open carry stand out and draw attention to themselves. The only way that police know that they are carrying legally is to stop them and ask them. I avoid that hassle by carrying concealed.
    Absent any RAS (which doing a legal activity is not) the police should not bother someone just to check their papers.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    If 911 gets a call of man with gun, and relays that information to the officers on duty, what are the officers supposed to do?
    Some jurisdictions actually train their 911 operators.

Sheep: "There's a guy with a gun!"
    Operator "What is he doing?"
    Sheep: "He's grocery shopping, but there's a gun on his hip!"
    Operator: "Ma'am, that's perfectly legal in this state. Further calls of this nature will result in a charge of misuse of emergency services."
    Sheep: "....." *click*

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    What do you mean by actively suppress the rights?

Do you open carry in MN? Have LEO's suppressed your rights in some way that you could give us an example of, so we might know where your coming from?

Open carry of a long gun is legal here in Texas but I don't find many people doing it. Why because is isn't prudent to walk into Walmart or the grocery store or the bank with a rifle in hand or slung over your shoulder. Others may have a different opinion, but based on the lack of folks walking around with long guns in their hands, it is a minority.
    Yes, I have open carried in Minnesota as it is within my rights.

No, LEO's have not suppressed MY individual rights to open carry in the state of Minnesota. What I was trying to convey through that statement was the fact that there are cities, municipalities and states in this country that do suppress the rights of their citizens. If it is legal in a given state and there is no ability for subdivisions of the government that can enact a law preventing it then why do the elected officials and their minions take it upon themselves to create what could only be viewed at the simplest level as a police state. I can use the incident in Madison, and yes to even some degree the one in Philadelphia as prime examples.

I do understand the concept and advantage of carrying concealed and I am a firm believer in it. My only gripe is if it is legal why the oppression, that is all.
    lukemagicman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Yes, I have open carried in Minnesota as it is within my rights.

No, LEO's have not suppressed MY individual rights to open carry in the state of Minnesota. What I was trying to convey through that statement was the fact that there are cities, municipalities and states in this country that do suppress the rights of their citizens. If it is legal in a given state and there is no ability for subdivisions of the government that can enact a law preventing it then why do the elected officials and their minions take it upon themselves to create what could only be viewed at the simplest level as a police state. I can use the incident in Madison, and yes to even some degree the one in Philadelphia as prime examples.

I do understand the concept and advantage of carrying concealed and I am a firm believer in it. My only gripe is if it is legal why the oppression, that is all.
    Because, we think we are free, when in truth, we are a whisper away from being slaves to the state.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Because, we think we are free, when in truth, we are a whisper away from being slaves to the state.
    AMEN "Harryball" like I say...we are one generation away from this country being unrecognizable. The SAD part is, that will mean every brave man and woman that has died defending this Country over the last 235 years will have died in vain. and thats pretty hard to stomach.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    AMEN "Harryball" like I say...we are one generation away from this country being unrecognizable. The SAD part is, that will mean every brave man and woman that has died defending this Country over the last 235 years will have died in vain. and thats pretty hard to stomach.
    It should make every man, woman, and child cry for what we have lost, and will, over time lose all together
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Open carry of a long gun is legal here in Texas but I don't find many people doing it. Why..."

Well, it's pretty tough to CC a long gun...

"Open carry is legal in my state also, however the vast majority of people don't do it. People who do choose to open carry stand out and draw attention to themselves. The only way that police know that they are carrying legally is to stop them and ask them."

Didn't you just say OC is legal in your state? Then why should it be questioned?

OP, some love to say OC makes you a target. I'm willing to say more (far, far more) people without a visible means of SD are targeted by BGs than those who are OC'ing. Are OC'ers occasionally targeted? Sure. Are those who don't OC targeted? Sure, much more frequently. If anyone thinks the lack of a visible means of self defense makes a BG think twice (Humm, does he or doesn't he pack?) before pouncing, I think they are seriously underestimating the mentality involved.
    HillbilliesRule and Ogre like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Open carry is legal in my state also, however the vast majority of people don't do it. People who do choose to open carry stand out and draw attention to themselves. The only way that police know that they are carrying legally is to stop them and ask them."

Didn't you just say OC is legal in your state? Then why should it be questioned?
    I question this as well. IF open carry is legal, then by definition, they are all carrying ​legally. The only way to know is to acknowledge their existence.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    OP, some love to say OC makes you a target. I'm willing to say more (far, far more) people without a visible means of SD are targeted by BGs than those who are OC'ing. Are OC'ers occasionally targeted? Sure. Are those who don't OC targeted? Sure, much more frequently. If anyone thinks the lack of a visible means of self defense makes a BG think twice (Humm, does he or doesn't he pack?) before pouncing, I think they are seriously underestimating the mentality involved.
    It's a simply matter of risk vs reward.
    Target A has a visible gun. Risk is getting shot.
    Target B is not visibly armed. Risk is minimal.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links