Chatted with Ft.Worth police officer this weekend.

This is a discussion on Chatted with Ft.Worth police officer this weekend. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had my car at a car show this weekend and a Ft.Worth police officer came over to look at it and started chatting with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Chatted with Ft.Worth police officer this weekend.

I had my car at a car show this weekend and a Ft.Worth police officer came over to look at it and started chatting with me for a while. Eventually the topic moved to citizens with firearms so I asked him how he felt about the possibility of open carry. I know that there are other LEO in this forum, but I think they are all from different states. Since we don't actually have open carry here in Texas it was more interesting hearing his opinion.

First of all, he said he was very much for concealed carry for private citizens. But he doesn't like the idea of open carry, not because of making his job harder by receiving tons of calls of "man with a gun." His reason was the same as others have stated on here, that it would make the person a target. So then I asked him if he felt a police officer is more or less of a target than a private citizen, being that officers have a lot of laws to adhere to. He said that he has been an officer for 16 years and nobody has tried to steal his gun. But if they did, he wouldn't hesitate to shoot them on the spot because that person would be threatening him with deadly force.

I guess for me, after hearing all of the arguments both for and against OC, I still wish that my state had it. Ironically, I think most of the time I'd still continue to CC, but it would just be great knowing that I could do something even if I didn't actually do it.

I'm fine with open carry and think that laws prohibiting it are needless and should be removed from the books. I'd never change my concealed carry habits if open carry was allowed here in Texas. I particularly don't want people to know.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm fine with open carry and think that laws prohibiting it are needless and should be removed from the books. I'd never change my concealed carry habits if open carry was allowed here in Texas. I particularly don't want people to know.
    Same here.

I wish we had it too simply because it is a right that was taken away. Give an inch and they take a mile. That said, I'd still CC 99.9% of the time but I could see myself OC to some events or rallies that, as it stands right now, I can't OC to. I want the right restored whether I use it or not.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

VIP Member
    Welcome to MN. It's open or concealed. I'll never OC, for a host of reasons, but an inadvertant printing or exposure isn't a criminal act. If you're going to OC, I suggest you wear the sash...or maybe the "shoot me first" T-shirt.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

The Tennesse law omits any reference to how a weapon is carried (most say intentionally) so we have a "Handgun Carry Permit". The choice of how to carry is left up to the individual, although from what I have observed and read on a state forum, the overwhelming majority carry concealed. The reasons are the same as have been pointed out on this forum--not wishing to be singled out by the BGs or pointed out to business owners, LEOs, etc by the sheeple who might panic at the sight of a gun. Personally, MY self defense is MY business, not theirs so I'll keep MY business private so I don't give up any advantage, don't experience any hassle, or make an LEO do anything extra that day as he has enough stress.

As far as Open Carry,you can legally open carry on your own property,IIRC and other peoples private property with their permission hence the monicker BBQ gun,I think it might be interesting to attend a BBQ and see all the cool guns and leather people are wearing,I would have to spend a lot of time making a belt and holster for just such an occassion to show off the Colt CC SS in,but would need to purchase some really nice custom grips for it also.
    As far as carrying in the General public I would very likely remain concealed,there are situations you may inadvertently walk into and be surprised by an armed robbery in a stop and rob,may never happen,but there are armed robberys that occur frequently at all hours day and night
    LongRider likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In Georgia we can OC or CC as long as you have a permit. I only OC when at home. Whenever I go out, I will CC; although I don't have a very comfortable IWB rig. Right now I use a Fobus paddle holster roughly at 3:30 position. Reason why I don't OC is I just don't want to get the "looks" from folks...just let me be, let me do my own thing.
    Sig Sauer P250
    Member-GeorgiaCarry.org
    US Navy 84-93

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gatech33 View Post
    In Georgia we can OC or CC as long as you have a permit. I only OC when at home. Whenever I go out, I will CC; although I don't have a very comfortable IWB rig. Right now I use a Fobus paddle holster roughly at 3:30 position. Reason why I don't OC is I just don't want to get the "looks" from folks...just let me be, let me do my own thing.
    I'm in the same boat as you, but for slightly different reasons. I find that IWB in my crossbreed holster is more comfortable than any OC rigs that I have tried so far. I carry a service model XD, so it isn't the smallest or lightest gun. I really like the way the crossbreed spreads the weight. I wouldn't care about getting looks from people, but I get enough attention while driving my gokart sized car around, and don't want to have two reasons to always talk to strangers, haha.

I think it is great that I CAN OC if I feel the need to, and I don't have to worry about my cover garments nearly as much. Also, in GA, if a place is posted, you can't very well OC inside, where as if you CC, they will never know, and you can't get into any trouble for doing so.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Welcome to MN. It's open or concealed. I'll never OC, for a host of reasons, but an inadvertant printing or exposure isn't a criminal act. If you're going to OC, I suggest you wear the sash...or maybe the "shoot me first" T-shirt.
    If you don't like open carry that's fine. Your choice, but where do you get your information that it makes you a target? I know of only 1 case where a person OC'ing was robbed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have never OCed...but I am glad to know I can here in Virginia...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I agree 100%. I may never OC, other than once to try it, but I hate that my option is regulated.

ALL: Let's keep this thread on topic and not turn another innocent thread in to an OC Vs. CC thread.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

eb
    IMHO I don't see how open carry would NOT make you a target. Walk down the wrong street where there are some scumbags who can't get a firearm to knock over the local liquor stores, and it would seem logical they may decide its worth the risk to try and work you over and take it. The other scenario I always think about is you're in a convenience store picking up some milk when a perp walks in right behind you. He's about to rob the place and sees you've got a gun, and decides shooting you in the back is good insurance, as you're too much trouble. Just my $.02, and its not even worth that much probably.

OC is legal here in Colorado, but I'd never do it myself. I agree 100% that the right should be there, however. Whether or not its a good idea is another can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    IMHO I don't see how open carry would NOT make you a target. Walk down the wrong street where there are some scumbags who can't get a firearm to knock over the local liquor stores, and it would seem logical they may decide its worth the risk to try and work you over and take it.
    Really? You think scumbags have a hard time getting guns?

I don't OC but could care less if others want to. When I occasionally see someone OCing, my main interest is - what kind of gun/rig does he have.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Lol really? Mind sending me both?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links