OC, CC, or combination? - Page 2

OC, CC, or combination?

This is a discussion on OC, CC, or combination? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by hk45c No one picked the last one....I had to be "that guy" LOL!! Have a good night DC Thanks for being "that ...

View Poll Results: Carry options

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • I believe that only CC should be allowed

6 4.51%
  • I believe that OC should be allowed everywhere in the USA, even if it may affend or scare

99 74.44%
  • I believe that CC is best for urban areas, and OC for more rural areas

26 19.55%
  • I believe that the police and miltary will protect me, so no one should carry

2 1.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: OC, CC, or combination?

Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    No one picked the last one....I had to be "that guy"
    LOL!! Have a good night DC
    Thanks for being "that guy"....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Given that this forum is the venue for the poll, who answered saying only military and police should be allowed to carry? Somebody trolling?

As it stands, I think the answer to this is pretty straightforward for most people here. OC should be legal except in places that are totally off limits (like courtrooms that have metal detectors and usually places to check in firearms you carry on your way there and on your way out.)

Practically speaking there are some disadvantages to OC vs. CC when it comes to the element of surprise, dealing with antis or cops that don't know the law as well as they think, laws that can be interpreted heavily, local or state laws that (unfortunately) make OC "illegal", etc. In most situations it comes down to personal preference whether to OC or CC.

Peace,

See Hk45c's post...he was being "that guy"..... :-)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    See Hk45c's post...he was being "that guy"..... :-)
    Lol, Sounds like the guy who is always standing out in formation some how =)
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I believe in peoples right to OC, but it's not a mode of carry for me. To date, I haven't found the desire for OC, but I'm not ruling it out completely as I support peoples right for it. I just haven't seen a circumstance as of yet where it is preferred over CC.
    This sums up my opinion. I believe in the right, not the practice.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

I'm in the same camp with Limatunes here. I believe it should be legal in all states, however, I believe that discretion should be used. We have all seen enough nut jobs , even here on this forum, and if it's done just to make a point, then i am against it for that reason only.
    JDE101 and wmhawth like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

What I find alarming is that if this same question would be asked to the general population......... MANY would answer number 4.
    (Maybe 30 to 40% of our country)
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I want to see OC legalized here in OK, simply so I won't have to worry about concealing when it's hot. I won't say Oklahoma weather is the hottest, but I've been to TX, AZ, LA, FL and several others. The combination of heat and stinking humidity here in OK is just miserable. I would love to be able to carry OWB and just drape a t-shirt over the top of the gun. Carrying IWB is just hot and uncomfortable in the summer here. It's not about making my gun into an intimidator to scare off potential predators, it's not about blinging my fancy gun so everyone can see it. I'd be able to wear some of those breathable soccer jerseys I have, that just happen to be semi-see-thru, at least enough to tell I have a gun there. It would just make the heat a little less miserable.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I believe in the right to bear arms, period.
    I do not choose to OC. I don't believe it's the best solution for me. If you want to, go ahead.

There are many who OC somewhat discreetly. I favor that over "Hey everybody look at me! I got a big ol' .45 strapped to my tact-i-cool thigh rig!"

Iowa has always legally allowed open carry under it's permit system. But permits were at each sheriff's discretion. Most did not favor open carry. Now, they have to allow it.

But why call attention to yourself? "A right unused is a right lost..." Well fine, but you've got the right to free speech as well... Why don't you carry a bull horn and yell through it all about your rights as you walk down the street?

There are times when open carry makes a statement. But, so do gay pride parades, in much the same way.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    OC, CC they should be legal! the second you start splitting them up to say this is legal hear and that there you weaken your stance and leave room to have everything taken away!
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Open carry is legal in my state and I like it that way. I choose not to open carry in cities and towns but I certainly support the right to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I favor that over "Hey everybody look at me! I got a big ol' .45 strapped to my tact-i-cool thigh rig!"
    I think people with this attitude are what gives gun owners a bad name

Very interesting responses!
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Do I believe OC should be legal? YES. It is legal here in Ohio. Do I believe it is smart to do so in the cities? NO!! I carry concealed and believe in being the "grey man" as far as my firearms are concerned. I have no desire to create a fuss and draw attention to myself. I don't need the sheep calling 911 about a man with a gun, and that is exactly what would happen to anyone who open carries in Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, and most smaller cities in Ohio. As previously said by another poster, the court majority is only 5-4. That isn't much, people! I don't believe in kicking a sleeping dog! I don't believe in arousing even more anti-gun sentiment among the flaming liberals! They won the last presidential election in case you haven't noticed!!!! And unless the republicans can come up with a viable moderate candidate, they will win again! And what will happen to the supreme court majority with B-HO in office for 4 more years? I shudder to think about it! So my feeling is, let the sheep continue to graze on the nice green grass and don't draw attention to your firearms! Just my .02.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I believe in the right of people to carry legally in any way that they see fit. That being said, I also agree with freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom of assembly; however, I think the decision of members of Westboro Baptist Church to picket at the funerals of soldiers who have died in the service of their country is the epitome of rudeness and disrespect for the feelings of others.

Out on the Cumberland Plateau, there's a convenience store with a deer processing station behind it. In an area like that, I have no problem open carrying. It's rural, there are a lot of gun owners around and it doesn't set off any alarm bells to see somebody with a gun. In the city where I live, it's a different story. I know that everyone that I share the city with isn't comfortable with guns. Out of respect for them (among other reasons), I carry concealed. 11% of the residents of my city are licensed to carry a handgun, but I could count on one hand the number of people that I have seen carrying openly. It's the way we live here. We try to get along with others and respect their beliefs, even if we don't agree with them.

Mmmmm, let's see...was it RKBA or RKBCA. I'm going with Right to Keep and Bear Arms, concealed or not.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links