OC, CC, or combination?

This is a discussion on OC, CC, or combination? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I voted 'I believe that OC should be allowed everywhere in the USA, even if it may affend or scare' , I feel that ...

View Poll Results: Carry options

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • I believe that only CC should be allowed

6 4.51%
  • I believe that OC should be allowed everywhere in the USA, even if it may affend or scare

99 74.44%
  • I believe that CC is best for urban areas, and OC for more rural areas

26 19.55%
  • I believe that the police and miltary will protect me, so no one should carry

2 1.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: OC, CC, or combination?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    While I voted 'I believe that OC should be allowed everywhere in the USA, even if it may affend or scare', I feel that this poll lacks a definitive purpose. The thread title, poll title, & the poll choices don't seem to jibe or work towards an objective.

I carry concealed for privacy & to retain the element of surprise against the baddies, but I'm not afraid of the possibility of my rig being uncovered as OC with a permit is legal in Minnesota. I am currently awaiting my first tuckable IWB holster (a CrossBreed QwikClip), so when I'm on my way to work in the mornings my IWB Bianchi Professional 100 is clipped between my shirt & my waistband & is visible above my belt. The first morning of carrying on the way to work, the wife had a conniption when I got out of the car to purchase a newspaper from a box on the corner - she thought that we were a CC state!

I believe that OC should be allowed for those who prefer it for whatever reason - preference, comfort, safety, or even as a type of protest. People need to understand that in a free society, the multitude of differences between us can actually make us stronger as a whole.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    No one picked the last one....I had to be "that guy"
    LOL!! Have a good night DC
    LOL! I was wondering who did it...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

It was Toby Keith that said it best for me, ( I should have been a Cowboy) because I would like to carry everywhere and anytime and Oh yeah, Open for all to see.....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I'm in stanislaskasavas' camp on this one.

OC in rural areas only is like saying only CERTAIN types of free speech is allowed in certain settings.

Makes no difference.
    Well put and very much how i feel about it too.

The second Amendment says the Right to Keep and bear arms. Not the Right to keep and bear concealed arms.

OC should be legal everywhere in the USA. If it offends someone, then they should learn to not be so easily offended. That is one of the real problems with this country now. people are too easily offended, too easily frightened and too easily cowed. This country used to be comprised of hearty individuals who could take what life threw at them. Now, sadly, it is primarily comprised of "people" who take the slightest adverse condition and sit and cry about it and get depressed and wallow in self pity. By people who's self worth is completely out of proportion to reality and who believe the universe revolves around them and their damn feelings. If only we could go back to the spirit of the individuals who inhabited this great country when it really was great, like the 1940's. Those people took care of what needed to be taken care of (WWII) then if they were lucky enough to come out of it whole, they moved on with life.

If feel pretty sure that those folks wouldn't have run sniveling from the sight of an openly carried firearm in a city. In fact I KNOW they wouldn't because it wasn't an uncommon sight. Heck, even up to the 70's and early 80's when I was in school we used to bring our deer rifles to school and leave them with the coach so we could hit the fields and woods right after class let out. We had .22 rifle shoots on the school grounds and the first place prize was another .22lr Rifle!

This country has been watered down and touchy-feely-ed to death. I don't think it can ever recover from it.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Open carry is fine for other people but I am more interested in concealed carry for myself.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I believe that I should be allowed owm and carry any sort of weapon I choose, in any manner I choose, not just firearms. The Bill of Rights says "Bear Arms", it never specified what sort of arms. If I want to carry a golok strapped to my hip, have a mini crossbow on my wrist, and carry shuriken on my belt buckle, along with two Desert Eagles on my thighs, I should be able to.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Hmm, this poll is highly slanted. Although I believe that OC should be legal everywhere, I think that its better suited for the country life.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

oc or cc shouldn't matter. Kansas is concealed carry any where with open carry allowed in some local municipalities. You have to guess the municipalities. I know Topeka allows oc, however Wichita does not. Basically this is a nightmare for anyone open carring so you rarely ever see someone oc. I always cc and like the element of surprise, however I believe that these wanabe criminals would be detoured by a few oc patrons of any business.

I say carry what you want, when you want, how you want.

I support the rights of others to OC, but I only CC. Why give the BG the clue who to shoot first or who poses the biggest threat to them?

What the sheep do not know won't hurt them.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I believe OC should be legal everywhere though I do think carriers should be mindful as to when OC may not be the most appropriate option.

I believe OC and CC should be equally legal for all states and people should have the right to choose which they want to do based upon their own feelings and beliefs and situations. Carry is carry, in my opinion. Yeah, I think there are times when it's more appropriate to conceal and I think people shouldn't have to worry if they accidentally flash or feel it's appropriate and want to open carry.
    This is my thought. I'd love to see OC available everywhere, but my option is concealed. I don't have a problem with OC but I do have a problem with people knowing I carry and have firearms. Personally anyway I prefer to remain anonymous so as to have the advantage should a situation arise where it's necessary to employ my weapon.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I don't OC ever, but would very much like to. If I walked into a grocery store and saw a sea of people OC'ing, I'd gleefully whip my cover garment aside and join the fracas of freedom in a heartbeat; but being the only guy with a gigantic menacing bit of hardware hanging off my hip is not where I want to be. I think OC should be legal in every situation, as should CC, but I do think discretion is the better part of valor. I would likely keep CC'ing even if 25% of all my fellow citizens OC'd, for the simple desire to maintain an element of surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    I don't OC ever, but would very much like to. If I walked into a grocery store and saw a sea of people OC'ing, I'd gleefully whip my cover garment aside and join the fracas of freedom in a heartbeat; but being the only guy with a gigantic menacing bit of hardware hanging off my hip is not where I want to be. I think OC should be legal in every situation, as should CC, but I do think discretion is the better part of valor. I would likely keep CC'ing even if 25% of all my fellow citizens OC'd, for the simple desire to maintain an element of surprise.
    Hear, Hear! I also prefer to CC, but support a citizen's right to OC pretty much anytime, anywhere (with a few logical exceptions - bars, etc).
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Well put and very much how i feel about it too.

The second Amendment says the Right to Keep and bear arms. Not the Right to keep and bear concealed arms.

OC should be legal everywhere in the USA. If it offends someone, then they should learn to not be so easily offended. That is one of the real problems with this country now. people are too easily offended, too easily frightened and too easily cowed. This country used to be comprised of hearty individuals who could take what life threw at them. Now, sadly, it is primarily comprised of "people" who take the slightest adverse condition and sit and cry about it and get depressed and wallow in self pity. By people who's self worth is completely out of proportion to reality and who believe the universe revolves around them and their damn feelings. If only we could go back to the spirit of the individuals who inhabited this great country when it really was great, like the 1940's. Those people took care of what needed to be taken care of (WWII) then if they were lucky enough to come out of it whole, they moved on with life.

If feel pretty sure that those folks wouldn't have run sniveling from the sight of an openly carried firearm in a city. In fact I KNOW they wouldn't because it wasn't an uncommon sight. Heck, even up to the 70's and early 80's when I was in school we used to bring our deer rifles to school and leave them with the coach so we could hit the fields and woods right after class let out. We had .22 rifle shoots on the school grounds and the first place prize was another .22lr Rifle!

This country has been watered down and touchy-feely-ed to death. I don't think it can ever recover from it.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Let me remind you that OC is the original form of carry that our founding fathers wrote as the Second amendment.... Notice it doesn't say anything about CC... the right to BARE arms.... BARE = Show....

More Visible guns (good guns) = Less Crime....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I believe that all guns are evil and they should be banned from the face of the earth. I carry a cell phone with 9-1-1 on speed dial and a photo of Barrack Obama in my back pocket. My SHTF weapon is Mace.

Just kidding! All forms of firearm carry should be allowed, but not just in the US, everywhere in the World!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links